Should I use snow tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #21

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've found it rather odd that people will have a set of shiny mags for summer and a set of cheap, black steel wheels for winter. Half the year they're not looking sharp.
Haha, mine just opposite: ordered the winter tires together with the shiny mags from the States, the black steel ones are the original. The cost is more than $100 to have them switched.
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've found it rather odd that people will have a set of shiny mags for summer and a set of cheap, black steel wheels for winter. Half the year they're not looking sharp. On the other hand, paying $125 twice a year to have my snows mounted and unmounted was more than odd.
So, I ran my winter tires year-round until they needed to be replaced ( which didn't take long ). I replaced them with Nokian All-Weather tires ( NOT All-Season ). They have the snowflake for winter and have a 100,000 kilometer tread warranty.
We shall see if I made a good deal, saving $250 a year and the aggravation of tire changes.
I went with black rims for cost savings plus winter salts are tough on rims. I don't mind the look at all. Other than the one time cost of the rims, the yearly costs are the same as going with one set of tires, with the exception of an hour twice a year to swap them out. For me the performance increase is well worth it.

I had Nokian All Weather tires on the Pilot. A good tire, but just a fancy name for All Season. If you drove with winter tires under harsh winter conditions you know the difference it makes in traction. Almost any AS tire has the mountain/snowflake symbol on it, which indicates they meet the minimum requirements for providing traction in harsh conditions.

I was never into winter tires until Lisa got a set with a car she got from her dad once he was not allowed to drive anymore. They made such a marked difference driving on snow and ice that I decided to get some for my truck. And wow, did it ever make a huge difference, most noticeably in stopping performance, but also in accelerating and cornering too. I also noticed increased traction in cold weather on bare pavement as winter tires are formulated to work at temps of 7°C and lower using more rubber. I always thought with having 4WD or AWD that it was not necessary to use winter tires, but I have to admit I was terribly wrong.

If I was living in Vancouver as you are, where you don't see a lot of snow that sticks around, I might likely consider going with just the Nokians.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #23

Name: Nick
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
Hello,

We will be on our round trip between Calgary AB and Salmon Arm BC on Friday and Sunday with our Toyota Sienna + 13' Boler.

The weather broadcast indicates that there will be 1 ~ 2 cm snow in the Glacier Nation Park area.

Should I use current all season tires or use winter snow tires for the tow vehicle? I will bring two tire chains if using the all season tires.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!
Eric
Hi Eric,
If you have snow tires then by all means use them! As far as chains are concerned, if you have them, take them, and know how to use them. Weather warnings in those hills are guesses at best. There are no restrictions on speed either way unless using the chains, (cable chains are lighter and less apt to cause damage if one breaks). Have fun!
Cantnotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #24

Name: Angoos
Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Alberta
Snow tires

Crossing the Rocky Mountains in winter highly recommend snow tires 100% of the time
The high elevations you can not predict the weather especially in western Canada winters.
I travel across the Western Rockies from Calgary to BC often and would never cross in the winter without good snow tires on my vehicles Way to dangerous and risky without them
Your call in the end Extreme winter weather for this weekend
Angoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #25

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
EDIT: I really meant, legally. Legally do you need snow tires on just the driving wheels or all the way around?

Yes, I know in theory all the way around

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Snow tires on just the driving wheels or all the way around?

Thanks,

Perry
Given i have a rear wheel drive car I put them on all 4 corners, because what is the point of being able to accelerate if you can't turn. I would assume in an awd vehicle you wouldn't get the full benefit of winter tires unless you put them on all corners as well. FWD seems debatable, but i can imagine a situation where your front tires are turning and pulling the car while the rear slides around in the snow, which could be fun or dangerous depending on if your expecting it or not.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
All four tires on a vehicle should always match.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #28

Name: Angoos
Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Alberta
Hi
All the way around on the tow vehicle
Good luck and drive safe
Angoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #29

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thank you all again for your input.

We had good trip. It was a wise decision to use the four snow tires: it was raining all the way most of the time, the temperature was low (though no snow on the road).

Best regards!

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires