Smoking in your car - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Smoking in your car

According to Snopes:

snopes.com: No Smoking in the Car with Children

Starting Jan 1, 2014 it will be against the law in Oregon to smoke in your car if children under 18 are present in the car.

Reading further, I see that other states, (Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Maine, and Utah) already have similar laws. This could be important to persons who cross state lines in their travels and don't realize that there are different laws applying, and not just to smoking.

Moderators: Maybe we could use a section dealing with laws, etc.

Roger, "Smokey Joe, CH

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We've had that in BC for some time.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Thank you Glenn Baglo

You see, I didn't realize that. I haven't smoked for near forty years, but maybe there are other laws which one places themselves under that they are not aware of by crossing a state, provincial or national border that we could discuss here.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup the no smoking with children in the car has been in BC since 2009. Also illegal since 2010 to smoke on a public beach or park in Vancouver BC.

The province of BC also banned the use of hand-held devises while driving back in 2010 as well.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Pretty much the same in Alberta. Illegal to smoke with underage children in the vehicle, or pretty much any public place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
According to Snopes:

snopes.com: No Smoking in the Car with Children

Starting Jan 1, 2014 it will be against the law in Oregon to smoke in your car if children under 18 are present in the car.

Reading further, I see that other states, (Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Maine, and Utah) already have similar laws. This could be important to persons who cross state lines in their travels and don't realize that there are different laws applying, and not just to smoking.

Moderators: Maybe we could use a section dealing with laws, etc.

Roger, "Smokey Joe, CH
AHEM!...Nowadays, you probably need to specify that you are referring to tobacco smoking....
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmmm... Maybe the best idea is to just stop smoking so one doesn't don't stink up the TV, the trailer or any children..... Remember, the acorn doth not fall far from the tree..... or "An example seen is an example set"

Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The reality is that the you can not be stopped for smoking in the car with someone under 18. The law only applies if you have already committed another traffic offense.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

Somehow I don' think that it makes much sense to say that it's OK to contaminate minors with 2nd hand smoke as long as you don't break any traffic laws. As most drivers go years and years between infractions the law would have little, if any effect or tooth.

Anyway, in California that's not the way it works. Here's the actual section from the Health & Safety Code, no mention is made of Vehicle Code violation requirements. However, less progressive states may be different.

"Smoke Free or Die"? NOT
Health and Safety Code Section 118948

Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The reality is that the you can not be stopped for smoking in the car with someone under 18. The law only applies if you have already committed another traffic offense.
The reality where?
What law in what state are you referring to?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

Florida
Oregon's law makes smoking a secondary offense. As I read the law it can not be the purpose of the stop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I recently checked online for a friend about Mich. firearms law and a handgun even if given or purchased from a family member can not be transported back into the state but must be shipped to a licensed firearms dealer for pickup with the proper paperwork. And Mich. is not as strict as some states.

Just an example of one of those laws that traveling say to visit family might give you problems.

Just for the record the air pollution inside a car in heavy traffic at a stop light is worse or as bad as smoking with a window down while driving. Still we tend to avoid smoking with the grandkids in the car, don't in the house or camper, too messy.

Won't go to places that won't allow me to smoke in my campsite. Figure the place/state is run by foolish people best to avoid it.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Oregon's law makes smoking a secondary offense. As I read the law it can not be the purpose of the stop.
It's pretty easy to come up with a reason to stop somebody. The police are pretty good at excuses to stop you. Follow you for a short ways and you'll break some law or another. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it since I quit smoking about 40 years ago, one the best things I've done. One of the worst was to start smoking in the first place.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #14

My Dad's family is from very Old Skool West VA, they are so WV that almost all of them have one leg shorter than the other from standing on all them thar hills dey have.

Any, needless to say it's a family that has been smoking for over 200 years. My Dad died from cancer at 51. One day several years later when we were visiting my then 6 y.o. son asked his 53 y.o. Great Uncle "Pop-Pop, don't you want to see me grow up" when asked why the question, he told him, "Because every one here smokes they must not want to see me grow up" From that day on not only did he quit, but he also declared his house smoke free for the 30 or so relatives that frequently visited..... My son is gone, but 86 y.o. "Pop-Pop" is still with us.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Alberta law makes it illegal to smoke in vehicles with anyone under 18 years old present, punishable by a $1,000 fine on the first offence. There was a statement issued by police that they will be enforcing it too.

I see no issue with people smoking in their own campsites, just so long as everyone there is okay with it.

I quit about 26 years ago when my wife announced she was pregnant with our first child.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #16

Florida
I 'my not a smoker but find it interesting that the majority of the population, as witnessed by their votes, supports smoking pot but is against cigarettes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Cigarette s are worse for you.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Cigarette s are worse for you.
Unless your in Texas and get 30 years in prison for the pot.
(Timothy Leary refernce)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Unless your in Texas and get 30 years in prison for the pot.
(Timothy Leary refernce)
Ridiculous

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
That may be the case in your state but I sure wouldnt coach people into believing that to be factual in all States or Provinces.

In BC for example the police do indeed have the authority to stop any vehicle when they suspect someone is smoking in the presence of children! they dont need another reason to pull the car over.
Closed Thread