Sleeping Room For Three Adults? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Unhappy

We just started the search for a used fiberglass rv but have had 7 other various RVs plus tents. I did some searching for info but our situation is somewhat unique in that my husband is 6' 2" and our son, who will be with us long term because of his special needs, is 5'2" and 135 lbs plus myself who is 5'4", no one is beyond normal weight limits so would any of the small trailers give us sufficient room to sleep? My husband is used to watching for height problems when he is moving around. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The standard 13' egg floorplan accomodates up to 4 (2 on the dinette and 2 in the front bunks) so 3 isn't an issue.

Height might be an issue in bed however. Your husband will possibly feel a bit cramped vertically when laying in bed.

MOST of the eggs will be a challenge for him standing - but my feeling is that unless you plan on doing a lot of dancing in the trailer - it doesn't matter. What I mean is: 95%+ of your time IN the trailer is spent either laying down or sitting. Height isn't a big concern. Others will differ with me in that regard however.

SOME of the eggs are a wider however and will accomodate your husband's height better. I know that's the case with PlayPacs - but they won't sleep 3 easily without major changes. I seem to remember the Burro's are a bit better in the bed length issue also. I'd defer to owners for the final word however.

I would say that the biggest question I'd have before making any serious recommendations is to ask if you wanted a bathroom - or at least a privacy room (for a portapotty and dressing) in the trailer. If so - you're looking at 16/17 footers anyway, and MOST of their floorplans will accomodate 3 for sleeping (except the Casita Liberty that is - it's pretty much for two).

Second question would be tow vehicle. If it's a truck - you could consider a Scamp or Escape 5th wheel. They have gobs of space in them.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
my husband is 6' 2"
our son is 5'2"
plus myself who is 5'4"
Most FG trailers come with a drop down table that forms a "full" or "queen" bed, but the length on them is generally 6' plus an inch or two. Some, like the Bigfoot and Boler are wider, though.

As for a berth for your son, at his height he could easily cot in a "gaucho," or sofa-like thing that converts into bunk beds at night. Another option is some trailers have an extra, smaller, two seat table to one side of or across the front of the trailer that can also convert to a bed.

The deluxe option in fiberglass trailers are the 5th wheels from Scamp, the Escape, and the Bigfoot. I haven't stood the inside an Escape or Bigfoot 5th wheel, but I understand the Escape runs its bed front-to-back and the Bigfoot is wider than the Scamp we purchased. At 6'+ your husband would probably feel cramped in the default 6' 1" wide loft in the Scamp 5th wheel. We have a Scamp 5er and plan to modify the gaucho and loft area in our unit so the bed runs front-to-back instead of side-to-side, allowing us the space we need to really stretch out. (It'll also provide us with space under the extended platform for storage, which is always at a premium in a small camp trailer.)

The acid test (and only way to know for sure what works best for you) is to come to a FG trailer event and ask a few people if it's OK to look inside their trailers. This is how Lynne and I figured out what trailer we would buy.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #4

Thank you for your input. We would be towing with a Ford Club Wagon (van that tows up to 5200 lbs). We think we may not bother with the bathroom/bath closet although it is a nice to have item it seems the area is always tight even in bigger units. We like the idea of the 13 footer best and tend to lean toward the Scamp but wonder about the small tires that we have seen discussed. So many neat trailers but seems the demand is high for the used units out there. Thanks again, Cathy
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hello,

I am 6'2" and have no problem standing in our Casita 17 LD. We have a king sized bed but wouldn't want to sleep regularly with the whole family although we have done so when caught in a snow storm in DC...our daughter is 6' tall...we were quite comfortable and WARM as our Catahoula slept on the bed too! Hope you find a good one whatever you choose:-)>

Rand:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
We like the idea of the 13 footer best and tend to lean toward the Scamp but wonder about the small tires that we have seen discussed.
Hi Cathy,
I have a 13' Scamp and I love it. I am not a trailer engineer but I am sure that if the 13" tires were a problem Scamp would not use them. Scamp has not survived in the trailer business as long as they have by producing an inferior or unsafe product.
Good luck on finding your perfect Egg,

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have a Scamp 16' with a side dinette, which will sleep 3; but at 6'2" it would be a tight fit. Our daughter who is 5'3" was able to sleep on the side dinette made into a bed. However, I believe Casita makes some with longer beds.
If possible see if you could find one of each to see which would be best for you. I know Casita will give you names and phone # to call to arrange trailers to view, Scamp may also. A Scamp 19' 5th Wheel would allow room as I believe the new Escape 5th Wheel would. I am not sure about other makes.

At 6'2 he would have "used to watching for height problems when he is moving around".

good luck
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #8

The Escape floorplan A has double beds fore and aft. I am a little over 5'10" and don't touch the trailer sides when laying down not the roof when standing.
http://www.escapetrailer.com/Index.aspx?Page=FloorPlanA
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Since you're interested in a 13', I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm 6'2", but I'm a 'short' 6'2". It might be different if your husband is a 'tall' 6'2"

My 13.5' L'il Bigfoot is wide enough for me to sleep comfortably crosswise, and the front table/bunk would certainly be very adequate for someone 5'2". Bed measurements: Rear, 46.5" x 77.5'; Front, 27" x 77". Both have rounded corners. Measurements made at widest/longest points. So the 'full' bed is longer than many, but a bit narrower than many. Go figure.

There is no place inside where I can stand entirely straight up in my sock feet, although it's close. I manage very nicely 99% of the time if the weather is nice. But on a rainy trip where I'm inside a lot (and I AM in the Northwest...), I frequently wish the ceiling was an inch taller.

Otherwise, I am very happy with my Littlefoot. Someday I'll trade it in on a something taller, but not soon. They come up for sale from time to time. If you find a used one for sale, it will probably cost a bit more than some of the other used 13'ers, but the construction, cabinetry, and fittings are good value for money, IMHO. You can see photos of one identical to mine in the albums.

The suggestion to attend a rally is a good one, and if you have a few days available in July (and feel like a road trip) the 2007 Oregon Gathering will have over 100 trailers of all shapes, sizes, brands, and age. Read about it in the Rallies, Get-togethers, and Molded Meets section of this board.

Welcome to FGRV and have fun shopping.