Sienna Written Off Today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Sienna Written Off Today

Bummer. The BH was hit in the side a couple weeks ago. No one was hurt.
We really liked this van and have owned it less than a year now. Although it was an oldie, a 2004, it looked and drove like new. Now to look for another vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
sienna 004.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne,

Sorry to see the picture and glad no one was hurt.

Apparently not worth fixing. Good luck in your search.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Florida
What does BH mean?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Like Norm said sorry to hear about the incident and also very glad no one was hurt. I get frustrated at how our society is so quick to dispose of an perfectly good vehicle that has damage to 2 door, the structure (rocker panel and pillars) look untouched.
All the best finding a suitable replacement.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Man, couple doors and some paint,, they wrote it off??!
We really like our 04 Sienna too, It has 290,000 ks on it and runs like new.
We have a 2000 Focus that got hit in a parking lot, they wanted to write it off
for 1 door a bit of paint. We had it fixed cause the pay out wouldn't replace the
quality that is left in the car.

Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Man, couple doors and some paint,, they wrote it off??!
We really like our 04 Sienna too, It has 290,000 ks on it and runs like new.
We have a 2000 Focus that got hit in a parking lot, they wanted to write it off
for 1 door a bit of paint. We had it fixed cause the pay out wouldn't replace the
quality that is left in the car.
Fred
Fred and Ian. I believe you folks are right. Just two doors and a slight dent in the pillar.

We were surprised they didn't fix it. It did have the pearl paint which is costly.

The pay out was more than we paid for it a year ago so no complaints there.

Started a net search for another Sienna and they are hard to find. May take some time.

Norm.... BH means "better half". In other words, the lady of the house.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

Name: Alice
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
I, too, loved my '99 Sienna! Over 350K miles and the engine was fine but the brake lines finally gave out. Probably should have spent the money to fix them but then I wouldn't have the Olds with a tow package that allowed my to purchase my Scamp!
altygrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If there's anything as good a Sienna it's an Odyssey.
I'm glad everyone's safe.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Sometimes the insurance company will let you buy the totaled vehicle for salvage value (a few hundred), if you ask them. You could maybe get some use out of it yet. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
We really liked this van and have owned it less than a year now. Although it was an oldie, a 2004, it looked and drove like new. Now to look for another vehicle.
If you replace it with a much newer vehicle, you should have a big update in safety features.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I had the same kind of thing happen in '96, insurance wise but I fixed it. On a 600 mile big family trip to Lake Powell, jet ski behind the motor home and my niece driving my mint Mazda p/u a fuel line broke and started an engine fire 6 miles from the lake. Someone behind them stopped and put it out, as I was ahead and never saw it. Had it towed into Page. Mostly melted plastic, hoses, a few burnt wires and a nice burn pattern to the red hood paint. I did get everything back to SD although the tranny in the motorhome blew up halfway back but that's another story. Pulled the bad stuff off, hit up the wrecking yards and took the head in to have it checked and surfaced. Funny part is when I call my insurance to get the tow bill squared away. She told me I had full coverage......I thought I only had the minimum because of the age. They sent an adjuster over and he was really confused. He had never run into an estimate job where someone has already done 90% of the repair. He came up with the exact same $ that I had been given in Page. My receipts were well less than that and they paid me my costs plus the labor figure and still came out less. They did want to total it but I argued with the guy. Replace the carb because of a little soot on the wires, really????? 10,000 miles later I did sell it. Never did repaint the hood and if anybody asked about it I always said, "hey some people paint flames on, I used fire".
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Sometimes the insurance company will let you buy the totaled vehicle for salvage value (a few hundred), if you ask them. You could maybe get some use out of it yet. Just a thought.
Mike, and Dave....I have heard of this many times but wonder if the appraisers have seen more things wrong than I/we can see. We know the passenger door was jammed shut and wouldn't open.

Cathi .. You have a good idea and we are thinking the same. This van had only the two front airbags and more is always better. We also got used to the auto power passenger side door. The newer Sienna could have both powered side doors and the powered rear hatch . It would be nice.

Perry, we would also be happy with an Oddy. They actually ride a little nicer than the Sienna's.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:45 AM   #13

Florida
Powered Doors

We bought the base model Odyssey, no powered doors. Our oldest son, knowing our tendency to buy base models, suggested we go upscale. We considered going up one level, partially because the passenger mirror has a camera and displays right side lane when the directional signal is activated.

We didn't mostly distrusting more complexity of powered everything and being a little financially conservative. In retrospect we should have gotten powered doors, particularly for the rear hatch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 AM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Norm... The one sliding door really spoiled us especially when walking out of Home Depot or the grocery store with arms full of stuff. Getting to the car on a raining day they work good too and saves some time getting into the vehicle.

PS.... The slider on our Sienna did work well but a couple months ago the remote part of it did stop working. From the Sienna forum I learned that a door release accuator inside the door would need to be replaced. A 2 hour job and to date I didn't get around to fixing.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #15

Florida
Wayne,

A side door actuator was never a desire. They seem to work well manually. Closing the rear hatch is a reach for Ginny. She's not complaining now but in another 5 years....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
If there is anyway your budget will allow, you should at least test drive a 2015 Sienna (as opposed to a 2014, 13, etc.). They are a PIA to set up for towing, but otherwise the 2015 is a very nice and versatile vehicle and much improved from the previous year(s).

The sliding doors seems to be an occasional problem, and about the only major reason I will be shopping extended service plans.
Generation 3 Sienna (2011+)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #17
MC1

Ontario
Gord... You know what you are talking about. This list on Sienna Chat confirms... Problem is we live in Canada so when it comes to vehicle pricing we get fleeced. Those new Sienna's are a king's ransom. The Toyota dealer in town is flaky. Will try not to buy from them.

Get the 2015 model year. It's a no brainer to pick the 2015 over the 2011 due to the following reasons:

1. Quieter interior from road noise vs 2014.
2. Rigid chasis from additional 142 welds.
3. Less body roll during turns
4. Better resale value because of the year
5. Better electronics - most significant
6. Better audio sound than the 2014
7. Better navigation system
8. Better leather stitching
9. Better protection from small overlap collision
10. 2015 has Blu Ray and 2014 is not capable of playing Blu Ray disc. Not clear from your post if both have the RES.
11. HVAC controls are easier to use and reach.
12. Better Dashboard.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #18

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Sorry to see your Sienna hit and written off Wayne. I recall posts when you were shopping then got it.

We had a similar write off our 69 cutlass in 81 had just moved to Wpg from Sktoon and a young guy lost control and hit the left rear side of car parked in our driveway! Wish he had hit the house settlement would have been easier. We bought it back (can you still do that?) and drove it until 87 when we moved back to ON and would have cost too much to safety. Best car i ever owned.

Good luck on your replacement search.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #19

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up for Ginny

Norm put a pulldown strap on the back you can do that
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
KBB Values

Quote:
Fred and Ian. I believe you folks are right. Just two doors and a slight dent in the pillar.

We were surprised they didn't fix it. It did have the pearl paint which is costly.

The pay out was more than we paid for it a year ago so no complaints there.

Started a net search for another Sienna and they are hard to find. May take some time.

Norm.... BH means "better half". In other words, the lady of the house.

Just using the info you have posted, in the lower 48 Provinces, it looks like your Sienna had a Kelly Bluebook wholesale value between $5-6000 USD. We took a rock hit & scratch to the side of a 2 year old CR-V, that was about the size of a dollar bill, and that repair was $1400, a lot of which was in repainting to match. With those kinds of costs, you can total a few year old vehicle very easily.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote