Should I use snow tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Should I use snow tires

Hello,

We will be on our round trip between Calgary AB and Salmon Arm BC on Friday and Sunday with our Toyota Sienna + 13' Boler.

The weather broadcast indicates that there will be 1 ~ 2 cm snow in the Glacier Nation Park area.

Should I use current all season tires or use winter snow tires for the tow vehicle? I will bring two tire chains if using the all season tires.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!
Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Personally I would stick with the all-seasons, recognizing you will have to go slower in the snow than you might with dedicated snow tire.

I wouldn't bother with chains, if the snow gets that deep you have no business trying to pull a camper through it anyway.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We tried going over an 8,500 ft pass on Indiana Route 13 near Canyon de Chelly in New Mexico in May. There was about an inch or 2 of blowing snow near the top of the pass and it was very windy. We have a 4wd suv and a scamp 13, it was too sketchy to continue so we turned around to go back down, i was going 5mph or less with flashers on and with all season tires the scamp was pushing the car down in places. It was very sketchy and some serious white knuckle driving, i wouldn't recommend towing on any grades in snow if possible. I missed out some plans the next few days because we made sure to be no where near the mountains even there was even a slight chance of snow.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I think you will be fine with all season, ground temps are still to warm for snow to stick on roads, remember October 1st snow tires are mandatory for mountain driving in BC.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If your not driving at night I would agree with ground temps being good to keep the snow melting.
I don't think #1 gets much above 5000 ft so if anything #1 hwy will be covered in salt and sand make sure your windshield washer is full.
But really, how long does it take to throw the snow tires on if you have them on other rims?

happy camping!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

Alberta
Thank you all for your suggestions/ideas.

This will be the first time I drive to the mountains during 'winter' time.

My winter tires are on rims and wouldn't take me too much time to swap them. Just curious to know if winter tires will make some big differences during this time. I usually put winter tires on around middle of October.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd do it now instead of trying to outguess Mother Nature.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would bet with caution you could use your all season. I doubt chains will be needed at all. Though, if temps are mostly under 7° using your winter tires certainly would not hurt, and could be helpful in some conditions.

When I picked up my 5.0TA in Chilliwack it was at the end of January. I drove back to Calgary without any issue with just my winter tires. I took chains but did not need them.

Early this year, late January, I headed down to Arizona and area for 6 weeks. On the advice of my tire shop I left the winter tires on my truck rather than switching to my all season as I would definitely see some winter conditions even though most of the time it would be quite hot. While not idea for performance down there, I was certainly glad to have them driving through cold and snow storms both ways.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Me I would be worrying about it all trip long. Seriously. Ridiculous I know, but that is how I am wired. So I would change tires.

I took a trip to Key West last year, and where we were staying did not have any parking. In addition, the street it was on only allowed local residents to park on the street. I took my big F150 and was worried all the way down: "We are going to get there and not find a parking spot". Stupid, right? Sure enough, I found street parking one block away.

I usually don't worry, but if I fixate on something like "where I am going to park my truck?" it sticks with me until I am passed the event. Given you are already thinking about the tire issue, the worry juices for me would be flowing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions/ideas.

This will be the first time I drive to the mountains during 'winter' time.

My winter tires are on rims and wouldn't take me too much time to swap them. Just curious to know if winter tires will make some big differences during this time. I usually put winter tires on around middle of October.
I would NOT tow anything in the snow IF it was my 1st time driving in the mountains during winter conditions. I would run M/S ( mud and snow) rated tires with sipping. You don't mention if you have a 4WD system on the Sienna but you do mention chains. IMHO and for the safety of all involved, I would change TV to a 4WD or AWD with M/S rated tires for mountain driving in the snow season, AND I would not town my trailer intentionally, in the snow.
I am probably too conservative but it has kept me alive after many years of driving in the Sierras during much snow. To each his own!

Mark
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Why push your luck? It can snow in the mountains at any time this time of the year. Put the snow tires on, and have piece of mind.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #12

Registry
M+S tires are not winter tires despite their mud and snow name. Only a true winter tire, formulated to work in colder temperatures and on icy/snowy conditions is what is best for winter driving in most of Canada and lots of the northern US.

https://info.kaltire.com/difference-winter-vs-mud-snow/

Nothing at all wrong with towing in winter conditions, I do it most of the time with my cargo or dump trailer for work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
From Oct. 1st on tires must have the snowflake symbol stamp to drive mountain roads in BC. M/S would not be legal the police do random spot checks and will turn cars around that don't have the snowflake symbol.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
When the signs on the pass says "drag chains required" your trailer needs chains. Based on the number of jackknifed trucks I have seen on these passes, I just would not drive in these conditions. This is a bit more severe than the OP was thinking of, but winter conditions can get worse very fast. Just my two bits.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #15

Registry
The route the OP will be taking is a heavily traveled route on the Trans Canada Highway. Even if there is snow it is cleared quickly and with very little delay, if any. Especially this early in the year.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Agree Jim.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #17

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
M+S tires are not winter tires despite their mud and snow name. Only a true winter tire, formulated to work in colder temperatures and on icy/snowy conditions is what is best for winter driving in most of Canada and lots of the northern US.

https://info.kaltire.com/difference-winter-vs-mud-snow/

Nothing at all wrong with towing in winter conditions, I do it most of the time with my cargo or dump trailer for work.
Jim, you learn something new every day, thanks. Here in Calif the highway patrol regulates traffic in snow. When chains are required, 4wd with M/S are also allowed. I never knew of the winter tire symbol, will check it out.
Perhaps a regional thing?

Mark
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In my book 1-2 cm is called a dusting. That said, it's not uncommon for isolated spots to get more than the predicted amount. If you already have the winter tires, why not use them? If not, I don't think I would run out and buy them for a predicted dusting of snow. I despise chains and would stay home rather than use them, but as an emergency back-up plan, no reason not to bring them.

I don't think it really applies to this situation, but for serious winter towing, don't you need to think about the trailer, too? If only the tow vehicle has good traction, and you brake on a slippery surface, particularly a downgrade, won't the trailer have a tendency to try to pass the tow vehicle? Never done it and don't plan to, but just wondering...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #19

Alberta
Thank you ALL again for your suggestions/ideas/stories.

My winter tires are on.

Best regards!
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
20180920_173450.jpg  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've found it rather odd that people will have a set of shiny mags for summer and a set of cheap, black steel wheels for winter. Half the year they're not looking sharp. On the other hand, paying $125 twice a year to have my snows mounted and unmounted was more than odd.
So, I ran my winter tires year-round until they needed to be replaced ( which didn't take long ). I replaced them with Nokian All-Weather tires ( NOT All-Season ). They have the snowflake for winter and have a 100,000 kilometer tread warranty.
We shall see if I made a good deal, saving $250 a year and the aggravation of tire changes.

Tags
tires