Side mirrors? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #15

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Oh my gosh, so much to learn. I didn't know about brake controls. I assume that means when I brake on the floor pedal, I also have a hand control for the electric brakes on the trailer? So can I get that when I have the hitch installed and the transmission cooler added? When the hitch is put on, they will wire the hitch for the trailer lights? And then when I pick up the trailer it will have the electric brakes on, so I then have to have the car wired for the brakes? Is this the right sequence? Do I do that at a shop in Minnesota? Or is that what you are saying that maybe Scamp could help. I been researching for days and days and days. Eventually, I will get it. And thanks for offering your help.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
Oh my gosh, so much to learn. I didn't know about brake controls. I assume that means when I brake on the floor pedal, I also have a hand control for the electric brakes on the trailer? So can I get that when I have the hitch installed and the transmission cooler added? When the hitch is put on, they will wire the hitch for the trailer lights? And then when I pick up the trailer it will have the electric brakes on, so I then have to have the car wired for the brakes? Is this the right sequence? Do I do that at a shop in Minnesota? Or is that what you are saying that maybe Scamp could help. I been researching for days and days and days. Eventually, I will get it. And thanks for offering your help.
I am not sure what you mean by a hand control for the electric brakes on the trailer. You will need a brake controller such as Tekonsha P2 installed in the car in order for the electric brakes to work on the trailer. When you put your foot of the brakes of the car it activates the trailer brakes at the same time. A brake controller does have a lever on it that can be used if you are experiencing sway and only want to apply the trailer brakes and not the car brakes. Applying car brakes when a trailer is swaying is to be avoided.

A good hitch shop should be able to install the hitch and all your wiring for the lights and the brake controller. Buy your brake controller and take it with you when you get the hitch installed. Scamp will not do any of that for you but they will/should be able to help you adjust the settings on the brake controller once you get the trailer hooked up so that it works correctly.

You will need to tell the folks at the hitch shop that you need a seven blade plug installed on the car side - all the lights for the trailer are pre wired on the car and can be found under the back area of the car - but they dont include the blue brake wire that needs to be run from the front of the car & the controller or the wire for charging the trailer battery, that will need to added as well.

Regarding the transmission cooler. I know lots of folks here highly recommend them but be warned Subaru does not recommend them as they believe the transmission cooler they have in the car is sufficient or that was what I was told when I talked to them about adding one to my Outback. I suggest you talk to your service manager about it before proceeding if this is a new car and still under warranty. When my car was new I was told it could impact my warranty if I was to install one & had problems down the road.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Oregon law requires mirrors capable of seeing 200' behind the trailer.
If you want to test this have somebody stand 200' behind the trailer at the center of trailer width. The person needs to be visible by the driver. This is my test so I don't know how state DOTs would look at it. Also when this discussion came up a number of years ago it appeared that this was a common requirement in most if not all states.

I use strap on mirrors on each side, yes they vibrate a bit, but I can still see any vehicle that's back there. I can't see vehicles directly behind in the stock mirrors.
I'm towing a 13' Scamp with a 2005 Dakota pickup that has pretty good size stock mirrors. I used to tow with 1998 Chevy Blazer, the mirror thing was the same, I needed the mirror extensions to be legal and safe.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I too have had the Grand Aero mirrors for a few years now. By far the best ones I have used that attach to the existing mirrors. Not quite perfect as there is still a bit of vibration as baglo said, but any mirror attaching to the cars mirror housing would have the same effect, as most are just moulded plastic.

My interpretation of the 200' of viewing along and behind your trailer, is that you must be able to see into your lane, and not to the center of it, for at least 200' back. This is so you can see movement in and out of the lane you are in, whether it is someone attempting to move out of the lane to pass, or for you moving safely to the next lane. With many standard car/trailer setups your field of view angles out of your lane quickly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too have had the Grand Aero mirrors for a few years now. By far the best ones I have used that attach to the existing mirrors. Not quite perfect as there is still a bit of vibration as baglo said, but any mirror attaching to the cars mirror housing would have the same effect, as most are just moulded plastic.

My interpretation of the 200' of viewing along and behind your trailer, is that you must be able to see into your lane, and not to the center of it, for at least 200' back. This is so you can see movement in and out of the lane you are in, whether it is someone attempting to move out of the lane to pass, or for you moving safely to the next lane. With many standard car/trailer setups your field of view angles out of your lane quickly.

I think you're right. AAA has a list of state towing mirror laws and most poorly written, Oregon's if written better than most
"All vehicles must be equipped with mirrors such that the driver has a clear and unobstructed view of the rear at all times and under all conditions of load that will enable the driver to see an approaching vehicle from a distance of not less than 200 feet."

I would take that mean you have to be able to detect a vehicle 200 feet behind the trailer, which doesn't require being able to see in the center of road.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Seeing 200' behind you is possible with many standard vehicle mirrors, I can just do this with the Honda's standard mirrors if you assume it doesn't mean the center of the lane at 200 feet.

My reason for installing a rear camera in the Scamp is the recognition that 200 feet is about 10 car lengths.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I appreciate the responses and opinions voiced on this thread. My current tug/tow combo doesn't require extra mirrors, but I know my future combo will! Thanks group
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We tow a 13' Scamp with a Subaru Legacy sedan and have no need for additional mirrors and we did get the brakes when we had U-Haul install our hitch system.

A word to the wise: Do check that all systems work BEFORE you leave the garage. Our back-up lights did not work at first. Choose a weekday to have the installation done as they are very busy on the weekend and give priority to folks renting their trailers/trucks. We ended up waiting two days for an estimated 6 hour installation!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Seeing 200' behind you is possible with many standard vehicle mirrors, I can just do this with the Honda's standard mirrors if you assume it doesn't mean the center of the lane at 200 feet.

My reason for installing a rear camera in the Scamp is the recognition that 200 feet is about 10 car lengths.
10 car lengths?? It's probably a bit more than that. But 200' is a long ways back now that I think about it. I want to be able to see the first car behind me.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not sure why you want to see the car that's immediately behind you. What you need to see is the car that may be fast overtaking you, particularly if you have to change lanes to take an exit.
If someone does choose to tailgate you, there is not much that you can do. Slowing down or applying brakes will likely just aggravate that driver and maybe precipitate aggressive action on his part. And, if you are busy watching him on your monitor, you don't have your eyes on the road ahead.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I too see no need to see the car directly behind you, but instead be able to see cars that are pulling out to pass you, or for you to see that is clear to pull back into the other lane when you are passing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Probably my statement wasn't too clear but at least on Northeast interstates following cars are frequently within 10 car lengths putting them inside the 200' distance. No mirror will make me aware of them, hence the installation of the camera. Often the car pulling out is directly behind you.

As most know we rarely pull out and pass anyone on the Interstate. When I do Ginny makes a joke about if and says something like, "10AM july 10, 2013" pretending to write it down in her log....

As to mirrors, we have generally stopped using extended mirrors but have the traditional standard flat mirrors and 'corner' convex mirrors on each flat mirror. As well I virtually never pull into the right lane without 'permission' from Ginny. We are as careful as we can be and no longer cocky drivers.

Though I've said it before. When we're not on multi-lane roads, we frequently pull over for people behind us, particularly working vehicles. It usually makes someone happy and spreads the message of being a courteous driver. I think of it as the Oregon 5 car rule.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Try it out first. I wasted money buying bolt-on mirrors before I picked up my Scamp, and I found that I didn't need them at all. I like that I can see right through the Scamp windows.
Decide what's best for yourself, but my advice is to try the camper first, and see how it feels to you.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #28

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Suggest you read post #19 in this thread before offering advice.