Size matters? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

Let me add another wrinkle:

If money were no object, and you could "spec" the FG trailer of your dreams," (but nevertheless we're still burdened by today's cost of fuel), what size and what features would you be drawn to?

Because of my little side project, The Egg Plant, I have folks coming to me asking for custom items not originally built into their trailers. I am most keen to learn what features are most popular with you good folks on this forum.

Evidently, (and I certainly agree) bigger beds are at or near the top of the list of requests... Showers, dinettes and solar power are also frequently mentioned.

What about better design? Or better quality construction? Or higher end fixtures and fabrics? Considering the vast amount of effort that goes into every detail of car design and production, would you like to see more attention paid to aesthetics of our trailers?

Or is "good enough" good enough?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Ideal one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post

If money were no object, and you could "spec" the FG trailer of your dreams," (but nevertheless we're still burdened by today's cost of fuel), what size and what features would you be drawn to?

Because of my little side project, The Egg Plant, I have folks coming to me asking for custom items not originally built into their trailers. I am most keen to learn what features are most popular with you good folks on this forum.

Evidently, (and I certainly agree) bigger beds are at or near the top of the list of requests... Showers, dinettes and solar power are also frequently mentioned.

What about better design? Or better quality construction? Or higher end fixtures and fabrics? Considering the vast amount of effort that goes into every detail of car design and production, would you like to see more attention paid to aesthetics of our trailers?

I'd have Bigfoot build me a 25 foot rear bedroom unit , using the floor plan from the Bigfoot "Millenium 24". The 24 had sleeping for 6, and a nice suite of features, even though the dinette was a bit small - by putting THAT floor plan into a 25 footer, that would be resolved.. (the Millenium 24, however, was NOT a molded 'glass unit - more like a sticky)

I might even get that one stretched a bit (to a 26 or 27) for a bit more luxury inside. I'd have an inverter generator built in, a bunch of extra batteries and a minimum of 2 - 30# propane tanx. A combi gas/elect water heater is a must as well as elect and gas furnace.

Power awning, power corner jacks and power tongue jack are on the list

Satellite TV, plus DVD/PVR that all run on 12 V.

Tongue-mounted extra storage locker for carrying things like a BBQ.

Inside: Storage is a lower priority than accommodation for PEOPLE. A bed PLUS dinette PLUS a sofa and a relaxing chair or two.

Scrap the gas-powered oven - just put a decent size microwave in its place. NO Carpets - too hard to keep clean - just a "lino' type flooring

An inverter - about 2,000 watts or so - to work the microwave when I am "dry camping" at an event

A wine rack would be really nice.

Fuel/mileage is not as much of a concern as the issue of "why would I lug ANY trailer around unless it gives me better accom than a mid-priced motel"? For my needs, if pure economy is the issue, I have ALWAYS found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to lug a trailer around! However, the convenience of being able to stay right at the events I attend outweighs the extra costs associated with trailering
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I'd have Bigfoot build me a 25 foot rear bedroom unit , using the floor plan from the Bigfoot "Millenium 24". The 24 had sleeping for 6, and a nice suite of features, even though the dinette was a bit small - by putting THAT floor plan into a 25 footer, that would be resolved.. (the Millenium 24, however, was NOT a molded 'glass unit - more like a sticky)

I might even get that one stretched a bit (to a 26 or 27) for a bit more luxury inside. I'd have an inverter generator built in, a bunch of extra batteries and a minimum of 2 - 30# propane tanx. A combi gas/elect water heater is a must as well as elect and gas furnace.

Power awning, power corner jacks and power tongue jack are on the list

Satellite TV, plus DVD/PVR that all run on 12 V.

Tongue-mounted extra storage locker for carrying things like a BBQ.

Inside: Storage is a lower priority than accommodation for PEOPLE. A bed PLUS dinette PLUS a sofa and a relaxing chair or two.

Scrap the gas-powered oven - just put a decent size microwave in its place. NO Carpets - too hard to keep clean - just a "lino' type flooring

A wine rack would be really nice.

Fuel/mileage is not as much of a concern as the issue of "why would I lug ANY trailer around unless it gives me better accom than a mid-priced motel"? For my needs, if pure economy is the issue, I have ALWAYS found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to lug a trailer around! However, the convenience of being able to stay right at the events I attend outweighs the extra costs associated with trailering
I found it cheaper to take the car and stay in motels too... So I swore off of Travel trailers for many years, until I found my Scamp 13. That is no longer even close to true. My TV/Trailer Combo now gets better mileage than most cars and we have averaged only $8 per night for lodging.
Only drawback is that I must drive a lot slower when towing, and it takes longer to get somewhere, but I'm really not in a hurry anymore.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
Our 13' Uhaul is easy to tow, easy to park in the driveway, and plenty of room for the two of us. I like to keep things simple, and also enjoy having something that is unique.
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Fortunately I have exactly what I want. Money really wasn't that much of a concern when I bought it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #26

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Some quick calculations tell me that towing my 13 foot Scamp for 350 miles will cost about $13 more than driving 350 miles without the Scamp in tow. As long as I'm not staying at an expensive RV resort, then it should be cheaper to travel with the Scamp. Of course, you have to figure in the cost of repairs and such, but it's not as big of a deal as it was with our class-a RV.

