Single propane tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #15
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Had those propane gauges from Costco. My buddy picked up a couple. We were using them on our BBQ tanks and concluded that they were interfering with the flow of propane, resulting in poor performance. We both tossed ours.
We tried one of those and found that it read full until it was empty enough to start getting a pressure drop. Useless!
We have since switched to a float gauge and found it satisfactory if not perfect. When ours reads empty it actually has a little less than a quarter tank. Guess that could be seen as inaccurate or just fair warning!

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
We just use fridge and stove, rarely use furnace. I budget roughly 1 lb per day of propane to run fridge etc, so I keep track in my head how much I have used. I have an adaptor to go from big tank connector to little 1LB bottles if I ever run out, but so far my guessing has been pretty close.

brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: Scamp
In Canada, propane recertification required at 10 years

We have a propane tank with built in gauge from Sam's club. We now know from experience that when the gauge is deep in the red "empty" area, we still have about a gallon of propane left.
While on the subject of propane, we got an unwelcome surprise in Canada when we tried to refill our empty 2nd propane tank. It seems Canada requires recertification every 10 years (12 years in USA), and they seem to actually check the date! They refused to refill the older tank. Fortunately we had enough propane to get us to Alaska in our newer tank, where it seems the USA propane distributors don't seem to bother checking the date.
We have since purchased another new tank.

Dave (AKA John) and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4.7 (primary TV)
08 Subaru Outback 2.5 (alternate TV)
Radar1 is online now   Reply With Quote