Sightings! From Space! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Looking at google maps recently, I discovered I can finally see my house more then a far out blur including our 85 Scamp in the driveway. Near as I can figure the photo is from June or July as there is no car (scrapped her at the beginning of June) in the driveway, but my old Pontiac is still in the backyard which was removed around the middle or end of July. Can you find your FGRV from space?
Attached Thumbnails
Home.JPG  
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes, but only in the yard of the house we left 3.5 years ago! (They need to update their images of my neighborhood!)

BTW, MapQuest does have a more recent pic of my (new) house, but the Casita's obscured by trees!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Google is running an '07 image so that accounts for what you see. I found our 'storage shelter' under which we keep our egg. I don't have a clue how to save that image, let alone circle one particular spot on the map

(I seem ta have majored in Cumputr dumiez 101, LOL!!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I think we should make a ruling that you have to physically sight an egg in the "sightings" post and no Googling campgrounds, etc.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I think we should make a ruling that you have to physically sight an egg in the "sightings" post and no Googling campgrounds, etc.
Sounds good, since I "know" that is my egg in the photo, I consider it a sighting from space I looked at two other locations near my house where I know there is a Trillium 1300 and the other that has a 4500, but I am not 100% certain that what I see is actually the eggs or some other little white square.

As far as getting the photo, I used the <Ctrl> and <Print Screen> buttons to take a copy of the screen to the clip board (much the same as highlighting text and using <Ctrl> <c>, used paint to paste and "save as" it as a .jpg . I then used Micro$oft Picture manager to crop the photo (I think you can crop in paint but I find it easier in the picture manager), then opened the photo in paint again to add the little circle (I could add the circle before cropping, but again, find it easier with the smaller cropped photo, personal preference and what I do when I need to save a screen capture for work). Easy process and paint should be included if you have a PC.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Looked at Google maps, found our house, discovered that the maps are so old they don't show businesses' that were built in 2002 that have gone out of business already.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I can get a close-up of my cabin, and my boats and car are all visible, but it was taken pre-trailer. I can tell because the neighbor's big tree was cut down soon after they bought their house last December, and the tree is still there in the picture.

In town I keep the trailer in the garage so no such view.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
(I seem ta have majored in Cumputr dumiez 101, LOL!!)
I took the same computor course
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Checking Google Maps (not Google Earth, but I assume they use the same photos), I see that my house is still covered by the same image as when Google Earth was introduced, judging from the single vehicle in the driveway... pre-Boler. The age of the photos varies by location, as more popular areas are both covered in more detail and updated more frequently.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #10

When it first came out our house was a pile of lumber. At least the house is built now, but the neighbors yard still isn't in and he did that about two years ago.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I have found that with some map sites if you rotate the image you get one from a different time...at least on my house you do. Just tried to do it with Google and they don't seem to have a rotate option....
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
My area is shown in Google Maps, etc. as a great big blur unless you have a nearby city address. It is funny to ask Google Maps for directions from here to there if you live in a sparsely-populated area!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
We live pretty much in the sticks. Our cabin is located in the saddle of a "finger" that runs off of Cross Mountain. We are at the absolute end of the electric power lines, surrounded mostly by timber company holdings.
The Oliver travel trailer is in a large car port that housed our former motorhome. Here is the space shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountainborn___Butcherknife__s_42.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	11095

EDIT: Typo
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #14

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
In the shot of our house, I can clearly make out the PlayPac we sold a few years ago. In the backyard we can also EASILY make out the worn tracks through the grass made by the dog's habitual pattern through the yard.

Oh - I can also see my motorcycle in the parking lot at work.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I have found that with some map sites if you rotate the image you get one from a different time...at least on my house you do. Just tried to do it with Google and they don't seem to have a rotate option....
The Google Maps web site doesn't appear to have a rotate function, but the Google Earth program lets you spin and tilt your viewing angle any way you want. That won't change the map data, just the way it's viewed. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean your can look at your trailer from the side... it's still just two-dimensional data except for buildings in some major cities and a few popular landmark locations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I see the same photo in Google Maps and Google Earth. It shows my old trailer, the Compact Jr. in it's storage space at work, and my Fiber Stream parked on the street where I first saw it, before I bought it. That would date the photo about May of 2005.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #17

Seems like I heard somewhere along the line that the Govt wouldn't let them have access or post current Sat pics for security reasons. Guess it would make sense if true, as it would make planning bad stuff doable from a couch anywhere you could get internet.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
We live in a regular tract neighborhood. It's pretty easy to spot the Casita on the driveway.
Attached Images

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
Chris, you have two great ideas showing in the photo. A fiberglass Rv in front, and in the back, a USFS approved fire suppression pond ! He, He.
EDIT: punctuation
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #20

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
The Google Maps web site doesn't appear to have a rotate function, but the Google Earth program lets you spin and tilt your viewing angle any way you want. That won't change the map data, just the way it's viewed. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean your can look at your trailer from the side... it's still just two-dimensional data except for buildings in some major cities and a few popular landmark locations.
I did some playing around with that function when I first downloaded it. Mt. St Helens looks REALLY cool! You can pull up a very nice 3D look into the crater.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote