Show my cracks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
I have a question regarding my boler , i am considering painting hair line cracks to resemble a cracked egg . My cousin is an artist and she paints beautifully so i trust she will do an excellent job . I have not seen any trailer done this way , i think it would look so cool . What are your thoughts on this ? Feedback please .
Attached Thumbnails
phpzLDYjOPM.jpg   phpXgPQCZPM.jpg  

Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think if you think you'd like it, then that's what you should do.

Art, in any form is very subjective. For instance, Picasso... famous painter, expensive artwork to purchase and I haven't seen any I'd give $50 to own... because it's not my style. But, that's me!

Looking at the pictures, you have a very nice looking trailer. Are you considering painting to cover flaws? Or, just because you can? If not, cracks.. perhaps some nice looking swooping graphics??

Let us know what you decide and please post pictures
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If you do, then I hope at one of the "cracks" she also paints a chicken beak that looks like it's inside pecking to get out

I thought that if (when?) I had a Compact Jr. I'd like to make it look like a toaster with browned toast slices coming out the top. Too bad that would cause an aerodynamics problem.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
I think if you think you'd like it, then that's what you should do.

Art, in any form is very subjective. For instance, Picasso... famous painter, expensive artwork to purchase and I haven't seen any I'd give $50 to own... because it's not my style. But, that's me!

Looking at the pictures, you have a very nice looking trailer. Are you considering painting to cover flaws? Or, just because you can? If not, cracks.. perhaps some nice looking swooping graphics??

Let us know what you decide and please post pictures
There are no major flaws , it is just an idea i have to be a little different . Thank you to everyone for the nice comments .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I'll agree with Donna, artistic paint jobs are by their very nature a very subjective and personal thing. What one person loves, another hates. The only opinion that really matters is the one of the person who owns the trailer. While I've seen art on trailers on this forum I thought was awful and some I thought was wonderful, I've always enjoyed seeing how different people personalize the trailers to their own tastes.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Perry, I think you're trying to crack us all up, LOL!!
I think its a great idea. Why not draw a little attention to the age of the trailer instead of giving it a 'beauty makeover' and hiding the little cracks and maybe some flaws? They (painted cracks) wouldn't be seen while traveling down the highway but while parked somewhere, that would be a nice little attention getter...

A "stressed egg"!
"All Cracked Up"
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Perry MacDonald... Add a bumper sticker " Pardon My Cracks".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I have a question regarding my boler , i am considering painting hair line cracks to resemble a cracked egg . My cousin is an artist and she paints beautifully so i trust she will do an excellent job . I have not seen any trailer done this way , i think it would look so cool . What are your thoughts on this ? Feedback please .

It's your property, so do what makes you happy. BUT, my opinion is: Don't do it!

From what I can see, you've done such a beautiful job on the restoration. That in itself makes yours truly unique. And should resale ever be important to you, keeping it as "clean" as possible is gonna be better for you in the long run...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That said, I get tired of all the societal pressure to do things a certain way "to keep the resale value." That's not to say that one shouldn't weigh that factor, as it does exist, but.... I've seen it keep people from really enjoying, personalizing, and really living with their own possessions. I've even done it myself.

On the other hand, while it's always safe to stay with plain white (and, it's a nice look, don't get me wrong), when it comes to mods I also think they don't trash your resale value as long as they are done well, neatly and competently.
Unfortunately this is often not the case, in my experience, and so I find myself mentally shuddering when (for example) a seller mentions that they've made "upgrades and improvements."

I too enjoy the neat paint jobs

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The only considerations you might have are resale value, and where you will park it.

While some may embrace the idea of unique, others may devalue the rig because of it. I custom painted my 13, and the buyer didn't consider the paint job as a problem, he intended to repaint it anyway to his own liking. He ended up keeping my scheme, only making a minor modification.

Where you park.. if you store your rig at home, your neighbors may find your tastes not to thier liking and complain about its presence, but an all white one may not offend and they will turn a blind eye and ignore it. Depends on your situation... most areas do not allow home storage, but sometimes its not enforced if there is no complaint on it.

I got away with storing mine in my driveway for years.. no one complained.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote