Sim card for travel to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Sim card for travel to Canada

Hi all, We are traveling to Nova Scotia in July and was considering purchasing a sim card for use while in Canada. Does anyone have suggestions on which plan is best? We do have unlocked phones and may need to research places to stay while traveling. Thanks
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Maybe the use of a different or additional SIM card has changed, as I looked into doing this a few years back and it actually cost more than getting a plan through my dealer that gave me free use of phone, texting and data (within our subscribed limits) in both the US and in Canada. Works great for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Unfortunately neither of our carriers offer this service
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We have T-Mobile, so we get free texting and data outside the USA. You might check with them on getting a hotspot and a hotspot plan. We also have a hotspot with them that only costs $10 on top of our senior plan due to multi device discount, but our hotspot also comes in handy because we can place it where we get the best signal and log in with our phones (Our Scamp foil liner sometimes blocks weak signals where we sit but the hotspot placed in a window helps). It has unlimited data, although only 2 GB at high speed. Speed is slowed down when outside the USA but it gives us what we need for facebook, emails, and texting.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #5

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Nova Scotia in July

Hi,
Are you going to the rally? Hope to see you there.
I took my son to New Brunswick last year. I have a Verizon phone and hot spot and was told my plan covered service in Canada. Apparently Verizon does not own towers there but rents space on other provider's towers. My service was impossibly bad. I was told Verizon traffic was given low priority with the result that even in urban areas it acted like dial up. I blog my travels and would have to find public wifi to upload photos. Lots of busy signsls on the phone. So a little research might be in order. I do not tecommend Verizon.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:34 AM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
Hi all, We are traveling to Nova Scotia in July and was considering purchasing a sim card for use while in Canada. Does anyone have suggestions on which plan is best? We do have unlocked phones and may need to research places to stay while traveling. Thanks
:get a Pass Port and it will solve all your problems
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
Hi,
Are you going to the rally? Hope to see you there.
I took my son to New Brunswick last year. I have a Verizon phone and hot spot and was told my plan covered service in Canada. Apparently Verizon does not own towers there but rents space on other provider's towers. My service was impossibly bad. I was told Verizon traffic was given low priority with the result that even in urban areas it acted like dial up. I blog my travels and would have to find public wifi to upload photos. Lots of busy signsls on the phone. So a little research might be in order. I do not tecommend Verizon.
Jean
I have a Verizon unlimited plan and go to Canada often. I cannot say that it is any slower than when in the States. The Canadian cell companies do not prioritize as far as I know. Verizon, however, will slow your data speed down when 500 MB is exceeded in a 24 hour period, and it resets at midnight. The key is not to download/upload lots of photo or video content on your phone unless you are on a WiFi system (McDonald,s, Tim Horton’s, the campground where you are staying). However, most campground WiFi is notoriously slow no matter what country you may be in.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:get a Pass Port and it will solve all your problems
Stude
:the two best networks in Canada are Bell and Telus.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Tina
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
Koodo
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Koodo Mobile is a Canadian mobile flanker brand started by Telus in 2008 and mostly oriented toward younger customers. Koodo differs from its parent Telus by not requiring a fixed term contract. Koodo currently provides postpaid, prepaid, and wireless home phone services.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
I have mint mobile works fine for me in ottawa why we fly in to see the inlaws. Worked in Cambodia as well if you are heading east. https://www.mintmobile.com/international-roaming/
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

Name: Allen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Since my wife and I travel all over the world (including Mexico and Canada), I have found that it is best to stay with a major carrier, in our case AT&T. Free calls, text, and a reasonable amount of data while in Canada and Mexico. While overseas, cheap calling and text rates.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Howard Forums for Canada cell info

Log into https://www.howardforums.com there is a whole section on Canada cell providers.

Or when you cross the border, hit the next large store and get a prepaid phone.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
I wonder if one of the inexpensive, Pay as You Go, type phones would be of use to you if purchased in Canada?
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Eriba Puck
In regards to the hot spot. When I go to the beach I check out a hot spot from the library. Works great. Only problem is having to get on the wait list 7-8 weeks in advance and hope my name rises to the top before I leave.
Judith Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #16

Name: Tina
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
Having an unlocked phone is very easy to just get a canadian or other country sim card and a pay as you go with no contract. I did this recently when I went to Australia. So easy and pretty cheap. Then once you get back you put in your regular sim card.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
phone

if your carrier doesnt offer out of country plans, then I wuld buy pre paid minites from a canadian carrier. I have rogers which has great roaming deals and doesnt want a contract for most deals
robinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
check this out:

https://www.cellularphonesforseniors...r-seniors.html

It offers truly unlimited access that is not prioritized or throttled, ever. Or at least that is what it was when I got it. Data speeds are on a par with mid range DSL. Access in Canada and Mexico is about the same as in the US though in Mexico you can do better with a local carrier.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 AM   #19

Name: Barb
Colorado
For $20/mo, I get Awesome service from Google! Global coverage. $10 data + Free data!! K4N8PJ
Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/K4N8PJ
BarbsMidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #20

Name: Barb
Colorado
Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/K4N8PJ
BarbsMidge is offline   Reply With Quote