Slinky stowage, Casita. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Slinky stowage, Casita.

This is our new mod for our Stinky Slinky.
Basically we like the new 2018 Casita Indy Dlx but hate having to stow the slinky inside a steel rear bumper. Got this idea from another forum:

Cut a 58"(same length as rear bumper) piece from a new 5"x5" 8' vinyl fence post..which we got from Lowes($25). They have 4x4 posts but we wanted more room. Two simple end caps held on by bungies..[those wh come as a loop w a red ball on the end]...allows opening both ends for rinsing the tube out..

Mounted it on the front frame, right behind the propane btls, with 4 "handcuff quality" HD 18" Zip ties. Tube is big enuf to stow that tank-wand thing too.

The heavy duty zip ties are located by laying the tube on the frame AND MARKING THE FRAME EDGES FROM UNDERNEATH [onto the under side of the tube] while the wife the tube in place at a location SHE wants(LOL)
Then turn it over and drill 2 holes big enuf for the HD zips about 1/4" on either side of the lines you marked for the frame..repeat for the other side.

Then get back under the tongue and pass the ends of the HD zips UP thru a hole and have the wife pass the ends back down to you thru the corresponding holes in the bottom of the tube so that it goes around the frame..2 ties TIGHT on each side. ...is what we used.
WE put a small strip of "command strip stickum" on the top edge of the feames b4 tube installed, for padding. Whole thing cost less than $40 BTW wwe drilled a few vent holes in the under side of the tube too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0531.jpg  
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I thought that was my trailer, then I saw the Warning Sticker on the front of the trailer, I took mine off.

trainman
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3450.jpg  
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I wouldn't trust those Zip-Ties for very long. Vibration wear and sunlight will eat them up. At the very least, if you choose to keep using Zip-Ties, keep an eye on them and inspect/replace them regularly. The last thing you want to see is that tube in your rear view mirror going down the road on its own.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cable installer apologized for using black ties to attach cable to my white house. He said the white ties were easily degraded by UV.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
I needed some guidance on this. Here are some questions.

What is an Indy Dix?
Could multiple posts be stacked to house other things like a carpet?

Thanks a bunch.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Cool Scamp Slinky Storage Problem

I built a storage tube similar to Fred's, using the 5"x5" vinyl post with buckles to secure both end caps. Where to store it? Won't fit under my 13 ft Scamp. Won't fit behind the battery box which is tight against the trailer.

I really don't want to store it on my car roof rack - yuck.

Suggestions desparately needed. Thanks.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I built a storage tube similar to Fred's, using the 5"x5" vinyl post with buckles to secure both end caps. Where to store it? Won't fit under my 13 ft Scamp. Won't fit behind the battery box which is tight against the trailer.

I really don't want to store it on my car roof rack - yuck.

Suggestions desparately needed. Thanks.
Rear bumper maybe.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Heres where I attached mine using uni-strut that I fastened to the frame.https://www.flickr.com/photos/106277...7688255087511/
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #9

Oregon
Thanks, Lee. Good photos. Unfortunately, the Casita sits higher off the ground than my low-rider Scamp.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I wouldn't trust those Zip-Ties for very long. Vibration wear and sunlight will eat them up. At the very least, if you choose to keep using Zip-Ties, keep an eye on them and inspect/replace them regularly. The last thing you want to see is that tube in your rear view mirror going down the road on its own.
I used the zip-ties that are used in A/C duct work and they are pretty large in size, check them out at Home Depot next time you are in the store. I also did like Fred762 did and that was use double sticky tape to hold the tube to the trailer in place. I don't know what the UV rating is on the zip-ties, but I feel that it will last for some time, plus I think 25 ties came in the package, that should be a life time supply.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Name: Lee
California
This is timely! I bought the post but haven’t made my storage yet...oops!
We bought stainless steel zip ties to attach it. That just went to the top of my chore list!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post

What is an Indy Dix?

