Shoulder Season - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Shoulder Season

I E-Mailed one of the fiberglass trailer manufacturers today asking them about the temperature limitations of their trailer . Their response was it should be good into the "Shoulder Season" Since I have never heard that term in my life , I looked it up on the internet and the term was described as as a slang term for visiting Europe in the non peak season between the months of April and June . Now I am really confused !! Does anyone know what the term means in the context of my question ?
I am beginning to believe the manufacturer does not want to give me a specific answer and is being purposely evasive, I wish to use the trailer in Northern Wisconsin over the Thanksgiving Holidays for deer hunting ,so I need to know if the trailer is suitable for the temps I will encounter.

Thanks
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It all depends upon how you define the phrase 'suitable for the temps I will encounter'.

If you want everything to work like it does in the summer, you will likely be disappointed. If you are looking for someplace to sleep in comfort while plugged into shore power with an electric heater providing most of the heat, it will fill the bill nicely.

My wife and I have been out in seb-zero temperatures and been quite comfy.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
It all depends upon how you define the phrase 'suitable for the temps I will encounter'.

If you want everything to work like it does in the summer, you will likely be disappointed. If you are looking for someplace to sleep in comfort while plugged into shore power with an electric heater providing most of the heat, it will fill the bill nicely.

My wife and I have been out in seb-zero temperatures and been quite comfy.

-- Dan Meyer
I have a good idea of the temps I will encounter during hunting season and I can look up the historic averages for that time period if there is any question . I have hunted out of so called "4 season trailers" that did not function as advertised and before I purchase anything for a specific purpose ,I want to know it fits the bill. I am not foolish enough to believe that the trailer will function in late Fall in the same manner as it does in mid summer but "Shoulder Season" does not answer my question
Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can't speak for others, but I consider shoulder season in the Fall to be just before consecutive nights of a hard freeze and shoulder season in the Spring when the hard freezes are essentially over. But in both cases, it can be dang cold! It can also be effected by LOCATION. IMHO.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Thank You Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't speak for others, but I consider shoulder season in the Fall to be just before consecutive nights of a hard freeze and shoulder season in the Spring when the hard freezes are essentially over. But in both cases, it can be dang cold! It can also be effected by LOCATION. IMHO.
Thank You Donna !!! You answered my question . I was looking for a trailer that would function when night time temps are in the zero to 10 Deg F above range and when daytime temps are in the 10 to 30 Deg F range . I guess I will have to look at some other type of trailer than fiberglass for my purpose . Thanks Again
Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile What other type?

Welcome to FGRV.

ALL trailers have the same limitations. Stickies are worse in that they can develop leaks easier. Bigfoot and Escape and maybe some others make models with extra insulation for cold or hot weather as opposed to cool or warm weather.

Water freezes in any type trailer and the damage would be the same. Water would be the biggest hazard to the trailer in my estimation. That includes water in gray and black water tanks as well as drinking water. Actually, the biggest hazard would be the tubes and pipes associated with any kind of water/waste system

We carry water in gallon jugs and that way it is not exposed to the cold like it would be in a tank exposed to the weather. We also use a Porta-Potti for the same reason. You would have to have a source of heat or even these things will freeze, especially at zero. We have slept in Homelet in freezing nights, in Yuma no less, and not had any problems. Of course it does warm up considerably in the daytime.

I freeze water for cooler purposes in milk jugs and it thaws without breaking the jug, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would think that connection to shore power would be a must because, even though a furnace would give enough heat, they are run by battery and all batteries have a much shorter charge life in cold weather. I can revive the AA batteries in my camera just by placing them in my pocket or holding them in my hand for a few minutes when the camera says the batteries are exhausted.

One would have to keep an eye upon the anticipated weather also. What with the way the weather has been for the last few years, another polar vortex could be fatal to anyone trying to sleep in the out-of-doors.

Whether you decide to stay in a trailer or a motel, good luck on your hunts (trailer and deer) and be careful out there.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

NW Wisconsin
I received a second E-Mail from the Manufacturer stating that even with the optional insulation packages ( Dual pane windows, added wall insulation , insulated tanks with heat pads and insulated floor) the trailer is only designed for short term exposure /usage in temps at or near freezing . Roger , my son and I may just go back to hunting out of a tent , a much less expensive option. I understand there is probably a very limited demand for a fiberglass trailer that is capable of being used in Fall weather
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Look at Bigfoot and Oliver. Reading your post Steve, I bet you're talking about Escape. I have one and plan on being out no matter what the weather. I'll just make sure I'm plugged in so I can use my electric blanket at night!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Donna's interpretation of Shoulder season is pretty well the same as mine when it comes to camping. Early Spring, late Fall before the hard freeze sets in.

My family and friends have used Bigfoot campers during deer hunting season in northern BC and they seem to get by with them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Ontario parks puts shoulder season as the time from opening to peak, and after peak to closing, up here that's about may long weekend to school break, and Labour day to close
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Donna's interpretation of Shoulder season is pretty well the same as mine when it comes to camping. Early Spring, late Fall before the hard freeze sets in.

My family and friends have used Bigfoot campers during deer hunting season in northern BC and they seem to get by with them.
On the opening morning of the 2013 Wisconsin Deer Hunting season we had temperatures at or slightly below Zero Deg F with a 30 MPH NW wind . I will look up the dates and average temperatures for the BC hunting season , so I can compare the two. Thanks Carol
Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Steve,
In the tourist industry, "shoulder season" generally refers to those weeks of nice weather just before Memorial Day and just after Labor Day. This is when families with kids in school are no longer on long road trips and folks without kids are out in greater numbers. It's a time to enjoy summer-like weather without the crowds. But northern Wisconsin in late November is not shoulder season. I use my trailer for a hunting camp, too, and that is one reason I sold the Casita and got a Bigfoot. But don't be completely discouraged. You can winterize the plumbing in the Casita and still have a nicer camp than a tent. When I winter-camped in my Casita, I used a Honda 2000 generator to keep the battery up if I wasn't plugged into power. With a furnace, a stove-top, a refrigerator and nice mattress, it was still a great place to stay. The advantage of my Bigfoot is that I can also use the water system.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While we have only been out in about 15 degree weather in our Hunter-II, with the top up, and a 16,000 BTU Atwood furnace cycling from a thermostat, we were more than toasty inside.

As an option, almost any FGRV with an 18,000 to 32,000 BTU LP heater installed and enough battery power to keep it running, should stay warm in the zero range.

Atwood calls the furnace used in RV's the "Everest Star" for good reason, they were were used on the mountain to keep base camp tents warm.

Everest Star 7900 II Series Heating System - Atwood Mobile

Or, one could look at the current BigFoot 17.5', with the all-season package. Lot's of $$$, but they know how to build a cold weather trailer.

I'd opt for a big enough furnace.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On the opening morning of the 2013 Wisconsin Deer Hunting season we had temperatures at or slightly below Zero Deg F with a 30 MPH NW wind . I will look up the dates and average temperatures for the BC hunting season , so I can compare the two. Thanks Carol
Steve, Prince George BC area would be a good starting point for temperature comparisons... although I know they go beyond that area ..... I can't say for sure where they head to only know they need at Sat phone to check in...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think the only consideration is water freezing in the plumbing, not in the water tank.
Scamp without toilet has only one water line that goes from the fresh water tank to the sink and it's inside the trailer.

The furnace seems to take care of enough heat to be comfortable during the day and keep things above freezing at night. We spent almost a week in sub freezing temperatures down in Big Bend NP, TX. Two of the nights the temperatures got down to 5° with 4 night is the teens. However in 10 days I went through close to 3 tanks of propane. Therefore I would suggest that if you camp in really cold weather be prepared lots of propane usage.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
For hunting trips in weather that cold, you could buy either an empty Lil Snoozy shell or a regular cargo trailer with side entry, then have the walls and ceiling sprayed with 2" of polyurethane foam, and finish off with some paneling. Put some of those interlocking foam squares on the floor. Add whatever beds, cabinets, and stuff. Maybe a good double pane window or two as well. I'm sure you could make a snug trailer that would be more comfy than a tent.

Although they do make some pretty good cold weather tents, but then you're still on the ground.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #17

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If you're worried about plumbing freezing, note that ALL of the Oliver's tanks and plumbing is enclosed within a space between the hulls that is kept heated with the ambient heat from the basement furnace and water heater. I've not personally camped below about the mid twenties, but when we did, we stayed quite toasty with nothing more than the heat strips in the A/C.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Last year we crossed the southern border of the USA from FL to AZ. Virtually every night was below freezing causing us to disconnect our water to prevent freezing of the water hose. One night was so cold that the water in the campground froze.

When we find ourselves in freezing weather we look for full hook up sights. This allows us to run our electric heater. The electric heater is more than adequate to heat our Scamp 16.

It is our tradition to dump most mornings when travel. We had no freeze ups.

We always carry a half tank of water again no freezing problems.

I don't know what the shoulder seasons are but night time freezing weather in the teens seem to be relatively easy to with stand.

Our gray tank is not insulated or heated nor is the underneath plumbing insulated or heated. In two months of a lot of freezing weather we did not have a single freeze up except for the water hose the first night in TX and the campground water in NM.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We just returned from a one-week camping/hiking trip to Sequoia NP and experienced every kind of weather from hot, to mild, to cold to freezing as well as rain! Our Scamp provided great shelter in all weather. We did experience an oddity with our heater however. Rarely has our heater gone on in past camping trips (we tend to camp in the shoulder seasons closest to the summer months) but it went on a couple nights on this trip. We had noticed the lights were dimming and that at night the heater was quieter than usual and put out little heat. As it turns out our battery was low and affected both our lights and our heater. So as to conserve battery life we used our headlamps for reading in bed. We stayed cozy nevertheless because we have very comfortable bedding. See my post regarding bedding here; see entry #10. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...een-60580.html

As to using a fiberglass RV for hunting, perhaps after reading this thread you might want to change your sport to ice fishing! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/anyone-ice-fish-in-a-scamp-44677.html
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For the Shoulder season campers

This pass September the Northern Hemisphere had the highest snow coverage since 1967. Is this a sign of the coming winter?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote