Single Mom Needs Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #15

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Joy My wife and I, like RSchleder have been camping for a good many years ( 40 or so ). We have camped in just about every kind of rv available except a motorhome. The stickies are nice and the additional room is a very enticing facet of the stickie. Having said that I am assuming that a key component of you camping desire is to build memories for you and your daughter. If that is correct you will find yourself just another trailer in a sea of stickies, large and small, if you go with the stickie. To the contrary you have already experienced just a small sample of the camaradarie amongst the "glass" group on this forum. The gatherings are really special and the close friends you and you daughter will make and share memories with, I can assure you, will far outweigh any you will have as just another trailer in a campground. Lee and Norma

Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Joy, I would recommend you read topics by JenPB. She's a mom that has a 1971 Compact Jr and has traveled extensively with her two daughters ages 6 and 9. Her postings are great reads.

Here's a very good start: 9,611-mile maiden voyage, 1 woman, two kids, a tiny trailer and lots o' miles

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #17

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I'm with Yvon.... 10 years from now, that sticky will hav little value while a FG egg you'll get most of your investment back (IF you ever want to sell) and it will be sold in no time too.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm back to looking at fiberglass. Lee and Norma's post did it for me. Still need to save some more but want to have something by summer. Really like the layout of the 16 ft Scamp with the bunk beds. Please let me know if you hear of anything in my area (Memphis, TN) in my budget (under $10,000).
THANKS for all the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joy
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Joy, I would recommend you read topics by JenPB. She's a mom that has a 1971 Compact Jr and has traveled extensively with her two daughters ages 6 and 9. Her postings are great reads.

Here's a very good start: 9,611-mile maiden voyage, 1 woman, two kids, a tiny trailer and lots o' miles
I checked out her posts and sent her a message. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #20

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:

Thanks, Donna, for the recommend and the kind words. I've shared my experiences here because I've found folks on this forum to be INCREDIBLY helpful, friendly and honest, and I'd like to return the favor (plus help other newbies, just as y'all helped me). I'd say my only regret on that big trip was, being new to the crowd, failing to stop in and meet Larry n' Carrie when I had the opportunity.

I've dropped notes back to a couple of FGRVers who've recently written to me for further info as a result of recommendations from this group.
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #21

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Joy, I just bought my first glass 2 weeks ago and I can't wait for camping season. I looked at the other small trailers with bathrooms and they were great but I was just one of many. This little TM14 Surf-side that I found is exactly what I was looking for without realizing it. Mine has the bunk beds at the front (perfect for your daughter's friend?) I looked at quite a few glass trailers but this one just felt right. They are out there, you just have to look into backyard and behind building sometimes. Good luck with your hunt. Marina
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #22

RV Type:none

Well, I am really encouraged. I looked at some of the old postings on the for sale forum and there was a 17 ft 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe listed for $9500 and some other Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000 or newer models right around that. I like the Spirit Deluxe made with bunk beds. It has everything I want. I like the 16 ft Scamp with bunk beds but it doesn't have a shower like the Casita Spirit Deluxe. I e-mailed Casita to see if they could refer me to a local owner so that I could see one in person.
I work in the school system and have to go back to work on Monday and won't be able to play on the computer much. Please let me know if y'all see something for sale that would work for me. Really want a 2000 or newer model with bunks with bathroom if possible. Not sure what else has all that besides the Casita Spirit Deluxe with the optional bunk package. Can anybody tell me what other models have all that? I know I'm being very specific and maybe too picky but I can try to get exactly what I want, right? Can make road trip to pick up where ever I have to.
Another question - now that I know what I want and have most of my money saved to buy - shouldn't I go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller installed on my Xterra? I was told earlier to wait until I bought b/c I could get a friend with a towing package take me to pick up. Why wait though now that I know what I want to buy? There's a local place that I can get everything done and they have a very good reputation and have been highly recommended and are reasonable.

joy
Old 01-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Another question - now that I know what I want and have most of my money saved to buy - [b]shouldn't I go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller installed on my Xterra?
I think that would be a good idea.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
My area news paper has an add for a trailermanor We are a 5 hour drive from Memphis. it must be near zip code 71730. Just passing it along to you. Take care

2004 Trail Manor Camper
E-mail: bethearegina[at]yahoo.com
Phone: (870)798-4831 please call after 5 p.m.
Description: $10400
Comfort of a full size with the convience of a pop-up.
Excellent Condition
A/C, heat, gas/electric water heater, range, microwave, and awning
Very lightweight can be easily pulled by pickup.

Name:   trailmanor.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
My area news paper has an add for a trailermanor We are a 5 hour drive from Memphis. it must be near zip code 71730. Just passing it along to you. Take care

2004 Trail Manor Camper
Those are really heavy if I remember correctly. It is nice that they will fit in the garage though.

Joy, hang in there the perfect Egg will come along. I so know the agony of the search but believe me when I say, the hunt will pay off in the long run. I understand your looking to get one bought as soon as possible, but have to say that spring will bring more 4sales. But it doesn't hurt to continue to search, just don't panic, yet! Robin
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Those are really heavy if I remember correctly. It is nice that they will fit in the garage though.

Joy, hang in there the perfect Egg will come along. I so know the agony of the search but believe me when I say, the hunt will pay off in the long run.
So, Robin, do you agree - go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller on my Xterra?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
I think that would be a good idea.
OK, thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
You know Joy, I have always owned vehicles that had hitches, so for me if I was close to buying I would go ahead and have it done. But that's me, I like to plan ahead. Another reason I would is cause the closer you get to spring the busier the hitch place will be and if I found my perfect egg, I would want to pick it up asap. But really Joy, you need to figure out what works best for you. Again, hang in there you will find the perfect trailer. Robin