Size matters? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike in NC,

I think your thoughts are a good. It's the primary activity of the RVing experience that's important, size is secondary.

Fun travels with your children

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
For us, size trumps all. We are actually now questioning whether or not our Bigfoot 21 footer is big enough for us. Cute just doesn't do it as a reason to select one make/model over another.

We have had, over the years, a Boler 13, a "sticky" 15, a Boler 17 and now the 21 foot egg. (And that 28 foot Bigfoot is looking VERY tempting!)

If we had started with the 21 we would not have bought & sold so many

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
My wife and I are now in our mid 60s and do require more 'amenities'! We have had a 13' Trillium across Canada and down and back to Florida several times and then a 13' Li'l Bigfoot the same. A lull in travelling caused us to buy a big Pop-up instead but all of them lacked a washroom. When a Bigfoot 17CB showed up at the side of the road near us we jumped at the chance and were actually able to trade our Pop-up for the BF, with the addition of some (lots) of cash.
We can tow with a minivan, we have a toilet, with hot water, sink and shower, a 4 burner stove with oven, a 'real' fridge with separate freezer that can even store frozen pizzas, and we can leave the rear bed set-up all the time. That plus an AC, and furnace that can warm us into very cold weather.
There you have it!
We don't get a lot of time to travel with it but when we can, we do, with all that additional comfort.
Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #18

British Columbia
I agree - comfort is the issue. If we didn't care about comfort, we wouldn't have an RV at all! On-board shower & toilet, central heat, a microwave, A/C and a big comfy bed are not "luxuries" for us (that's just us - your needs may be different!)- they are "basic to our needs".
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
We are completely happy with a 13 foot Boler. No furnace, no phone, no microwave, no oven, no radio, no TV. We have made it into a permanant bed with a two person dinette for two people. Most of our cooking is done outside as is most of our recreation. Since 1994, we have towed the trailer through much of Canada and through quite a few of the northern states. It's been rebuilt, repainted and refurbished. We do carry along a small pop-up room and a porti poti for times that we can't camp within reasonable distance to a wash room or the one there is too horrible to use.
That said, I would have a hard time turning down an offer of a 17 foot Bigfoot.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
That said, I would have a hard time turning down an offer of a 17 foot Bigfoot.

How about a Boler 1700? (Just happen to know of one for sale, sitting about 20 feet away as I write this....)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

Let me add another wrinkle:

If money were no object, and you could "spec" the FG trailer of your dreams," (but nevertheless we're still burdened by today's cost of fuel), what size and what features would you be drawn to?

Because of my little side project, The Egg Plant, I have folks coming to me asking for custom items not originally built into their trailers. I am most keen to learn what features are most popular with you good folks on this forum.

Evidently, (and I certainly agree) bigger beds are at or near the top of the list of requests... Showers, dinettes and solar power are also frequently mentioned.

What about better design? Or better quality construction? Or higher end fixtures and fabrics? Considering the vast amount of effort that goes into every detail of car design and production, would you like to see more attention paid to aesthetics of our trailers?

Or is "good enough" good enough?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #22

British Columbia
Ideal one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post

If money were no object, and you could "spec" the FG trailer of your dreams," (but nevertheless we're still burdened by today's cost of fuel), what size and what features would you be drawn to?

Because of my little side project, The Egg Plant, I have folks coming to me asking for custom items not originally built into their trailers. I am most keen to learn what features are most popular with you good folks on this forum.

Evidently, (and I certainly agree) bigger beds are at or near the top of the list of requests... Showers, dinettes and solar power are also frequently mentioned.

What about better design? Or better quality construction? Or higher end fixtures and fabrics? Considering the vast amount of effort that goes into every detail of car design and production, would you like to see more attention paid to aesthetics of our trailers?

I'd have Bigfoot build me a 25 foot rear bedroom unit , using the floor plan from the Bigfoot "Millenium 24". The 24 had sleeping for 6, and a nice suite of features, even though the dinette was a bit small - by putting THAT floor plan into a 25 footer, that would be resolved.. (the Millenium 24, however, was NOT a molded 'glass unit - more like a sticky)

I might even get that one stretched a bit (to a 26 or 27) for a bit more luxury inside. I'd have an inverter generator built in, a bunch of extra batteries and a minimum of 2 - 30# propane tanx. A combi gas/elect water heater is a must as well as elect and gas furnace.

Power awning, power corner jacks and power tongue jack are on the list

Satellite TV, plus DVD/PVR that all run on 12 V.

Tongue-mounted extra storage locker for carrying things like a BBQ.

Inside: Storage is a lower priority than accommodation for PEOPLE. A bed PLUS dinette PLUS a sofa and a relaxing chair or two.

Scrap the gas-powered oven - just put a decent size microwave in its place. NO Carpets - too hard to keep clean - just a "lino' type flooring

An inverter - about 2,000 watts or so - to work the microwave when I am "dry camping" at an event

A wine rack would be really nice.

Fuel/mileage is not as much of a concern as the issue of "why would I lug ANY trailer around unless it gives me better accom than a mid-priced motel"? For my needs, if pure economy is the issue, I have ALWAYS found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to lug a trailer around! However, the convenience of being able to stay right at the events I attend outweighs the extra costs associated with trailering
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I'd have Bigfoot build me a 25 foot rear bedroom unit , using the floor plan from the Bigfoot "Millenium 24". The 24 had sleeping for 6, and a nice suite of features, even though the dinette was a bit small - by putting THAT floor plan into a 25 footer, that would be resolved.. (the Millenium 24, however, was NOT a molded 'glass unit - more like a sticky)

I might even get that one stretched a bit (to a 26 or 27) for a bit more luxury inside. I'd have an inverter generator built in, a bunch of extra batteries and a minimum of 2 - 30# propane tanx. A combi gas/elect water heater is a must as well as elect and gas furnace.

Power awning, power corner jacks and power tongue jack are on the list

Satellite TV, plus DVD/PVR that all run on 12 V.

Tongue-mounted extra storage locker for carrying things like a BBQ.

Inside: Storage is a lower priority than accommodation for PEOPLE. A bed PLUS dinette PLUS a sofa and a relaxing chair or two.

Scrap the gas-powered oven - just put a decent size microwave in its place. NO Carpets - too hard to keep clean - just a "lino' type flooring

A wine rack would be really nice.

Fuel/mileage is not as much of a concern as the issue of "why would I lug ANY trailer around unless it gives me better accom than a mid-priced motel"? For my needs, if pure economy is the issue, I have ALWAYS found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to lug a trailer around! However, the convenience of being able to stay right at the events I attend outweighs the extra costs associated with trailering
I found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels too... So I swore off of Travel trailers for many years, until I found my Scamp 13. That is no longer even close to true. My TV/Trailer Combo now gets better mileage than most cars and we have averaged only $8 per night for lodging.
Only drawback is that I must drive a lot slower when towing, and it takes longer to get somewhere, but I'm really not in a hurry anymore.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
Our 13' Uhaul is easy to tow, easy to park in the driveway, and plenty of room for the two of us. I like to keep things simple, and also enjoy having something that is unique.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

Fortunately I have exactly what I want. Money really wasn't that much of a concern when I bought it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #26

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Some quick calculations tell me that towing my 13 foot Scamp for 350 miles will cost about $13 more than driving 350 miles without the Scamp in tow. As long as I'm not staying at an expensive RV resort, then it should be cheaper to travel with the Scamp. Of course, you have to figure in the cost of repairs and such, but it's not as big of a deal as it was with our class-a RV.

If I were still single, I could get away with Wal-Mart camping and other cost saving measures. If you really wanted to camp cheap, you certainly could.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Some quick calculations tell me that towing my 13 foot Scamp for 350 miles will cost about $13 more than driving 350 miles without the Scamp in tow. As long as I'm not staying at an expensive RV resort, then it should be cheaper to travel with the Scamp. Of course, you have to figure in the cost of repairs and such, but it's not as big of a deal as it was with our class-a RV.

If I were still single, I could get away with Wal-Mart camping and other cost saving measures. If you really wanted to camp cheap, you certainly could.

There are ways to camp cheap. Wal-Mart, Rest Areas, Truck Stops work great for a few hours sleep. If you're an old guy (62 or older) any Federal campground is 50% off and entrance fees for National Parks is free, all for an initial $10.00 investment.
We spent 97 days at the first of the year, average cost per night $7.50. That was just camping fees. One National Forest Campground in LA was $2.50/night.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I'd do a mash-up of what different trailers do right

Quote:
I think if I could get Escape's construction quality, insulation, and wall covering in my Fiber Stream's length, design, and equipment, with a Casita Liberty's 3 different bed configurations and fiberglass furniture, I'd be a happy camper.