Siphon Gas for Generator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 AM   #21

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
My Honda is a from the 90's not inverter like now . In fact it has a metal case not plastic . So would that still apply for me ? Should I get some Seafoam and just use regular . Give me the recipe . Pat
That all depends on the original performance level of the unit and thus compression ratio. Always assume ethanol is bad for things and worse the older said thing is. You will be fine with todays e10-15 in that generator though, and the ethanol actually behaves a bit like octane as well reducing pinging.

If the generator has a lot of hours on it the compression is likely lower than it was when new. Also Honda is conservative with compression on their generator engines so that they favor long life over max power. Basically they are expected to run for thousands of hours without fail, compared to a motocross or other race bike engine that needs to make massive power and be as light as possible. Those need to be rebuilt constantly because they run high compression ratios, and therefore need "premium" or race fuel with high octane.

As for the sea foam you add in a half to a whole ounce per gallon usually. Even a tablespoon per gallon would greately increase the life of the fuel when sitting. At the ounce per gallon ratio you will be actively cleaning your fuel system and removing carbon from the engine.

I have had multipe situations where I was able to unclog a main or idle jet in a carb with sea foam alone and it has saved me from having to open the carb at all.
Good stuff.

Stabil works for long term storrage too, but in my experience sea foam works better for that while costing less and having many other benefits. It helps lubricate the engine too.

My other additive that I litterally will not run a four stroke engine or a gearbox (including differential) without is called tufoil.
I get it on amazon. Its the world's most efficient lubricant/ most slippery substance known to man. Guinness record since I think 96.

Never try and break in an engine with this stuff in it though, it won't happen. Haha
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
On my silverado and many other car, it have a schrader valve on the engine to take the fuel pump pressure, i have a smal hose with adaptor , i plug in and start engine , i can fill my honda 2000
https://www.schraderinternational.co...c_lang=en-US-E
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #23

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
That all depends on the original performance level of the unit and thus compression ratio. Always assume ethanol is bad for things and worse the older said thing is. You will be fine with todays e10-15 in that generator though, and the ethanol actually behaves a bit like octane as well reducing pinging.

If the generator has a lot of hours on it the compression is likely lower than it was when new. Also Honda is conservative with compression on their generator engines so that they favor long life over max power. Basically they are expected to run for thousands of hours without fail, compared to a motocross or other race bike engine that needs to make massive power and be as light as possible. Those need to be rebuilt constantly because they run high compression ratios, and therefore need "premium" or race fuel with high octane.

As for the sea foam you add in a half to a whole ounce per gallon usually. Even a tablespoon per gallon would greately increase the life of the fuel when sitting. At the ounce per gallon ratio you will be actively cleaning your fuel system and removing carbon from the engine.

I have had multipe situations where I was able to unclog a main or idle jet in a carb with sea foam alone and it has saved me from having to open the carb at all.
Good stuff.

Stabil works for long term storrage too, but in my experience sea foam works better for that while costing less and having many other benefits. It helps lubricate the engine too.

My other additive that I litterally will not run a four stroke engine or a gearbox (including differential) without is called tufoil.
I get it on amazon. Its the world's most efficient lubricant/ most slippery substance known to man. Guinness record since I think 96.

Never try and break in an engine with this stuff in it though, it won't happen. Haha
Thankyou for the advice . The gen has very little running time on it . Bought it years ago and never used it . I had put new fuel in it because I ran it dry before I stored it ,and changed the oil . Tried it out and she started right up . Now I have a use for gen . Probably 10-15 hours total useage on gen . I will get some Seafoam and some tufoil too. Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
An other thing about Honda 2000 , the perfect storage bac is '' Rubbermaid Actionpacker ''

The generation fit just in the bac , a post on airtream forum tell this and it's realy the best container

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #25

Name: Don
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Gasoline-Trans...ilpage_o05_s00

Works great!
Don W3NDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would and have used just a gas can, going after hookups on the TV fuel system just seems like way more expense and work. While I'm sure you can tap into the Schrader valve for checking fuel pressure it was not necessarily designed for repeated frequent use. The fuel is under high pressure, the engine may be hot.... I can see things going really wrong.

Some cars you can get a small diameter siphon line into. There are also small fuel containers made for camping fuel.

Me I would look for one or two fuel cans of a size that would stow well and provide you with safe, easy to fill solution. A re-fuel solution I might add that would work if you wanted to use generator with different vehicle or at someone's home for emergency power.

The reason bicycles don't have heated handgrips is because wearing gloves is much simpler solution.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #27

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon Chayer View Post
On my silverado and many other car, it have a schrader valve on the engine to take the fuel pump pressure, i have a smal hose with adaptor , i plug in and start engine , i can fill my honda 2000
https://www.schraderinternational.co...c_lang=en-US-E
Yep that valve on the fuel rail is what I was suggesting to use. It can be picky, but if you absolutely want to use the fuel in your vehicles tank then that's the most sure fire way as all fuel injected cars have that port.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #28

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
I use a very good quality plastic container made for gasoline and transport in in the shower on the floor with the window slightly opened but it never leaks.
Unless you run that genny ALOT, I would opt for a propane conversion for the Honda 2000. Easy to do and you already have propane available.
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #29

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Unless you run that genny ALOT, I would opt for a propane conversion for the Honda 2000. Easy to do and you already have propane available.
That might be my best bet. I already have 2 propane tanks.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator