Smoking Batteries (was: Battery problem in our Parkliner) - Page 22 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #295

Name: Mimi
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My Scamp has the battery on the front tongue as have all the other Scamps I have seen. None of them were locked . If battery theft is such a common concern and problem "Why doesn't Scamp provide a locked battery case from the factory"
I would believe that safety is a bigger concern than theft .
I have always had the attitude that anyone who wants my stuff bad enough to go steal it can have it, just leave me (and my family) alone. I know there are unscrupulous people out there but I like to believe most people we come across are good. And most possessions are replaceable, people and limbs not so much, and I don't mean to be insensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It's very easy to lock down a battery...

Another thing to consider, Mimi, (and perhaps simplest of all), is Brian's advice per a single bigger battery. The Parkliner isn't an all-electric rig like Snoozy and Eggcamper- does it really need two batteries?

I guess only the owners can decide that, and given their particular needs.

But if one battery is deemed sufficient and putting it on the tongue is chosen, it would solve a lot of safety/access issues and open up interior storage space to boot!

Francesca
Thanks Francesca, for highlighting Brian's post, and to Brian for sharing thoughts and advice on a single battery option. Because we just bought a set of replacement batteries, I don't quite have the appetite to get another-- but where it addresses safety concerns, it's not completely off the table! And for sure we will be much more informed on battery options when we next have to get replacements and can make a more informed selection.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #296

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Swap out the 20lb steel tank for a 30lb fiberglass tank, almost as much propane as the 2 tanks and you can tell how much propane you have left.
Just being able to tell how much propane is in the tank could be reason enough alone for us to make the switch... thanks Deryk!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #297

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
ramblin' thoughts as i pass through : )

I agree that Life and Limb is more important than possessions!

And i will add...for myself... From my business/management training;

It is profitable for all that the environment, (read yard, home, auto, rv, etc) as much as possible, be free of any opportunity to steal/vandalize. (Thom's paraphrase). One company i worked for in the late 1970's was so strong on this policy they would actually counsel a manager if they could point out areas of the operation that could be considered as "tempting" either employee or customer theft/shrink!

IOW, in their mind;

The individual that created an environment with an opportunity to steal was as guilty as the one who stole within that environment.

And that is how i've lived my life since.

Soooo.... If i leave the trailer or van, i lock them up (that's what door locks are for right?) If i _can_ secure an item that is out in the open, i will do so to the best of my ability. If...etc...

Happy & Safe travels,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #298

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

The individual that created an environment with an opportunity to steal was as guilty as the one who stole within that environment.
"Don't help a good boy go bad"-
I remember that ad campaign from the '70's...and it STILL makes my Catholic blood boil!!!!

I absolutely, totally reject this nonsense. The only person responsible for evil done is the evildoer.

End of speech!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #299

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry

OK i'll bite (this is so far off topic! LOL)

I used to rub elbows with peeps that saw the devil behind every bad thing that happened...

I firmly believe that if i do a bad thing, i am to blame. . . not some one or force that made me.

Though...i will live my life as to not purposely lay a trap for another to stumble.

Gets off soap box.

PS...i was raised in a Catholic home!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #300

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I'm not going to worry about anybody stealing my battery , be it on the tongue or rear bumper. I've had a few campers in general and have never had it happen. Not to say it couldn't tomorrow even while sitting in my own driveway. And I've only talked with one person who was camping that it did happen to them. If it was a big issue I'd have it in a lock box.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #301

Florida
We haven't yet given up on the idea of a mod to accommodate two batteries. I've created a new thread under the Mods category since it seems fitting.
Custom Battery Box

I will post about our progress (or lack of) there