Thanks a bunch.
That would be a Casita Independence Deluxe.

You probably could mount more tubes, but to me anyway, even one looks like crap. Rather than having my trailer look like a plumber's job truck, I got a Stow-Away box that I hang on my rear receiver hitch, (although it's not a mod recommended for 13's or 16's due to making the rear of the trailer too heavy in relation to the tongue weight.) No problem on a 17 footer or larger.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0003_4 (Small).JPG   IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG  

Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You do have a nice solution there, but...

I built a steel bumper which has served well for many
years for storing the slinky with the additional advantages of protection and aesthetics. All told, the bumper cost less than the plugs for the ends.

What's to hate?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   scamp pictures 005.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #14

Oregon
I like your stainless bumper and tail light system, Floyd. How do I go about getting such a bumper and having it installed? The original Scamp bumper has mounted rear stabilizer jacks, so are you using portable jacks?

Thanks,
Marilyn
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You do have a nice solution there, but...
I built a steel bumper which has served well for many
years for storing the slinky with the additional advantages of protection and aesthetics. All told, the bumper cost less than the plugs for the ends.
What's to hate?
Nice installation Floyd.
As a part of my "mod" for the rear bumper was to remove the thin "tin foil" sewer tube and replaced it with a section 3/16" thick 3" heavy-walled square channel welded to the main 3" frame rails. I never liked that thin slinky holder bumper, and I've seen too many of them rotted out in a couple of years of use.
FWIW, I store my sewer hose in a round 5 gallon plastic bucket in the Stow-Away box, which has worked quite well for many years now, along with all those other things that don't really weigh a lot, but otherwise, do take up a lot of storage space, like the patio mat, leveling blocks, hoses, shore power cord, small camp rake and shovel, camp hatchet, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
RearBumper.JPG   ReceiverHitch2.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember2.JPG  
Old 05-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #16

Tennessee
Slinky storage

We used 2 each side 18"x 1/4" heavy duty "outdoor" rated zip ties.....protected from UV by the 5"x5" post on top. Easy enuf to replace if one gets broken.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I like your stainless bumper and tail light system, Floyd. How do I go about getting such a bumper and having it installed? The original Scamp bumper has mounted rear stabilizer jacks, so are you using portable jacks?

Thanks,
Marilyn
Its just mild light gauge carbon steel tubing. I bought it at a local scrap yard and steel supply. Take along the common bumper plugs which are sold at any RV place to assure buying the right gauge.
The tubing is just welded to stock bumper with a household MIG without effecting the stock bumper or stabilizers.
The bumper guard strip is a piece of unistrut and the guards were made from the foot of an old weight bench. All topped off with black spray paint, black rubber rug runner from the local Ace Hardware and a couple of reflectors.
Get the tube just a fraction of an inch longer than the straight section of the rear bumper, and attach it flush with the top for a stock look.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #18

Tennessee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post

What is an Indy Dix?

Thanks a bunch.
2018 Casita Independence Delux 17'

Spacious Twin Beds and Extra Storage | Casita Independence | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

WE decided there was room for one 5x5" tube behind the propane bottles. We have slept 3..our grown daughter wanted to get her feet wet last week so we had the bed made up as a king and we had plenty of room for 3..but we put the heads at the rear to keep from having to climb over folks in the night P runs ;-)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #19

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Super easy

I drilled holes in a length of white gutter and zip tied it to the front bumper. I secure the ends with ball and loop bungees. My hose sits on there with its giant elbows attached, and since it is in the open air it dries out.

Zip ties do have to be replaced at intervals.
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Segal View Post
I drilled holes in a length of white gutter and zip tied it to the front bumper. I secure the ends with ball and loop bungees. My hose sits on there with its giant elbows attached, and since it is in the open air it dries out.

Zip ties do have to be replaced at intervals.
if you use quality brand (G-B or whatever) BLACK zips, they last a LOT longer than the white or colored ones.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita