Should I try to get an ATT hotspot, or a Verizon hotspot? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Should I try to get an ATT hotspot, or a Verizon hotspot?

Should I try to get an ATT hotspot, or a Verizon hotspot?

My iPhone has ATT service, maybe it would be cheaper to "add" the hotspot to my contract? From what I've read, Verizon is better. I suspect I would be a "heavy" user, since I do a lot on the internet.

whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Commercial Member
Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
The answer to your question depends on where you plan to use the hot spot. When we had AT&T we found ourselves without cell service a lot while traveling ,especially out west and in more remote areas of the country. We have Verizon now and the coverage is much better but we still find some places where we don't get adequate cell service to connect to the internet. When you get down to 1 or 2 bars the internet is painfully slow or you can't connect at all. AT&T is currently a little cheaper for purchasing data so if you are a "heavy" user you better know how much you are using or either might become cost prohibitive. Good luck with your decision. To me either one is an expensive, necessary evil.

Visit to see our complete line of Casita latches and other interesting items.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
If you're doing a lot of internet on a device other than your phone, you can use the phone as the "hotspot" in a Wilson cradle booster for better signal strength and completely avoid adding any device to your ATT plan. Ours also connects to a trucker style antenna - works super!
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design:
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Take the time to look at the coverage maps for each supplier....if you do you might see what coverage is best for where you plan on traveling.
If you are headed to places like Maine you will discover that Verison is the only carrier that has any service and most of the Maine North Country is without any coverage.....both companies put towers where the population is greatest and areas that have the money $$$$....where I live in northern New York State along the Vermont state line we are lucky if we get any Northern Maine simple things like electricity are often hard to find....check before you buy any service....even the coverage maps are not always providing honest information.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
While I have found Verizon provides better coverage in rural areas, Alaska is a different story. I have both (An AT&T iPhone & a Verizon hotspot) and outside of Anchorage, there was little Verizon coverage; much better AT&T. I've been told that Verizon is "moving into" Alaska, but they are not there yet...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
We opted for Verizon as it had the most area coverage. The only dead spot we had was in Death Valley, where nearly everything cell service wise was a dead zone.

For routine email and basic browsing Verizon is great. For the 1 month we were in work mode along the Colorado River (Blythe, CA) on a bat project, we bumped the monthly 5 GB allocation to 10 GB due to large data file transfers. The Verizon hot spot is a bit pricy if you are trying to do any entertainment streaming like Netflix or Hulu. Easy to bump it up online for 1 month to avoid the excess overage charges when exceeding 5 GB.

OTOH virtually any wireless service will be slower than your home streaming with a fast router.

Having your own hotspot is super as every time we tried connecting to a campground WI-FI our security and laptop systems were messed up. Many reset your IP address and computer access name!! Yikes.

So if you have a home/business network it can be a real pain to re-configure everything back to private and secure from Public. Especially with on-line banking etc. having your own access and security is the best option. Also avoids future SPAM to your email after you register to the campground WI-FI and advertisers.
Conservation biologist specializing in bats.
Trailer = 16' Scamp
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Verison Hotspot

I absolutely agree with Larry C. we've traveled west a lot and verison coverage
is excellent.
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
I have an LG phone with mobile hot spot built in, on a Verizon prepaid plan. No extra charge, and it was the cheapest smart phone I could get. When signal strength is good, it works well. I'm using it right now.

Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We've used Verizon for all 15 years on the road. Every year it has gotten better. We've had a Verizon hotspot for about the last 10 years. It's now rare where we can't make a connection. The places we can't make a connection it hardly matters. We do have a booster for our hotspot and we've gotten signals some places the phone did not work but the Internet did.

If you're primarily using the hotspot for communication and reading it really doesn't consume too much data.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
I have Verizon and AT&T. I will be dropping Verizon as soon as my contreact expires. One Netflix movie will cost me 2 gigs with Verizon. AT&T WELL LESS THAN 1/2 THAT. one of my granddaughters used 4 gigs face timing her friend in one evening.
I took advantage of AT&T 30 gig offer and cannot use them all in a month even with grand children using it.
Tedus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
To get decent data coverage you need both providers. But I suggest to get plans from their MVNOs, you'd get more bang for a buck. I'm currently testing Verizon's MVNO, looks like a good add-on to my T-mobile prepaid plan for USA coverage. For International data coverage T-mobile's Simple choice plans are good.

Again, I'm mostly concerned about DATA coverage, I rarely use cell phone for voice conversations:-)
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
I will be staying in suburban NJ, so I will not be out in the woods. It sounds like ATT should be adequate. I will call ATT on Monday and see how much it would cost to add a mobile hotspot and 30GB data. Then I will try to compare that to Verizon.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #13
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
I have the Verizon Jetpack. It has worked well everywhere I've been since I got it.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote