Side mirrors? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I appreciate the responses and opinions voiced on this thread. My current tug/tow combo doesn't require extra mirrors, but I know my future combo will! Thanks group
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We tow a 13' Scamp with a Subaru Legacy sedan and have no need for additional mirrors and we did get the brakes when we had U-Haul install our hitch system.

A word to the wise: Do check that all systems work BEFORE you leave the garage. Our back-up lights did not work at first. Choose a weekday to have the installation done as they are very busy on the weekend and give priority to folks renting their trailers/trucks. We ended up waiting two days for an estimated 6 hour installation!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Seeing 200' behind you is possible with many standard vehicle mirrors, I can just do this with the Honda's standard mirrors if you assume it doesn't mean the center of the lane at 200 feet.

My reason for installing a rear camera in the Scamp is the recognition that 200 feet is about 10 car lengths.
10 car lengths?? It's probably a bit more than that. But 200' is a long ways back now that I think about it. I want to be able to see the first car behind me.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not sure why you want to see the car that's immediately behind you. What you need to see is the car that may be fast overtaking you, particularly if you have to change lanes to take an exit.
If someone does choose to tailgate you, there is not much that you can do. Slowing down or applying brakes will likely just aggravate that driver and maybe precipitate aggressive action on his part. And, if you are busy watching him on your monitor, you don't have your eyes on the road ahead.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too see no need to see the car directly behind you, but instead be able to see cars that are pulling out to pass you, or for you to see that is clear to pull back into the other lane when you are passing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Probably my statement wasn't too clear but at least on Northeast interstates following cars are frequently within 10 car lengths putting them inside the 200' distance. No mirror will make me aware of them, hence the installation of the camera. Often the car pulling out is directly behind you.

As most know we rarely pull out and pass anyone on the Interstate. When I do Ginny makes a joke about if and says something like, "10AM july 10, 2013" pretending to write it down in her log....

As to mirrors, we have generally stopped using extended mirrors but have the traditional standard flat mirrors and 'corner' convex mirrors on each flat mirror. As well I virtually never pull into the right lane without 'permission' from Ginny. We are as careful as we can be and no longer cocky drivers.

Though I've said it before. When we're not on multi-lane roads, we frequently pull over for people behind us, particularly working vehicles. It usually makes someone happy and spreads the message of being a courteous driver. I think of it as the Oregon 5 car rule.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Try it out first. I wasted money buying bolt-on mirrors before I picked up my Scamp, and I found that I didn't need them at all. I like that I can see right through the Scamp windows.
Decide what's best for yourself, but my advice is to try the camper first, and see how it feels to you.
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you read post #19 in this thread before offering advice.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #29

Florida
After driving 150 miles with a camera I would say the following.

I've had extended mirrors and a rear camera in the trailer. It's no contest, the camera is better. You can easily see what's behind you and regular mirrors show what's beside you.. Camera and normal mirrors are a great combo.

I do add small convex mirrors to the corners of the regular mirrors for a wider view.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
After driving 150 miles with a camera I would say the following.

I've had extended mirrors and a rear camera in the trailer. It's no contest, the camera is better. You can easily see what's behind you and regular mirrors show what's beside you.. Camera and normal mirrors are a great combo.

I do add small convex mirrors to the corners of the regular mirrors for a wider view.
We do the exact same thing.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #31

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you tow an eight foot wide trailer with anything other than a heavy duty pickup, you will need extra mirror width. I bought a pair of McKesh mirrors that strap from the lower side window opening and the bottom of the door. Still some vibration but they work very well. They extend 12" past the outside edge of the factory mirrors.

NW New Mexico Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

http://www.safetowingstore.com/McKes...rs-p/70007.htm
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hi,
I purchased a pair of JR products 3100 Aero Blind Spot Mirrors on Amazon. They were $29.75 each which included shipping. I see they are now listed at $27.37 which includes shipping.
They install very easily and are almost vibration free. I am extremely happy with them on our Ford Expedition..
They can be mounted either on top of your existing mirror or on the side. I mounted ours on the side (end) and we're able to fold in our factory installed mirrors without the blind spot mirrors hitting the side glass.
Here is the link to the Amazon page:
Amazon.com: JR Products 3100 Aero Blind Spot Mirror: Automotive
PatandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
If you tow an eight foot wide trailer with anything other than a heavy duty pickup, you will need extra mirror width.
The good news is the OP is asking about pulling a Scamp which as are the Casita's only 6' 8" wide which is the same width as the OP's tow vehicle with mirrors. As has been suggested they *may* find that they do not need mirror extensions to meet the 200' law - only way to know for sure is to set it up and measure it out. Agree though that the more you can see behind the better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #34

Florida
Just for laughs, the camera meets the 8 foot law and the 200 foot law. Once you have one, you can't imagine why every trailer doesn't come with one.

Best of all it costs no more than a good set of mirrors.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Just for laughs, the camera meets the 8 foot law and the 200 foot law. Once you have one, you can't imagine why every trailer doesn't come with one.

Best of all it costs no more than a good set of mirrors.
And like everything else they will soon become mandatory.
Rear cameras are already a pending DOT requirement for passenger cars.
For now, CIPA makes great attachable mirrors, here's an example...
Cipa Custom Towing Mirrors 10501 and 10502 Dodge Dakota Durango Set of 2 USA | eBay
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This adapted bicycle mirror works GREAT for my Escape towing my 13Scamp....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0049.JPG   DSCF0051.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #37

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
The strap-on mirrors do let you see better behind the trailer (Burro 13) but they vibrate so much it looks like a line of 15 cars behind me, when it's really just two!

Also, at night, the angled mirrors tend to pick up headlights more than the regular mirrors, which is very annoying.

I'm on the fence about continuing to use them.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #38

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Never had vibration problem with strapons. Maybe my eyeballs are vibrating in sync.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This adapted bicycle mirror works GREAT for my Escape towing my 13Scamp....
Once again Floyd you have come up with a cool/sweet fix to a problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I can just meet the 36 ft / 200 ft with my Escape mirrors angled out. As confirmed in a wally mart parking lot. I do really like the add on provided by Floyd. I am a big fan of enough mirror to see as much as possible. Now if I could convince DW that she want this done to her car which is the TV..... I'll put it on my todo list.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote