Small family in a 13'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Small family in a 13'?

I did a couple of searches and didn't find really what I was looking for. We would love to get a 13' trailer for our family. We are a husband and wife and two kids (boy and girl) ages 7 and 9.

I'm sure the wife and I would be more than comfortable in the rear bed, my concern is with the front bunks. Are they so narrow that our kids would outgrow them and be uncomfortable there shortly? Or are the bunks big enough for an adult to sleep comfortably? I've never really checked the inside out that closely so I'm only going on pictures.

Are there any other small families out there who camp in there 13' trailer who can share some insight and experiences?

Thanks! - Jeremy:wave

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 AM   #2

Small family eggs

I'm in a very similar situation (two kids, boy and girl, ages 8 and 10) and we're in a 13' Boler.

We bought and restored the Boler last spring. Although we used it as a sort of rolling Motel room for a trip out west to visit family, we haven't gotten a chance to REALLY camp in it until this summer. So - this summers trips will be our final test to see if the Boler is likely to work for us in the long-term...

Concerns:
Is the rear bed large enough to be comfortable? The stock bed is about 44" wide and that includes a fairly serious curve along the backside. Just this spring, I added a minor extension which bumps the bed out to 48". We'll see if that works for us.

Will the bunks work for the kids long-term? This one is actually easier to address. Right now, my kids LOVE the bunks. They're fairly narrow, but no more so than your typical sleeping bag. Length isn't an issue either. Weight limits are the issue. The top bunk isn't rated to hold more than about 100lbs. Now - they CAN be reinforced. If we decide to hang onto the Boler for another few years I'll be adding bracing under the seat as well as under the rear bunk support. That will increase its capacity greatly and prevent it from being a problem.

Is a 13' trailer large enough to keep people from killing each other on rainy days? Just this year I got a self-supporting screen room ($35) which I set up in front of the Boler. A lot of our 'sitting around' is done out there and it's protected enough to be dry in all but a driving storm. Having that outside space helps a great deal. I'm not quite sure how we'd be if we were forced to spend several hours all together inside the Boler though. :) The key point there may be just remembering that there's always the car and a nearby town that's bound to have a movie theatre. :)

OK, That being said: What sort of trailers am I eyeing, in the event we decide the Boler isn't gonna cut it?

1) Pop-up (yeah, ya-all can lynch me now). Benefit being large beds, big living space, small package to tow, easy to put in garage. Downside: I'm sure I'd get sick of setting the thing up and taking down. Concerns about rain. Tenting has GOT to be the weak point. Oh - and lifter mechanisms have a reputation for failing.
2) Big egg (16-17 footer). Several look like possibilities. My current personal favorite would be a Casita 17' spirit standard. Bigger rear bed, plenty of seating areas. Another option might be the Wood custom Scamp with side dinette (if we could drop the front bath and get a bunk/couch instead.)
3) Other trailers. I don't really like the hybrids - maybe if they made them smaller, but they're all bigger than they need to be. There are several current (or recent year) trailers that might be good options. All have their good points, none are ideal of course.

If you are as yet unsure what you might want and what might work. You might consider finding an economic used trailer. That would allow you to get some camping time in. Doing that, you'll figure out what it is you DO and DON'T want. After that, you can sell your experiment and buy the trailer that fits your new (experienced) want-list. If you get an older egg (15yr +), you're virtually guaranteed that you won't lose any money when you sell it so it's a fairly cheap learning experience.

mkw

Old 06-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #3

Hi
We are a family of four in a 13' Trillium. The girls 14 & 16 have prefered tents for years and usually have friends with them anyways. We did a long trip at ages 12 & 14 and the Trillium was wonderful. We did an adult and kid on the bed and adult lower bunk kid top. Worked great although the kids did complain about the shelf over the front window crowding the top bunk. It can easily be removed though.

The Trills back bed is 48" and more square corners than the Bolers. We don't really loose any bedspace because of the curve. The bunk is no different than sleeping in a sleeping bag on a single air mattress. It is rated for 150 lbs but I think that is too high, maybe 125 safely.

Nancy

Old 06-05-2003, 11:15 AM   #4

Back in 1982, as a high school graduation present to myself, I borrowed my uncle's car and my parent's 13' Boler, rounded up two friends, and we went on a 5,000 mile 15 day tour of the southwest. Friend #1 was 6'7" and about 185 lbs. He got the dinette. Friend #2 was 5'10" and about 150 lbs. He got the bottom bunk. I was 6'1" and 145 lbs. I took the top bunk. Our families were sure we'd all hate each other by the time we got back, but truth is we had a ball, really strengthened our friendships, and formed some of the best memories of our lives. The Boler did great, and we had no concerns about weight on the bunks.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #5

Paul

C'mon Paul, did you have any concerns about ANYTHING back then? Let alone the bunk? I sure never did. You just go, and what ever happens, you deal with it. Right? I was lucky, nothing ever did.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:41 PM   #6

Ah, but you missed the fact that this was MY PARENT'S Boler.:nono And, you gotta know my parents. I've broken a lot of dad's stuff over the years, and it aint pretty. It says a lot that dad wasn't concerned about us using the bunk beds. Actually, I can honestly say that we were three pretty consciencious guys. We took the liberty of this trip pretty seriously. We kept speeds at 50mph while towing, checked the oil at every fill-up, required the driver who was "on deck" to nap to ensure alertness, required the person riding shotgun to NOT nap, in order to ensure the alertness of the driver, and we brushed our teeth faithfully.:)

Old 06-06-2003, 09:25 AM   #7

Paul

That's pretty impressive. Your Dad trusted you to do the right things, or he wouldn't have given it to you. I took my dad's out once before we sold it.(I think I was maybe 23) it was a 20' Avion, and I had to drive the '79 extra cab long bed pick up to haul it. and it was the first time I had ever pulled anything. I don't know how my dad was holding up, but I was scared to death, but being me, determined to go and learn to do it. I had no real clue about trailers then tho. Dumping, water tanks, lights. And I had to have the guy at the campground back it in for me. But it was a good trip, and I guess that's when I got the bug. I just wish we would have kept that trailer.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #8

i. too am looking for a 13, for my family of 3, mom, dad and 16 year-old son, our tent trailer just sold yesterday, it served its purpose for once a year camping trip but not for travelling, hubby finally confessed he was tired of putting it up, so i have him talked into a scamp, looking for used but here in calif. its nearly impossiable, so i'll guess i'll have to bite the bullet and buy new. the reason for a 13 is ease of towing for us . our mini van is getting alittle old and tired.my 16 year-old is excited about scamps everytime i say 'maybe we should look at this hes like no stay with the scamp( he sees how small and towable, already planning a trip when he gets drivers lic.( at least he thinks so) we have owned every r.v started out with a starcraft pop-up, than 21 travel trailer than a class c motor home, than a terry 5th wheel, than back to a pop-up, jayco. now we want something small , and will be our last r.v ..so good luck on what you decide on , i know i keep thinking will i be happy with this one?

Old 06-07-2003, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Orginally posted by linda
i keep thinking will i be happy with this one?
If you read the thread where Charles is sitting through a storm with a tornado close by and the trailer only rocked a little and some other kind, up the way, rolled over, you will know this is the trailer type for you. or at least it was for me.

We will just have to help you find one. :yep.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:07 AM   #10

Just joined

Hi, My wife and I just bought a 1978 Trillium 12' for $1500. It's in good shape. The last owned used it. The water tank has been removed and a small one mounted on the back bumper. Also a small air conditioner is mounted in the back window. Don't know if the price was to much or not. Everything seems to work.

Would like to know more about the history of Trillium. Haven't run accross it yet.

Also, my wife and I have two greyhound dogs. could be tight. Plan on fixing it up some more. Any coments would be welcome.

We live in Green Bay, Wi. If any clubs are near by.

Please E mail gwilliams@new.rr.com

Old 06-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #11

Hi Gaylon
Welcome to this forum.Post lots and have fun.We have a few folks on here who have Trilliam RVs they will get back to you when they read this.
:wave

Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Orginally posted by Gaylon Williams

Hi, My wife and I just bought a 1978 Trillium 12' for $1500. It's in good shape. The last owned used it. The water tank has been removed and a small one mounted on the back bumper. Also a small air conditioner is mounted in the back window. Don't know if the price was to much or not. Everything seems to work.

Would like to know more about the history of Trillium. Haven't run accross it yet.

Also, my wife and I have two greyhound dogs. could be tight. Plan on fixing it up some more. Any coments would be welcome.

We live in Green Bay, Wi. If any clubs are near by.

Please E mail gwilliams@new.rr.com
sure wish you had started a new topic with this. it's going to get lost deep in the *family in a 13*.