If I were still single, I could get away with Wal-Mart camping and other cost saving measures. If you really wanted to camp cheap, you certainly could.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Some quick calculations tell me that towing my 13 foot Scamp for 350 miles will cost about $13 more than driving 350 miles without the Scamp in tow. As long as I'm not staying at an expensive RV resort, then it should be cheaper to travel with the Scamp. Of course, you have to figure in the cost of repairs and such, but it's not as big of a deal as it was with our class-a RV.

If I were still single, I could get away with Wal-Mart camping and other cost saving measures. If you really wanted to camp cheap, you certainly could.

There are ways to camp cheap. Wal-Mart, Rest Areas, Truck Stops work great for a few hours sleep. If you're an old guy (62 or older) any Federal campground is 50% off and entrance fees for National Parks is free, all for an initial $10.00 investment.
We spent 97 days at the first of the year, average cost per night $7.50. That was just camping fees. One National Forest Campground in LA was $2.50/night.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I'd do a mash-up of what different trailers do right

Quote:
I think if I could get Escape's construction quality, insulation, and wall covering in my Fiber Stream's length, design, and equipment, with a Casita Liberty's 3 different bed configurations and fiberglass furniture, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #29

Maryland
I should mention that a 13 footer can max out the tow rating on certain vehicles. Especially since the majority of 16-17 footers are WAY nose heavy! There is only one explanation for having more than 10% tongue weight: poor planning/design.

Europeans have proven that it can be perfectly safe to pull a trailer with as little as 4% tongue weight, as long as speeds are kept reasonable.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive. I'd rather sleep on my little bunk in a Walmart parking lot, than an expensive motel with God knows what crawling around in there. I've spent around 250 nights in my trailer by now, and only stayed in an RV park for 2 of those. All the rest have been wherever I could find a spot.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive. I'd rather sleep on my little bunk in a Walmart parking lot, than an expensive motel with God knows what crawling around in there. I've spent around 250 nights in my trailer by now, and only stayed in an RV park for 2 of those. All the rest have been wherever I could find a spot.
David
I admire that record of your Scamp use. What with 25+ ScampCamps and Fiberglass rallies, I can't come close to matching it. You do have Oregon and Washington to wander, giving you some beautiful spots to find (and dry thanks to your little "bunkhouse") We usually boonedock only when in transit
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
During my month-long trek this summer, I found that the campgrounds were around $25-30 per night, (one was $75.00!) and my truck/trailer combo ran about $100-$125 per day (a couple of days were over $175.00!) for gas while the car would have used about $50 per day for the same distance, so I could go "up to $75.00 per night" for a motel and break even on costs, travel faster and in greater comfort with the car, as well as easier parking at attractions, and less hassles overall. (Car costs based on a 1,500 mile trip I had taken with the car two weeks before starting out on the month-long trip in truck.)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #33

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
During my month-long trek this summer, I found that the campgrounds were around $25-30 per night, (one was $75.00!) and my truck/trailer combo ran about $100-$125 per day (a couple of days were over $175.00!) for gas while the car would have used about $50 per day for the same distance, so I could go "up to $75.00 per night" for a motel and break even on costs, travel faster and in greater comfort with the car, as well as easier parking at attractions, and less hassles overall. (Car costs based on a 1,500 mile trip I had taken with the car two weeks before starting out on the month-long trip in truck.)
Sounds like what you need is a camper that you can tow with the CAR! I didn't particularly want to travel in a truck, and that's one of the reasons I chose a 13 footer. I could toe a 16 footer if it was balanced properly. Tongue weight is the main concern.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #34

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I admire that record of your Scamp use. What with 25+ ScampCamps and Fiberglass rallies, I can't come close to matching it. You do have Oregon and Washington to wander, giving you some beautiful spots to find (and dry thanks to your little "bunkhouse") We usually boonedock only when in transit
Floyd,
My work takes me to the boondocks. The rest of the time I'm "homeless", which also takes me to the boondocks . In the last year I have spent time in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Northern California. I spent the summer on a 22 sq mile ranch in Wyoming at 6,300 feet elevation, no running water or communication, No habitable structures, and a road impassable after a rain or snow. That is how I've racked up the nights out . I have an "unfair" advantage . I have seen some incredible sights, but some nights it boils down to just finding a place where you won't hear the night stick tapping the door at 2am. They really like to get their room tax. This winter I have a cabin with a woodstove overlooking the Oregon coast, so life is easier, but come spring I'll be off again .
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #35

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Towability by my Honda Element (max 1500 lbs. towing capacity) was the critical factor in picking a Scamp 13'. Air conditioning would be preferred, and built-in window louvers so that the rain doesn't come in when they are open. Also, tinted windows to reflect the heat would be a smart addition.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #36

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Size was important to me as well as weight. i also wanted a trailer with at least a queen size bed. I have a Trailswest campster that I am getting to my liking. The advantage is the lower profile and the large platform area for the bed. I also had to consider the overall width of the trailer to get it through the gate to the back if the house.
The FG trailer was the fallback as I originally wanted to get a teardrop trailer but after renting one for a week trip decided I needed a little more space when the weather was bad. Otherwise we spend most of our time outside.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #37

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive.
David

I so agree, I have traveled for work and spent many a night in some of the finer hotels around the country. Even a few questionable motels in off the beaten path towns. No matter how clean they look, I still know they are not as clean as I would like.

I always wanted to own a B and B, but since the bed bug thing I have quickly changed my mind.

As far as Wallie World and Rest stop's, I honestly don't consider them "camping ". Do they have their place, YES. But that is for another discussion!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote