Single Mom Needs Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Hi Joy, I just bought my first glass 2 weeks ago and I can't wait for camping season. I looked at the other small trailers with bathrooms and they were great but I was just one of many. This little TM14 Surf-side that I found is exactly what I was looking for without realizing it. Mine has the bunk beds at the front (perfect for your daughter's friend?) I looked at quite a few glass trailers but this one just felt right. They are out there, you just have to look into backyard and behind building sometimes. Good luck with your hunt. Marina
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
RV Type:none

Well, I am really encouraged. I looked at some of the old postings on the for sale forum and there was a 17 ft 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe listed for $9500 and some other Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000 or newer models right around that. I like the Spirit Deluxe made with bunk beds. It has everything I want. I like the 16 ft Scamp with bunk beds but it doesn't have a shower like the Casita Spirit Deluxe. I e-mailed Casita to see if they could refer me to a local owner so that I could see one in person.
I work in the school system and have to go back to work on Monday and won't be able to play on the computer much. Please let me know if y'all see something for sale that would work for me. Really want a 2000 or newer model with bunks with bathroom if possible. Not sure what else has all that besides the Casita Spirit Deluxe with the optional bunk package. Can anybody tell me what other models have all that? I know I'm being very specific and maybe too picky but I can try to get exactly what I want, right? Can make road trip to pick up where ever I have to.
Another question - now that I know what I want and have most of my money saved to buy - shouldn't I go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller installed on my Xterra? I was told earlier to wait until I bought b/c I could get a friend with a towing package take me to pick up. Why wait though now that I know what I want to buy? There's a local place that I can get everything done and they have a very good reputation and have been highly recommended and are reasonable.

joy
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Another question - now that I know what I want and have most of my money saved to buy - [b]shouldn't I go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller installed on my Xterra?
I think that would be a good idea.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My area news paper has an add for a trailermanor We are a 5 hour drive from Memphis. it must be near zip code 71730. Just passing it along to you. Take care

2004 Trail Manor Camper
E-mail: bethearegina[at]yahoo.com
Phone: (870)798-4831 please call after 5 p.m.
Description: $10400
Comfort of a full size with the convience of a pop-up.
Excellent Condition
A/C, heat, gas/electric water heater, range, microwave, and awning
Very lightweight can be easily pulled by pickup.

Name:   trailmanor.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  26.7 KB
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
My area news paper has an add for a trailermanor We are a 5 hour drive from Memphis. it must be near zip code 71730. Just passing it along to you. Take care

2004 Trail Manor Camper
Those are really heavy if I remember correctly. It is nice that they will fit in the garage though.

Joy, hang in there the perfect Egg will come along. I so know the agony of the search but believe me when I say, the hunt will pay off in the long run. I understand your looking to get one bought as soon as possible, but have to say that spring will bring more 4sales. But it doesn't hurt to continue to search, just don't panic, yet! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Those are really heavy if I remember correctly. It is nice that they will fit in the garage though.

Joy, hang in there the perfect Egg will come along. I so know the agony of the search but believe me when I say, the hunt will pay off in the long run.
So, Robin, do you agree - go on and get the trailer hitch and brake controller on my Xterra?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
I think that would be a good idea.
OK, thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
You know Joy, I have always owned vehicles that had hitches, so for me if I was close to buying I would go ahead and have it done. But that's me, I like to plan ahead. Another reason I would is cause the closer you get to spring the busier the hitch place will be and if I found my perfect egg, I would want to pick it up asap. But really Joy, you need to figure out what works best for you. Again, hang in there you will find the perfect trailer. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Really want a 2000 or newer model with bunks with bathroom if possible. Not sure what else has all that besides the Casita Spirit Deluxe with the optional bunk package.
Joy, my 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a side bathroom and front bunks. My suggestion is to not be too picky about the year of the trailer as much as the features you can't live without and the quality of the maintenance of the trailer. I've seen my share of trashed fairly new trailers to know it's not the model year that counts.

Good luck in the hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #30

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am just curious,why would you wait to get the hitch setup?

If a trailer comes around that you want and you are not ready to spring on it for any reason,someone else will be.

Just my experience.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Joy, my 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a side bathroom and front bunks. My suggestion is to not be too picky about the year of the trailer as much as the features you can't live without and the quality of the maintenance of the trailer. I've seen my share of trashed fairly new trailers to know it's not the model year that counts.

Good luck in the hunt!
Joy, as usual, Donna is spot on with her response. The front bunks / side bath layout is fairly common in 16' Scamps. It's what we have in our 02 but ours is a 'standard' and doesn't have all the nice cabinetry found in the deluxe models. The condition vs age is also good advice. You may want to check out the Scamp website (and that of any other make you're considering) to review the various floor plans and familiarize yourself with the available options.

When we were searching for our camper, I made up a checklist with seller contact info, make, model, floor plan, year, price, and each available option. This info was invaluable in determining what to ask a seller and to get a feel for market value.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #32

Okay, all that is very helpful - look more at the options I want and don't worry so much about the year, familarize myself with floor plans/options on different trailers.

I while back it was suggested that I wait on getting the towing package until I knew what I was getting - don't remember why - maybe b/c I don't need to get brake controller for all models??
I there anything I need to know before I go to the trailer hitch place?

I have not been this excited about something since my grandparents gave me a horse one year for Christmas! Already trying to decide where to go this summer!

joy
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Donna and a few others beat me to the punch. I was going to say that FG trailers are one aspect of life where age really doesn't matter... much. It's already been said that these eggs age well, better than trailers assembled from flat panels, corner braces and what-all. The miracle of a trailer like my Scamp is that the body has only two pieces, three if you count the door. My whole trailer has no more than approx. two dozen moving parts, and most of those are cabinet hinges that don't move... much. Other moving parts like brakes and wheel bearings are critical, but they're also simple to diagnose and repair.

Finally, old Scamps and Casitas look and live a lot like new ones. They're very established products, made by some very conservative companies. I don't think they spend a lot of R&D, and that's probably wise.

I used to live in Memphis myself, which was always a good place to get away from in the summertime. I imagine you're seeking one with air conditioning. If you don't find it preinstalled, there are numerous approaches to adding one. When I take hot trips, I temporarily install a cheap window unit in my range cabinet, behind a set of louvers that used to ventilate a refrigerator (now removed). A big roof fan will also do a lot to cool you down, but maybe not enough for your area.

Good luck and keep looking. The right trailer will turn up somewhere in the MidSouth region, if you're checking here every day, also on casitaclub.com,
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote