Smoking Batteries (was: Battery problem in our Parkliner) - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #181

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a disconnect switch, and as I recall with the PD4045 there is a jumper that has to be removed when a disconnect switch is used.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #182

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed a cut off switch and a 30 amp circuit breaker right at the terminal, outside the battery box.

Heavy Duty Battery Cutoff Switch

Bussmann BP/CBC-30HB Type I 30 Amp Circuit Breaker Two 10-32 Threaded Studs : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #183

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As "un-nice" as it sounds, a good reason for disconnecting the battery when storing your rig is critters that like to chew on wires. Mr. Mouse chewing through the insulation on a hot wire can lead to a short/fire.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #184

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well Bob either way would end up with a fire if the mouse chews a hot wire. Im planning on adding a solar panel at the end of the summer so it would keep power getting pumped into the batteries all winter long. I do use mine in the winter as well so it won't just be sitting in the driveway (unless its a real snowy winter).

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #185

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hopefully mice will not get in the trailer. Funny story about mice in my shed. I noticed that they stopped leaving their markers behind one year and was puzzled? I went out one morning to pull out my lawn tractor to cut my lawn and when I sat down on the seat, it moved? I sat up and there was this black snake curled up on my seat. I do not think my feet touched the ground on the way back to the house. I did not cut my grass that summer, hired a lawn service. No mice but I lost my use of my tractor, for awhile!!
Moral of story, do not get a snake if you want to eliminate mice.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #186

New Jersey
Registry
lol too funny Jim!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #187

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The idea being that if Mr. Mouse did chew through a wire, and the battery was disconnected, when you connect the battery the chances of noticing the short before it burns the rig to the axles might be better than if it was sitting in the middle of a storage yard and the battery was connected when the short occured.

Even the slighest load, such as the standby current on a TV or a Radio, will drag down a battery over a period of months. That, in addition to the fire risk, are good reasons to always disconnet the battery during any storage over even a few weeks.

And, if I had a solar battery keeper, I would wire that direct to the battery to be able to still disconnect the rest of the loads and wiring during storage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #188

"but I am not as concerned about airborne gases with our setup."

I think I will stick with Optimajim's advice, gasses are both flammable and toxic, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #189
Commercial Member

Name: Jim
Trailer: Featherlite Trailer (no RV)
Wisconsin
Thom, Carol, Brian & Ken I'm always happy to help (and pretty easy to find). Ken, all of our batteries can be safely mounted on their sides, although we encourage folks to orient the vent ports toward the top side of the battery in those instances.

Scott, your calculations regarding your parasitic draw are correct- a 46-milliamp draw will discharge a battery (or batteries) at a rate of about 1.1 amps per day. Two Group D34M batteries will have a combined capacity of 110 Amp hours, which means they can power a 46-milliamp draw for just under 100 days before they are considered completely discharged. However, that assumes the batteries are fully-charged when they go into storage, which isn't always the case and ignores the fact that sulfation will begin forming in the plates once the batteries are discharged below about 12.4 volts, which may happen well before those 100 days are up. Solar maintainers are a nice option, provided they are properly-regulated.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
OPTIMA® Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #190

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Concerning maintenance I have purchased the chargers which provide a desulphation mode which I believe provides a timed application of low voltage AC across the plates to prevent or displace sulphates. Would this not be better then the solar charger. I think that particular charger would be great in limited use lets say while its outside over a long weekend or at worst where shore power is not available. Just asking.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #191

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I just saw this on YouTube and wonder if you could comment on it. I know of sulphation and its consequences and this seems significant.
Thanks again
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #192

New Jersey
Registry
Well I'm gonna try to get into my battery area and take a few measure ments I honestly don't know if a vented battery box will fit. Its real tight in their with breaker panel, water tank, and everything else. Wish they only made the battery serious that you would just have to add a hose to it....seems to me that it would make the most sense.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
......Wish they only made the battery so that you would just have to add a hose to it....seems to me that it would make the most sense.
Agree. Maybe OptimaJim can suggest something.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #194

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Concerning maintenance I have purchased the chargers which provide a desulphation mode which I believe provides a timed application of low voltage AC across the plates to prevent or displace sulphates. Would this not be better then the solar charger. I think that particular charger would be great in limited use lets say while its outside over a long weekend or at worst where shore power is not available. Just asking.
thanks
Depends on the solar charger. My GoPower controller is a 4 stage charger & does a desulphation or equalization stage every 28 days, or whenever the battery voltage falls below 12.1V. It has 3 battery profiles, so it can be shut off for those battery types that are not happy with a equalization cycle.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #195

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Well I'm gonna try to get into my battery area and take a few measure ments I honestly don't know if a vented battery box will fit. Its real tight in their with breaker panel, water tank, and everything else. Wish they only made the battery serious that you would just have to add a hose to it....seems to me that it would make the most sense.
Why not rig something up like a hairdryer bonnet? Here's a pic of what that is for all you Persons of the Male Persuasion :

Seems like an interior frame could be used to keep it from lying down on the batteries...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #196

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Maybe somebody can enlighten me a bit.
The OP was about two batteries spitting out liquid.
In the pursuit of an answer of why did the batteries spit out liquid it was discovered there was a basic design issue concerning battery placement. The rest of this thread has been about attempting to band-aid that placement. Isn't that the trailer manufacturer's problem? Shouldn't ParkLiner be in the middle of this?

Also I don't believe it was ever said what the root cause. Somebody somewhere said is was the batteries. But it was also said that was very unlikely that both batteries would fail at the same time. So what was the root cause of the initial battery failure?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #197

New Jersey
Registry
Nope Byron....it wasn't the manuf problem it was a battery problem.... unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't add the link to save you reading back a page or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Maybe somebody can enlighten me a bit.
The OP was about two batteries spitting out liquid.
In the pursuit of an answer of why did the batteries spit out liquid it was discovered there was a basic design issue concerning battery placement. The rest of this thread has been about attempting to band-aid that placement. Isn't that the trailer manufacturer's problem? Shouldn't ParkLiner be in the middle of this?

Also I don't believe it was ever said what the root cause. Somebody somewhere said is was the batteries. But it was also said that was very unlikely that both batteries would fail at the same time. So what was the root cause of the initial battery failure?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #198

Quote:
Nope Byron....it wasn't the manuf problem it was a battery problem.... unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't add the link to save you reading back a page or 3...........
It would be nice if the batteries were installed in such a way that if the batteries spit out hydrogen or acid, the occupants are not endangered.

It seems like the batteries got super discharged, but I guess we don't know that for a fact.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #199

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

It was the O.P. reporting what Camping World diagnosed as the problem who stated it as "bad batteries" or words to that effect. As I understand it there was nothing in the placement/wiring/converter that caused the meltdown. I'm not sure whether/how Parkliner could explain about the batteries themselves...

I'm interested in what causes/constitutes "bad batteries", too. Maybe Optima Mike can help us out as to possible causes for that since he's familiar with the battery type.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #200

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It was the O.P. reporting what Camping World diagnosed as the problem who stated it as "bad batteries" or words to that effect. As I understand it is there was nothing in the placement/wiring/converter that caused the meltdown.

I'm interested in what causes/constitutes "bad batteries", too...maybe Optima Mike can help us out as to possible causes for that since he's familiar with the battery type.

Francesca

Thanks I found it. Not sure I would trust Camping World for a correct diagnosis.

I hope somebody sends those batteries back to Johnson Controls/Optima for evaluation.

That still doesn't solve the location/design issue.