Sleeping on the side dinette? Front dinette? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Lorrie
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Sleeping on the side dinette? Front dinette?

How comfortable is it when you sleep on...
— side dinette (scamp? Casita?)
— front dinette Scamp Deluxe A
I’m assuming a foam topper would help. What about width and length for the average adult sleeper?

Thanks!
Lorrie
Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Well FWIW, I know that I wouldn't be able to sleep very well, (if at all,) on the side dinette in my 17 SD Casita. It's only 25" wide. I'd roll a half a turn and wind up on the floor. And it's only 6 feet long, so being 6'2" I couldn't lay straight. We have converted the rear dinette area into a dedicated full-time "full size" mattress bed, (with a real mattress,) that we sleep on cross-wise in the trailer. I wouldn't even want to attempt to sleep on the standard seat cushions, which aren't really all that "cushioning" to even sit on for an extended period of time. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
We put a 3" memory foam topper on the rear dinette of a Scamp16 and that is quite comfortable, and we leave that as a bed so no problem storing the mattress topper. We use the side dinette fairly often but a mattress topper was too bulky for storage. We now use a 1.75" thick self inflating air mattress from REI which is reasonably comfortable, stores easily and quickly.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The front dinette/single bed on the Scamp 16 Deluxe A is child-size in standard configuration due to a cabinet in the front street side corner. If you want to sleep an adult, you can have Scamp omit the cabinet, making the bed full-width.

I sleep on the front lower bunk and find it comfortable (5'7", 160#). It's 26" wide in the center but narrows toward the head and feet. It would not work for a large or tall adult.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Realize that a "real" twin bed is 39 inches wide. So as you get down to 24 inches, its more like the width of a cot than a twin bed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I cut a sheet of 1/4" 'baltic birch" fancy plywood into two panels 31" wide by 36" long, and put them on the Casita 16's 24" side dinette 'bed', then put a 'trifold' mattress I got off Amazon on that, and was WAY more comfortable. note I'm 6' tall and 220 lbs... I didn't bother to secure the plywood, or make a support for the 6" overhang, so I had to be a little careful when sitting on the edge of the enlarged bed, but otherwise it worked out fine for me.

mattress:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FMYFASA

I had to trim a bevel off one long corner of the plywood so the bathroom door would open sufficiently, and I had to trim the foam mattress by the same amount (unzipped cover, cut foam with a sharp breadknife, then zipped back up and folded the excess fabric under the mattress, worked great).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We just changed the way we sleep in our 16' side dinette scamp. The 44" wide bed was getting to us, with climbing over each other in the middle of the night, plus it was not 44" when it starts to curve on the bottom and top. I never thought of it before but we had extra single beds with almost new folding mattresses from IKEA, we used them for extra beds at the cabin when we had it, since sold. Sure enough it fit perfect in the 44" bed, slightly narrower, 39" We took the scamp cushions out and packed them away. We used one back cushion and layed it on its side against the back wall, covering up those metal table clamps. This will remain permanent. My wife will sleep there, just perfect for one. I will sleep on the side dinette bed. It is just right for me at 6' tall 170# slender. That way we both sleep comfortably. Its no issue for me to set up and tear down in the mornings. I am a early riser and wife likes to sleep a little longer. I sit at the side dinette and have coffee till she gets up. Yes i find the side bunk very comfortable. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

TN
Loving these ideas and feedback. Most of the time, it will be just my husband and I. We’re used to a double sleeping pad from our tent days so I’m hopeful the rear dinette will work. We’d use the side dinette or bunks(depending on the model we buy) for whomever is not sleeping. And, when our teen joins us she’ll have the side dinette or bunk to sleep on. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a 2006 SD 17 footer, I have slept on the side dinette bed once, only thing stood out negative to me is the oe cushions are way too stiff for comfortable sleep, I would recommend having memory foam cushions built for the side dinette bed.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Sleping on side dinette

I tried sleeping on the side dinette of in our 16-ft Scamp. I lasted about 10-15 minutes before hitting the floor. My grandson -age 6 - tried one night and ended on the floor after about an hour.

The only way the side dinette bench is sleepable is to strap oneself in for the night or install a bed rail. Also be 4-ft tall and 85 lbs.

We use the floor as a 2nd bed and it works great.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
IIRC my thermarest backpacking self-inflatable is 20", and my bigger base-camping one is 25" wide. That one's not too bad in terms of solo width, but if you're on the tent floor and roll halfway off, your arm/leg/etc. just lies on the cold floor, but doesn't try to pull the rest of you off the bed. Especially with a wall on one side, I wouldn't expect functionality for an adult on a 25" dinette bed.

I'll just try to remember if there's someone sleeping on the floor when those late night calls happen.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #12

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I have no problem sleeping on the side dinette in our 16' Scamp. In the Scamp it is more than 6' long. I use a self inflating mattress made by lightspeed and sold by Costco over the cushions. I'm 5' 11" and 192# . If you can sleep on a cot next to the side of a tent you can likely sleep on the side dinette. You do have to learn to roll in place. I sleep better than on a cot because the surface is flat.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #13

TN
Good points on tent sleeping. We have several single backpacking sleeping pads so that will help with comfort. And primarily this space would be for my teen who is pretty small comparatively. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #14

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
I got tired of doing the Casita Crawl at night, so we split our memory foam mattress into 2 smaller ones, a 30" for the back and 24" for the dinette. We added a piece of 1/4" birch plywood that slides out a bit from the wall of the side dinette at night. The main thing about the tiny dinette is no room to move your arms to help turn, and that takes care of it for me. We move the dinette cushions to the rear by the 30" mattress and add a small round fiberglass table from our boat, easy to work around and can store outdoors if needed. When we have a grandchild along I put the two mattress pieces together again for a full size at the back and the kiddo sleeps on the dinette bed. Works for us, but if you are someone who moves around a lot at night it might not-everyone has their own comfort level!
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
How comfortable is it when you sleep on...
— side dinette (scamp? Casita?)
— front dinette Scamp Deluxe A
I’m assuming a foam topper would help. What about width and length for the average adult sleeper?

Thanks!
Lorrie
We bought the Casita Independence 17' to GET the larger twin beds 83"x31" and cut a 3" memory foam pad up to fit over the 2 cushions.Aaaaahhhhh! Kept the "middle" we cut out of the foam pad for the rare times we want a full king bed in back. Usually only use ONE table top in back..there's just the 2 of us and we prefer to eat outside in our Gazelle bug-proof gazebo, anyways, if possible.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #16

Tennessee
Wink Casita sleeping ??

WE measured tha dimensions of the varios Casita "conversion beds" and after some soul searching we decided to forgo a dinette as such, and bought a Casita Independence Dlx..it has two 31"x83" twin beds in back, and if you drop in both table tops and the side cushions and the "middle" we had left over from cutting a "king size" piece of 3" memory foam, we can use the left over "middle" piece to fill in the whole back of the Indy...into a king size bed wh can sleep 3 adults if needed.

Since there's only two of us most trips, we leave the "memory foam middle" and one table top @ home and only drag one table and its stanchion. We looked at several dinette conversions but I just cannot bring myself to try sleeping on a 24" wide "bed"

BTW we love our 17' Casita Indy!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
People who toss and turn at night and roll over a lot need wider than 2 feet. I don't move around very much at night, rarely turn over, so a twin size bed is wider than I need. But 24" or even 26" is a little too tight for comfort when you are up against a wall on one side of the bed. Although I have slept on that size of bed now and again but would not want to do so often. I have opted for a 30" wide bed in my trailer and there is still enough room for the two cats who insist on sleeping with me on cold nights.

As to length of bed, that can depend on if you typically sleep on your side with knees bent or if you sleep on your back with your legs straight. Bent knee sleeper needs wider and can manage with shorter length. Back sleeper is the opposite. But unless you do a major remodel on a trailer you are going to be limited in how large of a bed you can create in the space.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
When sleeping two people on the smallish bed, one trick is for one person to sleep with their head on one side and the other person sleeping in the opposite direction. This puts the widest portion of each person: shoulders and arms, next to the narrowest portion of the other person: feet, ankles and calves.

It makes a small bed much larger.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Nothing like rolling over and snuggling with feet. ��
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #20

Tennessee