Single Mom Needs Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi,
I asked for some advice a while back and everybody was so helpful so here I am again. I am looking for a 13 - 16 ft travel trailer for myself and my 9 year old daughter. Will be pulling with my Nissan Xterra. Really want A/C, kitchen, full bed, bunk beds, and potty. My price range is under $10,000. I am in Memphis, TN and it is hard to find anything to look at around here. I traveled to Manchester, TN to a dealership called Scenic Roads RV which specializes in small travel trailers. They had a travel trailer by KZ called the Sportsmen Classic. I know it is not a fiberglass trailer but is anybody familiar with it? The 16 foot had A/C, a regular bed, bunks, a bathroom with a shower, and a kitchen for $8434 new. I thought that was an incredible price. So .... like I said, I know it's not fiberglass but y'all are so helpful... does this sound good for me and can I get a fiberglass rv with all those features for that price? I know I can get a new 13 ft Scamp starting at $8295. Any thoughts?
Thanks already for your advice.

joy
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Seems like a good price, for a roomy smallish travel trailer. Does it look something like this one in this link:
http://www.mm-rvcenter.com/dlrindexsend_pg...445251-2010.htm

This one is 17' it seems.

It has the alumnium sides which can last a long time, but like almost anything can come apart or do some other not happy things. But we used a Komfort lite for almost 8 or 9 years before we had any problem with the sides, then use it a little longer.

Could be what you are needing and wanting, can you tow it with what you have?

Link to other small trailers: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti.../1.cfm#23262145
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: R-Vision
R-Pod makes a nice small trailer, a bit over your limit though.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #4

Adrian,
That's the one I looked at. I'm not crazy about the floor plan but it sure has everything I need.
So do y'all think there is anything else with all those features for that price?
Thanks, thanks, thanks for the advice.

joy
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Hello

If you buy a Scamp or other fiberglass rv , 10 years later you can sell your rv near the same price if you take care
With fiberglass rv you have a minimum risk of leak
And with the aerodynamic form it is easy to tow it

It is not my fault , il like fiberglass

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I find that the fiberglass rv holds up better when traveling over rough roads, which is where we travel. We like to explore off the hiway attractions.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #7

So the fiberglass rv's hold their value better and hold up longer?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: joy mccalla... We bought a '77 Boler for more than it sold for new and after using it for 2 yrs and refurbishing it through out sold it for twice what we paid...and it has been sold again. Can't do that with a stickie trailer!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
1977Boler_Voyageur.jpg   rockshieldartbyAlf.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I dont know enough to comment on stick built trailer resale value. But Have been impressed watching the the resale value of fiberglass over the years. The reputation for durability is a big selling point I think. If you bought a 16 foot scamp. They regularly sell for 8 to 10 grand here fast and I do mean fast.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Joy, I have been in the model your looking at, and though it was a nice trailer I felt it was a little cheesey, Flimsy, and in my opinion not as sturdy as most Glass I have been in. That is not to say it won't be a great fit for you, I question the weight of it though and am pretty sure that "their" dry weight is before all appliance's as well as air etc. I understand your dilemma about not finding glass in your area as often as other areas have them come up for sale and wish you could actually see the perfect glass model so that you could form an opinion. Sorry I can't remember how old your child/kids are? There are several models that will accomodate kids, but agree a bathroom is a very nice feature! Other than that, I can only say from experience stickie's don't hold their value like glass. I have owned several, and though I have only owned 2 Casitas, one for only a few short weeks but I am a regular on the referral forum and many times I see older glass trailers going for as much or more than the originally sold for off the showroom floor. So yes, glass does hold it's value stronger and longer. Best of Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

If anybody sees anything for sale that would be good for me, please give me a heads up.
THANKS!

joy
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
FYI, most glass options will not be as open as the stickie your looking at. Most glass feels more cocoon-ish so if your hooked on the open feel of the Sportsmen Classic you may not like the feel of most glass options.

Granted you won't find a "new" Glass trailer for the same price as the Sportsman Classic but one thing I often tell people is, you sure don't find 40 year old Stickies still on the road as much as you find 40 year old glass.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We've been camping since 1974 and I've had many RV's. Believe me, you can't beat a fiberglass Rv for long term durability and functionality. Also, it is an investment as it will appreciate as the years go by. I'm sure if you take your time, you can find a nice 16/17 foot used fiberglass trailer with everything you want for below $10k
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Joy, I'm assuming you are looking at the for sale section on these forums to see if something you might be interested in, when you see one that interests you, you don't have much time to sleep on it cuz when you wake up in the morning it will be gone.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Joy My wife and I, like RSchleder have been camping for a good many years ( 40 or so ). We have camped in just about every kind of rv available except a motorhome. The stickies are nice and the additional room is a very enticing facet of the stickie. Having said that I am assuming that a key component of you camping desire is to build memories for you and your daughter. If that is correct you will find yourself just another trailer in a sea of stickies, large and small, if you go with the stickie. To the contrary you have already experienced just a small sample of the camaradarie amongst the "glass" group on this forum. The gatherings are really special and the close friends you and you daughter will make and share memories with, I can assure you, will far outweigh any you will have as just another trailer in a campground. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joy, I would recommend you read topics by JenPB. She's a mom that has a 1971 Compact Jr and has traveled extensively with her two daughters ages 6 and 9. Her postings are great reads.

Here's a very good start: 9,611-mile maiden voyage, 1 woman, two kids, a tiny trailer and lots o' miles
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I'm with Yvon.... 10 years from now, that sticky will hav little value while a FG egg you'll get most of your investment back (IF you ever want to sell) and it will be sold in no time too.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #18

I'm back to looking at fiberglass. Lee and Norma's post did it for me. Still need to save some more but want to have something by summer. Really like the layout of the 16 ft Scamp with the bunk beds. Please let me know if you hear of anything in my area (Memphis, TN) in my budget (under $10,000).
THANKS for all the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joy
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Joy, I would recommend you read topics by JenPB. She's a mom that has a 1971 Compact Jr and has traveled extensively with her two daughters ages 6 and 9. Her postings are great reads.

Here's a very good start: 9,611-mile maiden voyage, 1 woman, two kids, a tiny trailer and lots o' miles
I checked out her posts and sent her a message. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:

Thanks, Donna, for the recommend and the kind words. I've shared my experiences here because I've found folks on this forum to be INCREDIBLY helpful, friendly and honest, and I'd like to return the favor (plus help other newbies, just as y'all helped me). I'd say my only regret on that big trip was, being new to the crowd, failing to stop in and meet Larry n' Carrie when I had the opportunity.

I've dropped notes back to a couple of FGRVers who've recently written to me for further info as a result of recommendations from this group.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote