Sites in Western PA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Sites in Western PA

My son and I are planning a trip to Fallingwater in Mill Run, PA.
Does anyone have favorite campsites near there?

I'm also looking for other sites of interest in that part of PA and/or WV.
We like spectacular nature sites like gorges, waterfalls, etc., and interesting museums.
As an example , last summer we camped at Watkins Glen, NY and visited both the Curtis Museum and the Corning Museum of Glass. Truly a great trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Walt
Old 06-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Seneca Rocks in northeastern West Virginia is interesting. We stayed at a NFS campgrounds just across the road. As I recall the sites with power had a grand view. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #3

SW Virginia
Thanks Raz. I've been there on caving trips and I agree.

Walt
Old 06-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While quite aways east, Ricketts Glen State Park is a great visit for those that like waterfalls. 22 waterfalls and hundreds of beautiful cascades along 7 miles of trails. Dry camping, but bathrooms with hot showers.

Some photos from a couple of my visits.

In between (about 4 hours from Falling Waters) is a nice COE campground - Ives Run.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

SW Virginia
Thanks for that tip Jon. Looks very nice. I'll bookmark it, if not next month then another trip.

Walt
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Wellsboro Pa, NC PA. The Grand Canyon of PA. Very nice area, there is more then a few CG`s around there, the town is very nice to walk around in, lot of shops and eating places. The worlds end area is there, nice campgrounds all around, Google, worlds end state park. Eagle Mere is in that area as well, lots of camps up there as well. Google list of state parks of Pa, you get a lot of info. Good luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I am staying at Ohiopyle State Park site 35 on 9/4 & 5. Was in that area 2 years ago but did not stay at the state park - went 15 miles away to Yough Lake Campground (waterfront but not a lot of trees) and going back this time to Ohiopyle State Park to camp. It is less than 5 miles from Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water and less than 5 miles from Kentuck Knob. Expect to linger around Falling Water for about 4 hours - it is way cool and beautiful with all the grounds, gardens, etc... Kentuck Knob is cool too but takes less time to cover. Ohiopyle is BEAUTIFUL!!! Bring your bike (or rent one) and ride the old rail trail for as long as you want next to the river to the next town down about 9-10 miles away and have lunch there. They are both excellent little towns with lots to see, small eateries, lots of waterfalls, scenery, etc....
Old 06-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Twin Grove

We stayed at a very nice campground near Pine Grove Pa. Called Twin Grove (I think). What might interest you is that it is about a mile from the Appalachian Trail. The campground is spotless and tons of stuff to do especially for the kiddos.
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We just stayed at Cook Forest St Pk about 15 miles north of I-80 as we traveled east. If you are into mt biking, big trees , hiking it is beautiful, fire tower too. But beware of VERY INSISTANT RACCOONS! They kept us up for 3 hours as we were tent camping, she smelled our bananas and wouldn't give up. We had to move our camp. But PA also charges you $4 registration fee, $2 of you are in a dog designated loop, and out of state fee! But if you are a senior they take off $4. Just get there before 4 PM as they close up their assisted registration kiosk where you might get that info. Otherwise you are on your own with self registration.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Senica Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Seneca Rocks in northeastern West Virginia is interesting. We stayed at a NFS campgrounds just across the road. As I recall the sites with power had a grand view. Raz
When we were there, the jet fighters used our mountain top campground as a locator to fly close to the ground! the hike up to the top of the rocks is really great.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Ohiopyle is very nice and very, very steep grades to get there,
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I will ask hubby. I do not remember the name of the campground, but it was on the banks of the Yohogania (It is interesting to canoe. We thought it would be boring but not!) and beautiful.

CindyL