Size matters? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Size matters?

I'd like to conduct a small survey regarding the choices we make when choosing a particular size trailer.

I recognize that there is a vast array of opinions, but I am curious about what makes a 13 footer more or less appealing than a larger unit. Or vice versa... If it only a matter of cost, would everyone opt for 16 or 17 footer over the smaller option?

Does "cuteness" matter?

Do other aesthetics come into play when choosing one particular model over another? Or is design always trumped by function or capability or cost?

Obviously, a larger unit means more space. But for what exactly?

If you could customize yours, what would you add to you trailer that you do not currently possess?

What do you think?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I'd like to conduct a small survey regarding the choices we make when choosing a particular size trailer.

I recognize that there is a vast array of opinions, but I am curious about what makes a 13 footer more or less appealing than a larger unit. Or vice versa... If it only a matter of cost, would everyone opt for 16 or 17 footer over the smaller option?

Does "cuteness" matter?

Do other aesthetics come into play when choosing one particular model over another? Or is design always trumped by function or capability or cost?

Obviously, a larger unit means more space. But for what exactly?

If you could customize yours, what would you add to you trailer that you do not currently possess?

What do you think?
We have a 13 Scamp dlxe front bath.
We deliberated thoroughly before ordering, and we are completely satisfied with it. Cost was not a factor when choosing the size since it has every option offered except the second propane tank. In fact it was a thirteen or no new trailer for us.
We often pull with a 4Cyl Escape, which offers phenomenal fuel mileage and allows such things as parallel parking and drive-up windows. We have all we need in one neat little package.

We have customized ours but if if I could start over I would have gotten a Danfoss type fridge and smaller (higher) side windows.Minor reasons.
For us "size matters" and it must be a 13.I must admit that cuteness is a satisfying element as well. We love the oak, the fullsized bed and the onboard Head/shower.
All that being said... I think the Scamp 16 deluxe side dinette front bath may be a more "perfect" design for many folks,(other than us) which allows for a fullsized permanent bed and and a permanent dinette.
We never have more than the two of us staying in our camper.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I own a 13' Compact Jr. and a 16' Fiber Stream. They both meet the criteria for California's PTI license plates, which are a significant savings over regular "Trailer Coach" plates which are required on a 17' and above unless you find an agreeable DMV clerk.

The Compact Jr's size (or lack thereof) and simplicity really appealed to me. I always considered it a portable motel room that was quick and easy; a teardrop size trailer that one can stand up in. The squareness reduces any "cute" factor, and the present paint (Charcoal Gray) obliterates it. That will have to change.

The Fiber Stream is the optimal size, still small enough for PTI but big enough for a bathroom with a shower, which is used extensively. It is just rounded enough to be cute, and has a '40s or early '50s aura to the shape.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We had a 13' Burro before we bought our Uhaul VT. We found that we had a larger cute factor in the Burro. We actually had someone chase us down into a parking lot to get a tour in the Burro.
In the Uhaul VT (16'), we traded the "cuteness" for a bathroom. If we had to choose between them, the bathroom would win out every time. We still get comments and requests for tours, but not as much as we did with the Burro.
My comfort wins out though. I would love to have that Bigfoot that is for sale to fix up and have the 28' to luxuriate in.
I am a glamper. If we go camping, we must have water and electricity and if possible, wifi. Camping to me is not what it is for some people here; I like to have amenities when in the campground but be able to explore things to see during the day.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
For me, stepping down from a 35 ft Class A, 17 ft was as small of a step down as I was ready to make. I still wanted a bathroom, AC, etc. But needed to make the step down due to Dh's illness. The 17fter allowed me to keep him camping but with the ease of a smaller rv that I alone handle. I don't do engines and other things like roof maintenance that the Class A would have required. I wanted something that, would function for our camping needs as well as when his illness came to where we couldn't travel, I could park the rv and let it sit if need be. Fiberglass fit the bill. Our Class A wouldn't have.

Nothing wrong with a 13 ft'er other than most don't have bathrooms. As far a cute factor, well in my part of the country even a 17 ft Casita is considered cute. Here in CO most rv's are the big rigs so the Casita is small compared to big 5th wheels and monster Class A's.

Cost was not an issue.

Honestly, I don't know that I would add anything to the Casita, at least anything major. Had a screen door add on done this fall. But other than that it's perfect for our needs.

As far as size matters. Well having had several bigger RV's over the years. It does, just means I drug more crap along than we needed...........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
For us a 13' is plenty. The Trillium is easy to pull with a smaller rig, easy to negotiate traffic in cities, sufficient storage, no bathroom or inside shower and the related systems to deal with. I did add a hot water heater and outside shower-like to cook and that means dishes and the outside shower works great for a dish washing station on a roll up aluminum table. I appreciate the fact that the PO put in a new axle with brakes because we like mountain camp grounds and the brakes are great on mountain roads. We almost always boondock and the smaller trailer is easy to get into smaller campsites and with the conversion to led lights the water pump is the only thing drawing much power and if we are carefull we can go 5 days with out needing to recharge. An inside dinet besides the table and bench/bed does have some appeal-maybe a lil bigfoot with the front dinet would be more ideal-all in all we are thrilled with our trill.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
There were specific reasons why I chose a 16, but size was not the attraction. In many ways I wish I had a 13 instead.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Robert Johans... We get great delight in watching the "Big Riggers" twist as we arrive at a camping site!!! Size matters when the sites are small too.
We like the bathroom and separate bed loft/w for& aft sleeping. We have all that the "Biggies" have except the size!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Truckstop shot.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As with Floyd we did a lot of talking and thinking before we purchased. The big question that many people seem to need is a bathroom. I didn't want the cramped feeling of a 13' with a bathroom, so I kept asking my other half if she wanted the bigger trailer with a bathroom, but she didn't want the bathroom. Therefore from our view there was no need for the extra 3' so a 13' was for us. The brand decision was easy, Scamp won out easily. The only other 13' on the market at time was too short inside.
We also knew that we would spend more time outside the trailer than inside.

I have a slightly different point of view than most people primarily because of our past outdoor experiences. Some 40+ years ago the tent was the thing a nice cabin tent. Then downsizing to a large backpacking tent, heavy but plenty of room inside. Then downsizing to a smaller tent where there was barely room for two sleeping bags and maybe a pair of boots. We spent about 25 years using those tents. We found ourselves pretty much limited to 3 season camping. The trailer was purchased to extend season and not let rain stop us. Because we were used to small spaces we could see no reason to purchase anything larger.

After almost 6 years and thousands of mile we're really happy with our decisions.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I need a bathroom and a two bed option. So a 13 ft camper is out for me.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bigger

Neither the 16 or 13 foot trailer can be considered large. People are simply amazed that we can live comfortably in such a small space for an extended period.

We travel for 7 months a year and feel a bathroom is mandatory (and definitely my wife believes it to be the case). As well we like the extra storage space the 16 provides over the 13. We don't carry a lot of stuff but we do like the stuff to have well defined storage locations.

We carry no coolers or duffle bags or the like that needed to be moved from place to place during one's travels.

As to modifications to our Scamp 16, I'd like to maintain the towability of the 16 footer but include a walk around bed/more comfortable sitting area, a more traditional shower, a larger water tank, solar panels, dual batteries, a larger fridge, integrated front and rear storage boxes and 14" tires.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have our 31 ft Kodiak for winter living (snowbirding) in Arizona for 3-4 months. Our 17 foot Egg Camper is for FUN (camping & travelling) the rest of the year. Each is exactly right for us for its designated use.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Yes, cute absolutely matters.

Beyond that basic aesthetic appeal, the efficiency of design in the 13' is the entire point of it for me. It makes renovations more approachable and reflects our overall value of doing more with less.

Ask us again in several years when the kids outgrow the bunks though!
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
fortunate

Hello all,
I have always liked to be outdoors, and I wanted to share that with my kids. So we would go tent camping in the NC mountains. The last time we tent camped, the rain was unbearable. We ended up sleeping in the van. That was it for camping as my wife was concerned. So, one day we stumbled upon our U-Haul ct-13. Being of meager means, I wasn't in a posistion to afford much of a camper. I don't understand it even today, after seeing what these little campers sell for, how we were able to purchase our little camper for so cheap. But, I consider myself very fortunate to have it, and continue to share outdoor experiences with my children on meager wages. They say "beggars can't be choosers" so I am not complaining at all about our little 13 footer. All things considered, with the rising cost of fuel, and everything else, we couldn't ask for a better camper. It's nice to get "cuteness" compliments and head turns as we drive, but the camper is much more than that to me. I want to give good memories to my kids.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike in NC,

I think your thoughts are a good. It's the primary activity of the RVing experience that's important, size is secondary.

Fun travels with your children

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
For us, size trumps all. We are actually now questioning whether or not our Bigfoot 21 footer is big enough for us. Cute just doesn't do it as a reason to select one make/model over another.

We have had, over the years, a Boler 13, a "sticky" 15, a Boler 17 and now the 21 foot egg. (And that 28 foot Bigfoot is looking VERY tempting!)

If we had started with the 21 we would not have bought & sold so many
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
My wife and I are now in our mid 60s and do require more 'amenities'! We have had a 13' Trillium across Canada and down and back to Florida several times and then a 13' Li'l Bigfoot the same. A lull in travelling caused us to buy a big Pop-up instead but all of them lacked a washroom. When a Bigfoot 17CB showed up at the side of the road near us we jumped at the chance and were actually able to trade our Pop-up for the BF, with the addition of some (lots) of cash.
We can tow with a minivan, we have a toilet, with hot water, sink and shower, a 4 burner stove with oven, a 'real' fridge with separate freezer that can even store frozen pizzas, and we can leave the rear bed set-up all the time. That plus an AC, and furnace that can warm us into very cold weather.
There you have it!
We don't get a lot of time to travel with it but when we can, we do, with all that additional comfort.
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #18

British Columbia
I agree - comfort is the issue. If we didn't care about comfort, we wouldn't have an RV at all! On-board shower & toilet, central heat, a microwave, A/C and a big comfy bed are not "luxuries" for us (that's just us - your needs may be different!)- they are "basic to our needs".
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
We are completely happy with a 13 foot Boler. No furnace, no phone, no microwave, no oven, no radio, no TV. We have made it into a permanant bed with a two person dinette for two people. Most of our cooking is done outside as is most of our recreation. Since 1994, we have towed the trailer through much of Canada and through quite a few of the northern states. It's been rebuilt, repainted and refurbished. We do carry along a small pop-up room and a porti poti for times that we can't camp within reasonable distance to a wash room or the one there is too horrible to use.
That said, I would have a hard time turning down an offer of a 17 foot Bigfoot.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
That said, I would have a hard time turning down an offer of a 17 foot Bigfoot.

How about a Boler 1700? (Just happen to know of one for sale, sitting about 20 feet away as I write this....)