Size matters? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
I should mention that a 13 footer can max out the tow rating on certain vehicles. Especially since the majority of 16-17 footers are WAY nose heavy! There is only one explanation for having more than 10% tongue weight: poor planning/design.

Europeans have proven that it can be perfectly safe to pull a trailer with as little as 4% tongue weight, as long as speeds are kept reasonable.
__________________

__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive. I'd rather sleep on my little bunk in a Walmart parking lot, than an expensive motel with God knows what crawling around in there. I've spent around 250 nights in my trailer by now, and only stayed in an RV park for 2 of those. All the rest have been wherever I could find a spot.
David
__________________

__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive. I'd rather sleep on my little bunk in a Walmart parking lot, than an expensive motel with God knows what crawling around in there. I've spent around 250 nights in my trailer by now, and only stayed in an RV park for 2 of those. All the rest have been wherever I could find a spot.
David
I admire that record of your Scamp use. What with 25+ ScampCamps and Fiberglass rallies, I can't come close to matching it. You do have Oregon and Washington to wander, giving you some beautiful spots to find (and dry thanks to your little "bunkhouse") We usually boonedock only when in transit
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
During my month-long trek this summer, I found that the campgrounds were around $25-30 per night, (one was $75.00!) and my truck/trailer combo ran about $100-$125 per day (a couple of days were over $175.00!) for gas while the car would have used about $50 per day for the same distance, so I could go "up to $75.00 per night" for a motel and break even on costs, travel faster and in greater comfort with the car, as well as easier parking at attractions, and less hassles overall. (Car costs based on a 1,500 mile trip I had taken with the car two weeks before starting out on the month-long trip in truck.)
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
During my month-long trek this summer, I found that the campgrounds were around $25-30 per night, (one was $75.00!) and my truck/trailer combo ran about $100-$125 per day (a couple of days were over $175.00!) for gas while the car would have used about $50 per day for the same distance, so I could go "up to $75.00 per night" for a motel and break even on costs, travel faster and in greater comfort with the car, as well as easier parking at attractions, and less hassles overall. (Car costs based on a 1,500 mile trip I had taken with the car two weeks before starting out on the month-long trip in truck.)
Sounds like what you need is a camper that you can tow with the CAR! I didn't particularly want to travel in a truck, and that's one of the reasons I chose a 13 footer. I could toe a 16 footer if it was balanced properly. Tongue weight is the main concern.
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I admire that record of your Scamp use. What with 25+ ScampCamps and Fiberglass rallies, I can't come close to matching it. You do have Oregon and Washington to wander, giving you some beautiful spots to find (and dry thanks to your little "bunkhouse") We usually boonedock only when in transit
Floyd,
My work takes me to the boondocks. The rest of the time I'm "homeless", which also takes me to the boondocks . In the last year I have spent time in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Northern California. I spent the summer on a 22 sq mile ranch in Wyoming at 6,300 feet elevation, no running water or communication, No habitable structures, and a road impassable after a rain or snow. That is how I've racked up the nights out . I have an "unfair" advantage . I have seen some incredible sights, but some nights it boils down to just finding a place where you won't hear the night stick tapping the door at 2am. They really like to get their room tax. This winter I have a cabin with a woodstove overlooking the Oregon coast, so life is easier, but come spring I'll be off again .
David
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Posts: 231
Towability by my Honda Element (max 1500 lbs. towing capacity) was the critical factor in picking a Scamp 13'. Air conditioning would be preferred, and built-in window louvers so that the rain doesn't come in when they are open. Also, tinted windows to reflect the heat would be a smart addition.
__________________
Doghaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
teri85's Avatar
 
Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 124
Registry
Size was important to me as well as weight. i also wanted a trailer with at least a queen size bed. I have a Trailswest campster that I am getting to my liking. The advantage is the lower profile and the large platform area for the bed. I also had to consider the overall width of the trailer to get it through the gate to the back if the house.
The FG trailer was the fallback as I originally wanted to get a teardrop trailer but after renting one for a week trip decided I needed a little more space when the weather was bad. Otherwise we spend most of our time outside.
__________________
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
With respect to camping Vs motels, one huge plus to me is being able to sleep in my own bed! even if the sheets get a little dirty, at least it is MY dirt . Since the whole bedbug thing, motels are even less attractive.
David

I so agree, I have traveled for work and spent many a night in some of the finer hotels around the country. Even a few questionable motels in off the beaten path towns. No matter how clean they look, I still know they are not as clean as I would like.


I always wanted to own a B and B, but since the bed bug thing I have quickly changed my mind.





As far as Wallie World and Rest stop's, I honestly don't consider them "camping ". Do they have their place, YES. But that is for another discussion!
__________________

__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reciever Size? melissab Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 10 11-19-2010 08:18 AM
Battery size? joelh Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 5 07-03-2010 09:42 AM
Right or Wrong Size? Vicki A. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-05-2010 09:49 PM
What size? Robin G Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 07-07-2008 10:31 PM
Camper size. General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.