Side Effects of Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Well it is much to WET and cold to go camping here...we hate to camp in the rain.So I was thinking what does camping mean to me and thought maybe some other folks might want to add some stuff too. I am ready for Spring and Summer so we can get the Twist,out and hit the parks and campgrounds.

What are some of your side affects of camping. Camping causes me want to set and watch the fire,cook outdoors,go on hikes and get to know new people.Time spent with my family.Of course there is all the money you have to spend to do all of these side things the right way,travel to get there Oh wait there is the Mods too.

What about you? Anybody want to add anything?
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Camping means hiding from my 30 something year old children with their 6 kids where they cannot find me, reading the good book I have been trying to finish for a year, being out of cell phone range, photographing wildlife, exploring out of the way forgotten old C.C.C. campgrounds. Being next to my wife with absolutely no emergencies going on. Going out on volunteer amateur digs or assist in sites needing help. My favorite thing is listening to the monsoons rolling into our camp in the evenings especially in the white mountains, then watching tenter's flee at 3 am, me dry behind the trailer windows. Coffee after the camp is now empty after the storm, or the morning after the rain storm being walked by the dog.

We put up hummingbird feeders and photo the birds dueling for territory.

Watching the dog dig its way to China after a ground squirrel, the poor beastie not aware its long gone thru its rear escape hole.

Seeing the elk and white tail deer in the foggy morning meadow grazing.

Its all good really.

Harry and Kenna
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I just got home from a 3-day outing to Quartzsite, AZ. Last trip was Lake Casitas over Halloween.

Camping is when I meet face-to-face with some of the fine people I know by avitar here on this site. This time camping was forgetting to bring the Videos that I usually forget to watch when I do remember to bring them. Camping is not just a fire, but the conversations held in view of the fire. Camping is the reality extension of this virtual community.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Having been camping since I was a toddler, the side effects for me have always been about adventure. My parents were campers before I was born, so actually I went on my first camping trip before I was born (water skiing too) as my Mom was 8 and a half months pregnant with me water skiing down the colorado river.

We camped so much that I probably took advantage of it. And was only reminded of the value of spending time with family and friends when a few years ago a friend sent my Mom and I, letter/thank you cards... About what it meant to her that my parents always welcomed my brother and my friends along for the adventure. She said that it taught her values that no life experience had and that she appreciated my parents taking the time to extend the adventure to others. She loved that I always included her as well as a few other friends to go along. We saw/did things that so many others have never got to experience. It made me feel good to be reminded that my parents took the time with us, instead of being out party'en with friends.

And this summer when another friend posted pictures of a water ski trip on Facebook that I commented, what great pic's! She commented back that "your family started it" LOL , we taught both her and her now husband to ski. They were among the hoards of friends my parents always allowed to go with us.

Of course I married a camper, though he was more of a back country camper and I more of the resort type we have found common ground camping, so have continued being blessed with the adventure. And when we had the opportunity to buy the resort, I can not tell you how blessed the times we had there were, as well as the friendships that we made and have continued to reap the benifits of those friendships 5 years after selling and moving away. Camping for some is not their thing! But for me I can't imagine not being able to have experienced all I have.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Camping makes me realize what's important in life and what isn't.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Camping for me is a chance to see things that I never would have seen if I did not have the trailer. Side effects - I want to see more. It is the history major in me.

We use the Uhaul to collect and carry items for the Lakota on Pine Ridge who survive on $3000 dollars a year. Side effects - we keep going back to volunteer, taking students but staying in the trailer, so we can get some sleep.

We enjoy camping with the others who have the fiberglass bug. Side effects - we have a great time with friends visiting Chicago over the weekend, even without camping.

Oops, doesn't side effects imply imply something negative?

CindyL
Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Camping for me is a chance to see things that I never would have seen if I did not have the trailer. Side effects - I want to see more. It is the history major in me.

We use the Uhaul to collect and carry items for the Lakota on Pine Ridge who survive on $3000 dollars a year. Side effects - we keep going back to volunteer, taking students but staying in the trailer, so we can get some sleep.

We enjoy camping with the others who have the fiberglass bug. Side effects - we have a great time with friends visiting Chicago over the weekend, even without camping.

Oops, doesn't side effects imply imply something negative?

CindyL
Oh No there are always Postive Side effects to everything ....and always when it is camping!
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
to me, the "side effects" are the reason i camp.

relaxation, the fire, the lack of routine, the stars, the special time with my husband....priceless!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenny D.
Ah Camping!
We live in the middle of nowhere, 16 miles from town but we still have the need to get away. Our side effects, visiting new places, looking at the beautiful USA, enjoying the ride, loving the camp fires and conversation. No telephones, no tv's, no interruptions unless we welcome them, cooking outside (which we do often anyway), the food taste better, the coffee is better and hiking all day long. Life is great.

Thanks for asking,
Kenny & Carmen
Kenny D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Though surrounded by Nature every day, living a rural lifestyle in the woods, in a small, funky house (by north American standards), the world has encroached with more traffic, noise, the internet, the usual demands of maintaining a 'homestead', complications of living on shared family property, etc. - only when we go camping do we really immerse ourselves in Nature, where we find the heart and soul of living.

The side affects?

Wanting and wishing always to do more, to not go home.

Wondering why life seems so complicated (and why we make it so!) when the simplicity of camping seems to include all that is necessary and important.

Time together with only the welcomed distractions of Nature.

Attuned senses, noticing the little things Nature offers.

Remembering that most life on this planet goes on without the internet, cell phones, or any input from people at all!

For us, Nature heals, and has much to teach - camping is our sanatorium and class room!

Penney & Mike

PS to Lynn - Thanks for the topic, it's nice to reflect on camping on a cold gray NW day, though spring is showing everywhere, but I am curious - I always thought living in Texas meant camping year round!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Side effects of camping. I agree... not wanting to go home!

I work about 60 hours a week from mid August to late May, and get summers off. But summer in Tulsa is h-o-t, so I go somewhere cooler when I can. Camping means getting to go outside without roasting... walking trails... feeling the caress of a not-furnace-oven-hot breeze... smelling the outdoor smells... taking lots of 3D photos of scenery.

It's too bad my dear wife doesn't enjoy it the way I do. She prefers staying home and playing computer games (mainly Warcraft, which requires high speed internet connection). Those of you whose spouse enjoys camping with you... be grateful!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
One of trailer campings side effects is it makes me look at all the accumulated crap in the house when we get home in a different light.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
One of trailer campings side effects is it makes me look at all the accumulated crap in the house when we get home in a different light.
I was thinking the exact same thing today. I think I'm going to order a dumpster.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... There are no SIDE AFFECTS of CAMPING just of ~~~NOT CAMPING~~~!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi: All... There are no SIDE AFFECTS of CAMPING just of ~~~NOT CAMPING~~~!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

I have to agree with both Greg and Alf! Their comments are just what I was thinking.

Crystal
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Side effects from camping; Hating to return to work! Why can't I just camp all the time?
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote