Single Mom Needs Advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Really want a 2000 or newer model with bunks with bathroom if possible. Not sure what else has all that besides the Casita Spirit Deluxe with the optional bunk package.
Joy, my 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a side bathroom and front bunks. My suggestion is to not be too picky about the year of the trailer as much as the features you can't live without and the quality of the maintenance of the trailer. I've seen my share of trashed fairly new trailers to know it's not the model year that counts.

Good luck in the hunt!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #30

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I am just curious,why would you wait to get the hitch setup?

If a trailer comes around that you want and you are not ready to spring on it for any reason,someone else will be.

Just my experience.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #31

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Joy, my 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe has a side bathroom and front bunks. My suggestion is to not be too picky about the year of the trailer as much as the features you can't live without and the quality of the maintenance of the trailer. I've seen my share of trashed fairly new trailers to know it's not the model year that counts.

Good luck in the hunt!
Joy, as usual, Donna is spot on with her response. The front bunks / side bath layout is fairly common in 16' Scamps. It's what we have in our 02 but ours is a 'standard' and doesn't have all the nice cabinetry found in the deluxe models. The condition vs age is also good advice. You may want to check out the Scamp website (and that of any other make you're considering) to review the various floor plans and familiarize yourself with the available options.

When we were searching for our camper, I made up a checklist with seller contact info, make, model, floor plan, year, price, and each available option. This info was invaluable in determining what to ask a seller and to get a feel for market value.

Al
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Okay, all that is very helpful - look more at the options I want and don't worry so much about the year, familarize myself with floor plans/options on different trailers.

I while back it was suggested that I wait on getting the towing package until I knew what I was getting - don't remember why - maybe b/c I don't need to get brake controller for all models??
I there anything I need to know before I go to the trailer hitch place?

I have not been this excited about something since my grandparents gave me a horse one year for Christmas! Already trying to decide where to go this summer!

joy
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Donna and a few others beat me to the punch. I was going to say that FG trailers are one aspect of life where age really doesn't matter... much. It's already been said that these eggs age well, better than trailers assembled from flat panels, corner braces and what-all. The miracle of a trailer like my Scamp is that the body has only two pieces, three if you count the door. My whole trailer has no more than approx. two dozen moving parts, and most of those are cabinet hinges that don't move... much. Other moving parts like brakes and wheel bearings are critical, but they're also simple to diagnose and repair.

Finally, old Scamps and Casitas look and live a lot like new ones. They're very established products, made by some very conservative companies. I don't think they spend a lot of R&D, and that's probably wise.

I used to live in Memphis myself, which was always a good place to get away from in the summertime. I imagine you're seeking one with air conditioning. If you don't find it preinstalled, there are numerous approaches to adding one. When I take hot trips, I temporarily install a cheap window unit in my range cabinet, behind a set of louvers that used to ventilate a refrigerator (now removed). A big roof fan will also do a lot to cool you down, but maybe not enough for your area.

Good luck and keep looking. The right trailer will turn up somewhere in the MidSouth region, if you're checking here every day, also on casitaclub.com,