Showering in your Egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Showering in your Egg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Jennifer,

CONGRATS! Getting one of Randy's trailers. I don't think you could have started out any better way. I personally think a Trillium 4500 is my favourite trailer.
I hope this is not too personal, but how do you plan to shower? I have some ideas, but I would like to hear yours.
Hi,
Thank you I am very glad.

There are a couple different ways to shower and places too. However if I don't want to leave the trailer there are ways I learned when I rented a dry cabin in Alaska. Easy one is to use a plastic tub as the shower floor, use the coffee pot to heat water, mix that with room temp water and a squirt bottle. Any bottle that squeezes and that you can put holes in the cap will work. That is the quickie extreme. The other is, since I'm a nurse, there are showers at the locker room and also, since I'm Military, there are also showers at the gym on post too. !

I'd like to get a 5 lb shower bag though and a shower tent for a longer shower outside too though.

What are your creative ways?!
Jen
p.s. although any of my friends who see the picture I am using in my avatar say, "it is so big?!" It is 8x15 and does feel big.
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We have used a shower tent and an outside shower panel with all three of our 13' FGRV's, with an inflatable "Kiddie Pool" for water catchment when needed. (Also works inside in 13' Eggs) We did have one shower tent with a catchment base, but it was much harder to pack when not needed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Pump Sprayer

I've used a pump sprayer like you use to apply fertilizer/pesticides to your garden. Just buy a new one, dedicated to the shower. The wand can be shortened/modified if you find it too long. Works fine for me as it is. Cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Fill with warm/hot water, pump it up and shower away. Some may need to set the sprayer up on something to get the right height, or just bend over for washing upper body. I've only used it in the outdoors, behind a tarp, but no reason you could not use it in a kiddy pool with shower curtain surround.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have a Coleman on demand portable water heater and a shower tent.
Coleman - Hot Water On Demandâ„¢ Portable Water Heater
Canadian Tire Broadstone Broadstone Privacy Shelter : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide
Neither of which I have ever used.

I do like this idea:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-39176.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

California
Nice,

Thank you Pam, for moving the topic drift to its own thread.

Jen
Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I just looked at this and like it too. While we didn't have a bath in our 13' 1971 Boler I took out the kitchenette since we cook outdoors when camping and turned the front bunks 90 degrees to make room for a front bath to include a porta pottie toilet (Bass Pro Shop $45 on clearance) and a shower using a utility tub (Lowes $50 open box deal) along with a 16 gallon rv fresh water tank (ebay $29), a Seaflo water pump (ebay $23), and a Fastair (ebay $79) instant hot water heater mounted to the tongue, and all for well under $250. We have been using a shower curtain with sticky hooks on the front glass and walls but that isn't the best setup for the curtain, so I will probably try something similar to the above linked Trillium's PVC shower curtain rod for our shower curtain. Oh, and I did put in an accordion folding door I found at Lowe's (also on clearance) which I had to trim down a bit for the shorter height of the door using scissors and a jig saw...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...p;d=1434954886
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...p;d=1434954886
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...p;d=1441038279
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...p;d=1446520309
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:41 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
We also have used a shower tent, but found that in the high winds of OK the sides tend to wrap around one's body!

If water is scarce, a small spray bottle filled with apple vinegar, sprayed on one's body, and wiped off with paper or cloth towels, does a fair job of cleaning a person's body. Also works well as a soap-less hand cleaner.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use a product called "Fresh Bath".
Old 11-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
We also have used a shower tent, but found that in the high winds of OK the sides tend to wrap around one's body!

If water is scarce, a small spray bottle filled with apple vinegar, sprayed on one's body, and wiped off with paper or cloth towels, does a fair job of cleaning a person's body. Also works well as a soap-less hand cleaner.

Bill
Awesome and easy!

Jen
Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Every major truck stop has shower facilities if no equiped campgrounds are available.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #11

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Showering???

For several years we have used "baby wipes" when showers were not available. It takes six or more to wipe your whole body.
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We use a product similar to Fresh Bath. Amazingly refreshing clean up after a day on the road, when you just want to freshen up to get into bed.

Get them on sale here... ReadyBath Basics Antibacterial Formula Total Body Cleansing System
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Heavyweight blue paper towels (available at gas station mini shops and auto repair stores) and liquid, environmentally friendly "Camp Soap" or "Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap" with a little water.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Heavyweight blue paper towels (available at gas station mini shops and auto repair stores) and liquid, environmentally friendly "Camp Soap" or "Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap" with a little water.

That works too. We used something close to that while backpacking. Here's what use now in the trailer. Fresh Bath Outdoor Wipes - International Veterinary Science 300 - Camp Tools - Camping World
Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We use a facecloth, with good old soap and warm water, and rinse with clean warm water. Can be disposed of on vegetation. Very little cost and waste, and we feel WAY cleaner than you could ever get with wipes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We use a facecloth, with good old soap and warm water, and rinse with clean warm water. Can be disposed of on vegetation. Very little cost and waste, and we feel WAY cleaner than you could ever get with wipes.

I agree, Jim. After a few times you get your routine down. If it's inside I'm careful not to splash. If it's outside I go nuts. If the weather is good I use a watering can outside sometimes. But even if you are conserving water you could get real clean and rinse with the facecloth routine with just a couple a quarts total.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #17

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Which reminds me why I don't like using campground showers. Every time I do I end up with athletes foot. Any suggestions to prevent that?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Flip flops.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree! I'd never use any public shower without them. Cheap ones from the dollar store, and only for the shower. I keep them in a plastic grocery bag in my shower tote.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Which reminds me why I don't like using campground showers. Every time I do I end up with athletes foot. Any suggestions to prevent that?
I dislike flop flops, as they always seem to be twisting and turning under me particularly when wet (like in a shower). Also, the part about something between my toes kind of creeps me out. As a result, I use a cheap pair of Crock knock-offs ($8, WalMart). I wear them to and from the bath house and dry my feet thoroughly when I return to the trailer. Sometimes I just wipe my feet on my shaggy Australian Shepard dog, after all she is laying right there on the floor and loves the attention (kidding).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote