Skeeter Repellent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
In a discussion of mosquito repellents on another RV group, I ran across these gems:

"This sounds crazy but it works for me and "mine". We eat a match, from a book of matches, starting three days before camping. The sulphur gets into your blood stream and repels them. You also don't get chiggers or ticks. I started this when it was "prescribed" to me by our Special Forces medic at Ft Bragg. I couldn't believe it when it actually worked."

Also, if you don't want to eat matches, there's a nice recipe here:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf30942158.tip.html

One Summer my ex was taking some sulfur compound for a skin condition and I could actually smell it on her skin. We stopped at a small island to check it out for camping and in less than two minutes, my arm had at least a dozen skeeters it, and she had none! That Summer, I was the meal and she didn't get bitten at all.

Reportedly, the early settlers, and the Native Americans, didn't have too much problem with the skeeters because they were drinking ground water or from shallow wells that have a high sulfur content (you can see the sulfur buildup on the homes when they run the sprinklers from shallow wells).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
thats pretty cool.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
In a discussion of mosquito repellents on another RV group, I ran across these gems:

"This sounds crazy but it works for me and "mine". We eat a match, from a book of matches, starting three days before camping. The sulphur gets into your blood stream and repels them. You also don't get chiggers or ticks. I started this when it was "prescribed" to me by our Special Forces medic at Ft Bragg. I couldn't believe it when it actually worked."

Also, if you don't want to eat matches, there's a nice recipe here:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf30942158.tip.html

One Summer my ex was taking some sulfur compound for a skin condition and I could actually smell it on her skin. We stopped at a small island to check it out for camping and in less than two minutes, my arm had at least a dozen skeeters it, and she had none! That Summer, I was the meal and she didn't get bitten at all.

Reportedly, the early settlers, and the Native Americans, didn't have too much problem with the skeeters because they were drinking ground water or from shallow wells that have a high sulfur content (you can see the sulfur buildup on the homes when they run the sprinklers from shallow wells).
You know, this is fascinating. The way I see it, this could be a "twofer" The sulfur could keep the skeeters away, and the sulfury / rotten egg smell that one might exude, could be an excuse for any other gaseous problems in the trailer that one might get blamed for......hmmmmm

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Here's some stuff thats good for skeeters and vampires, I've never tried it but sounds good!

http://www.insectdefendpatch.com/mosquito-barrier/
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
At least one source reports this is a myth:

http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/14

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
At least one source reports this is a myth:

http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/14

-- Dan Meyer
You are no fun!

On the other hand, since you are from Minnesota, you might just know what you're talking about.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
could be an excuse for any other gaseous problems in the trailer that one might get blamed for......hmmmmm
OK, who fed the dog the left over cabbage rolls and chilli?
Works in our trailer ...
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I can't speak to the ingestion of matches but some years ago when I mentioned to my dentist that we had a trip planned to Portsmouth Island (Cape Lookout National Seashore, NC Outer Banks), he suggested a daily regimen of sulfur tablets for two weeks prior to departure. We still visit Portsmouth each year and my wife swears by the sulfur supplement as a mosquito deterrent. Personnally, I find a copious supply of beer to be equally effective.

DISCLAIMER: Neither the sulfur nor the beer seem to have much of an effect on PI's greenhead flies.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Exclamation

Back years ago the military used sulpher tablets and it worked, now I just bring my wife along and the skeeters love her so I have no worrys
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My aunt and uncle, who lived in Roseland, FL, had an artesian well. It had a very high surlphur content. They too claimed they were immune to mosquitos because of the water.

I couldn't stand that water except when it was made into very strong tea. When I visited them, I was not bothered by the mosquitos either after drinking that sulphur tea.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Aww, I don't know about eating a burnt match....

A friend our ours came to visit us while we were camping last 4th of July weekend and brought a bottle of "Lysterine" in a spray bottle to spray around where we were sitting near the camp fire - claimed it worked for skeeters...I rolled my eyes in dis-belief.. Yet, I have to admit, none of us got bites from skeeters or no-see-ums. Cheap, plain ol' mouthwash for skeeter repellent...plus you can use the left overs in the morning to combat 'morning breath'!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I just saw a couple of mosquito repellent applications for iPhone/iPod touch, which looked like simple high frequency noise to keep away mosquitoes. Anybody know if these are effective?

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
OK, who fed the dog the left over cabbage rolls and chilli?
Works in our trailer ...
Now that gave me a chuckle. Our little JR can clear everyone out of the trailer when she wants to. So what's a 100 lb Ridgeback going to do to ya? Yee Haw!

I have heard that eating garlic will keep the bugs away.

I also saw a tree planter that tied a couple of dozen little strings around the brim of his hat and then tied dragon flies onto the end of each string and let them dangle a couple of inches. He swore that it was effective in keeping the bugs away.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Now that gave me a chuckle. Our little JR can clear everyone out of the trailer when she wants to. So what's a 100 lb Ridgeback going to do to ya? Yee Haw!
James: Our svelt little girl resents that comment. She may be (IS) big in spirit but we were at the vet's just yesterday and she's a mere 66.8 lbs!
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Repellent Lemonade From the website above.....

This is an update on my original request. I managed to talk my mother-in-law out of the recipe. So here it is:
2 tsp. Sulfur (found in pharmacy section at wal-mart)
1 tsp. Of cream of tartar
1 pt. Of honey
you mix all of the ingredients. In a pint jar on take one tsp. Everyday for 2 weeks.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Unhappy

Quote:
Repellent Lemonade From the website above.....

1 [b]pt. Of honey
you mix all of the ingredients. In a pint jar on take one tsp. Everyday for 2 weeks.
How much honey, please?
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
Ewww... I think I might prefer the bites. Although I wonder how it works for blackflies.

~ Liz
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote