Smoking Batteries (was: Battery problem in our Parkliner) - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #281

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Thanks again Jim, we do appreciate the info. I did think about the consequences of mounting the battery on the outside.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #282

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah seems this is going to be a problem finding a place to securely and safely fit the batteries. Its too bad that Optimum didn't make all their batteries with a port for a hose since space is at a premium in most boats and camper's/ caravan's.

Mimi were you able to fit one of those vented battery boxes in the dinette?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #283

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Its too bad that Optimum didn't make all their batteries with a port for a hose since space is at a premium in most boats and camper's/ caravan's.
I agree, but the Group 34 size seems to exist mostly for automotive applications (in a red-top starting form) for which this size is a very common fit, and which are usually in well-vented underhood locations. The larger Group 27 and Group 31 seem better suited for RV use, although of course in any size a deep-cycle version would be the RV choice. Of course, a pair of the bigger ones might not fit, but a lot of trailers would likely find a single Group 31 (Optima D31) adequate and much easier to package than two Group 34s; one D31 would still have more capacity than the stock Group 24 size in my Boler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #284

New Jersey
Registry
I think if I was able to sell my 2 batteries I might consider that... but not sure if anyone would buy used batteries at a fair enough price. Now I do have a thought.

I wonder if the battery boxes would fit in here. Opposite of where they are now... or 1 battery in a vented box in here and 1 in its original spot. I would need to take mesurements.
Attached Thumbnails
15.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #285

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Deryk, I did think about that but didn't like the idea have having it around propane. Probably would be OK since the pilot is near the outside, but I did like your idea better under dinette seat. I know that it takes up room.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #286

New Jersey
Registry
It probably wouldn't be a problem and they could still be vented out the back of the ParkLiner away from any pilot light. I dont leave the hot water heater on, I use it and shut it off (not sure if they consume alot of propane or not) If I went outside to light it and smelled sulphor I would start looking around to see whats wrong.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #287

Name: Mimi
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Derek, unfortunately not even just one of the boxes fit in the compartment, it's just too wide with everything else in there. I thought about reloc to the opposite compartment too, but the propane water heater worries me too much.

The custom box we built is not slotting into the space assembled, so we will try taking a different approach, putting it in partially assembled and then finishing up and sealing within the compartment. The remaining option left for us, having the sealed boxes under the dinette bench is starting to look more attractive. I feel the same as you and Thom: If I'd known them what I know now, we'd simply gone with the sealed 27's with the vent holes/tubes. C'est la vie!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #288

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Has anyone considered going to one propane bottle and moving one of the batteries to the tongue? That might open up enough space to put the remaining inside battery in a vented box.

Tongue weight would be about the same....

I've always traveled with one (main) propane tank only. I carry a one-gallon spare for those "just in case" events, but even during heating season a tank will last me five days, and that includes cooking and refrigeration. The battery sits alongside the tank on the tongue, and is locked down with the same lock that secures the tank.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #289

Name: Mimi
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Thanks Francesca. I like this idea as an alternative. It's good to have additional options on the table.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #290

New Jersey
Registry
Swap out the 20lb steel tank for a 30lb fiberglass tank, almost as much propane as the 2 tanks and you can tell how much propane you have left. Im not considering the option of moving a battery outside... theft.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #291

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's very easy to lock down a battery...

Another thing to consider, Mimi, (and perhaps simplest of all), is Brian's advice per a single bigger battery. The Parkliner isn't an all-electric rig like Snoozy and Eggcamper- does it really need two batteries?

I guess only the owners can decide that, and given their particular needs.

But if one battery is deemed sufficient and putting it on the tongue is chosen, it would solve a lot of safety/access issues and open up interior storage space to boot!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #292

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Swap out the 20lb steel tank for a 30lb fiberglass tank, almost as much propane as the 2 tanks and you can tell how much propane you have left. Im not considering the option of moving a battery outside... theft.
You're not worried about somebody stealing the fiberglass tank?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #293

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
My Scamp has the battery on the front tongue as have all the other Scamps I have seen. None of them were locked . If battery theft is such a common concern and problem "Why doesn't Scamp provide a locked battery case from the factory"
I would believe that safety is a bigger concern than theft .
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #294

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not to mention the tendency to leave the tow vehicle outside.