Smoking Batteries (was: Battery problem in our Parkliner) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some interesting reading How is incoming charge distributed amongst multiple batteries wired in parallel? - batterybank electrical resolved | Ask MetaFilter.
Mimi,
Can you tell if your charger black/white wires is connected to one battery or if the black wire goes to one battery and the white wire to the other? that can help. The metal strap issue is the possibility that the metal could short out your battery if it were co contact both your positive and negative terminals. A plastic or rubber strap would not have that issue.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #30

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi Lee View Post
Thanks so much for all the eyes on this and the comments. It is really much appreciated.

Attachment 58944
In the picture from this post, it looks like something liquid dripped and splattered on the floor of the trailer. Any idea what that was? I am just wondering if heat on that liquid somehow generated the smoke.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Based upon your picture, the liquid stain doesn't explain the issue. But it does show that your converter feeds the first battery only, with second wires going to the other battery.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #32

Name: Mimi
Florida
The liquid was spewing out of the battery when we opened up the lid.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #33

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some interesting reading How is incoming charge distributed amongst multiple batteries wired in parallel? - batterybank electrical resolved | Ask MetaFilter.
Mimi,
Can you tell if your charger black/white wires is connected to one battery or if the black wire goes to one battery and the white wire to the other? that can help. The metal strap issue is the possibility that the metal could short out your battery if it were co contact both your positive and negative terminals. A plastic or rubber strap would not have that issue.
Jim

I am not trying to be nasty here but this simply does not say what you think it does.
If you read every post and think about the nature of a battery bank with identical batteries this is just not a factor at all as long as the batteries are close together and in similar condition.

I am not sure why it is important to you to keep trying to make this same point but it just is not applicable here to this instance.

As far as the charger is concerned it sees just one battery.
As long as the batteries are the same and it looks like they are,they will divide the current from the charger equally and be considered charged by the charger when the proper battery internal voltage is reached.

Again this assumes that they are the same which they really should be in an RV battery bank.
The minuscule difference in the resistance in the wiring here is just not prt of this system either way the batteries are connected in this example,in other words it is not better or worse to make sure they are connected the way you show,they are the same.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Registry
Which battery, the one with two wires attached or the rear one with single wires attached?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Jim

I am not trying to be nasty here but this simply does not say what you think it does.
If you read every post and think about the nature of a battery bank with identical batteries this is just not a factor at all as long as the batteries are close together and in similar condition.

I am not sure why it is important to you to keep trying to make this same point but it just is not applicable here to this instance.

As far as the charger is concerned it sees just one battery.
As long as the batteries are the same and it looks like they are,they will divide the current from the charger equally and be considered charged by the charger when the proper battery internal voltage is reached.

Again this assumes that they are the same which they really should be in an RV battery bank.
The minuscule difference in the resistance in the wiring here is just not prt of this system either way the batteries are connected in this example,in other words it is not better or worse to make sure they are connected the way you show,they are the same.
I'm trying to figure out if this issue caused the charger to overcharge the first battery which may have spewed the acid causing the smoke. I think the articles say that the charger will act differently if there are multiple batteries, do they not? I did not have this issue when I used Optima batteries in my dual hookup, because of the hookup. I think the charger is treating this setup as 2 batteries vs one large battery if it were wired otherwise, just looking for answers.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
Mimi,
Jim the charger wires run to the same battery. The one on the right side closest to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2495566674.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	58957
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #37

Name: Mark
Alabama
Quote:
Yikes!

Again, no expert but means you have battery acid down there right? Might it be a good idea to sprinkle a little baking soda to make sure it is neutralized?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #38
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Don't touch it. If it came from the battery it's sulfuric acid. Get some baking soda and sprinkle it on. If it's acid it will bubble.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #39

Florida
Quote:
Which battery, the one with two wires attached or the rear one with single wires attached?
Out of both batteries from those round "outlets" opposite of the terminals. They are blue where they were coming out. The other sealed ones are still black.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm puzzled by what I'm reading...can anyone explain the nature of the "smoke"? Is/was it hydrogen sulfide, plain steam, or what?

And:

How did the "smoke" get inside the living area of the trailer? Aren't batteries installed inside a trailer usually in a sealed compartment vented to the outside?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #41

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if this issue caused the charger to overcharge the first battery which may have spewed the acid causing the smoke. I think the articles say that the charger will act differently if there are multiple batteries, do they not? I did not have this issue when I used Optima batteries in my dual hookup, because of the hookup. I think the charger is treating this setup as 2 batteries vs one large battery if it were wired otherwise, just looking for answers.
No that is not what the articles say.

The 1st key point here is that this bank is made of 2 identical batteries thus to the charger they will present the same load if they are both in good condition.

Good Condition is the 2nd key point.

If they are alike then the connection does not differ at all aside from the way it looks on paper in your example.

If one of the batteries is not OK then this could be a source of the trouble for sure as one is presenting a dead short or forcing the charger to dump more than its rated current somehow but if so connecting them the other way will yield the exact same result as again it is exactly the same except on paper.

What the article does say in regards to different batteries charging differently is all about having non matched batteries connected together which then DOES change the way they each divide the available charging current and can limit the extent to which they will charge.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #42

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post

Don't touch it. If it came from the battery it's sulfuric acid. Get some baking soda and sprinkle it on. If it's acid it will bubble.
Oh dear, I should have known but didn't even think about that. Will do that!