Smoking in your car - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My statement was only in reference to the original poster's comment about the Oregon Law, partially because I wonder about the motives of that class of law.

My state, NH, does not have a no smoking with minors law. If a parent smokes in a small volume with their children or probably anyone, it probably indicates a bigger problem than the cigarette smoke.

Personally there are too many laws that seem to resolve little.

Does preventing smoking in the car prevent smoking at home? Oops, need another ineffective law.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
If I remember correctly in my studies, the Bible gives us
ten commandments and rabbis have listed about 162 variations of those laws.

But the USA has more than 4 million laws.
Instead of enforcing the laws to start with, after every election
they pass more laws. Who knows how many laws are on the books today.

As far as smoking, I gave it up before I got started when they went to 35 cents
a pack. And being the cheap skate I am, I would never pay 4 bucks a pack.

My mom and dad were chain smokers. You couldn't even see out the windshield
for the tar left behind. Now that's heavy smoking.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
My statement was only in reference to the original poster's comment about the Oregon Law, partially because I wonder about the motives of that class of law.

My state, NH, does not have a no smoking with minors law. If a parent smokes in a small volume with their children or probably anyone, it probably indicates a bigger problem than the cigarette smoke.

Personally there are too many laws that seem to resolve little.

Does preventing smoking in the car prevent smoking at home? Oops, need another ineffective law.
Norm I hope your arguments aren't what they appear to be. You're NOT really in favor of smoking in a small space with children present are you?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #24

Registry
Many laws are made with idea that they call attention to a situation. Compliance is often dependent on the individual. Seat belt laws are difficult to enforce, driving and using a cell phone laws are difficult to enforce. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the books and the violator shouldn't be punished for violating the law.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.
True,you really don't have to worry about it, but we must all be cautious about which law is truly necessary.(of course, some are)
When one man's liberty is diminished, all suffer the loss.

e.g...
I have never smoked,and I have been a teetotaller from birth,and would advise abstinence in both areas due to the obvious detrimental consequences, both private and civic.

Alcohol was instrumental in the destruction of my childhood family and tobacco killed my father.
Still... I am reluctant to advocate prohibition, as beguiling as it's Siren's song may be...
Liberty is just too precious for cavalier treatment.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
True,you really don't have to worry about it, but we must all be cautious about which law is truly necessary.(of course, some are)
When one man's liberty is diminished, all suffer the loss.

e.g...
I have never smoked,and I have been a teetotaller from birth,and would advise abstinence in both areas due to the obvious detrimental consequences, both private and civic.

Alcohol was instrumental in the destruction of my childhood family and tobacco killed my father.
Still... I am reluctant to advocate prohibition, as beguiling as it's Siren's song may be...
Liberty is just too precious for cavalier treatment.
Sometimes laws are made to protect the rest of us. No smoking laws are made to protect you and me from inhaling second hand smoke. Anti-smoking while in a car with a small child are made to reduce the amount of second hand smoke the child is subject too. There's big difference between a 144 cubic (about) feet of space in an automobile and an 8,000 cubic foot home. The concentration of carcinogens is much less in the house than house than is car.

Also the anti-smoking laws help reduce the number of cigarette butts laying around that can and often do harm wildlife.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think it's reasonable to have laws to prevent adults from slowly poisoning children.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Sometimes laws are made to protect the rest of us. No smoking laws are made to protect you and me from inhaling second hand smoke. Anti-smoking while in a car with a small child are made to reduce the amount of second hand smoke the child is subject too. There's big difference between a 144 cubic (about) feet of space in an automobile and an 8,000 cubic foot home. The concentration of carcinogens is much less in the house than house than is car.

Also the anti-smoking laws help reduce the number of cigarette butts laying around that can and often do harm wildlife.
True, sometimes they are...
So then,caution is ill-advised?
Whose Ox deserves it? (caution that is)
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
True, sometimes they are...
So then,caution is ill-advised?
Whose Ox deserves it (caution that is)
What does that mean?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was wondering the same thing.
We elect representatives, they recommend laws, everybody with an interest lobbies pro and con and a law is put forward, amended, passed.
So, where are we supposed to exercise caution?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Sometimes laws are made to protect the rest of us.
I agree. I also suspect that many of the laws are made in an attempt to bring a higher level of public awareness to a problem/issue in order to get people to change their practices. Pretty sure when such laws are passed that most bureaucrats are well aware there isn't the man power to fully enforce many/most of the laws they pass or the ones already in place.

Sad truth is that you can do all sorts of advertising in various medias to bring attention to an issue/problem in an attempt to get people to change their ways but few pay attention or change their habits unless there is a consequence. It would seem that the threat of hitting people in their pocket book with a fine has proven over time to be the most highly effective means at getting peoples attention & to change their behaviour. Doesnt work for all but for the majority it sure seems to.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was wondering the same thing.
We elect representatives, they recommend laws, everybody with an interest lobbies pro and con and a law is put forward, amended, passed.
So, where are we supposed to exercise caution?
"All of the above " might be an appropriate reply.
We should be responsible for government and not just to it.
If we won't be citizens , we will be subjects.
So...whose ox deserves it? (Goring that is!... with or without an umlaut)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #33

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I heard that doctors are starting to think that smoking's not all that good for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My son has a sideline of selling framed ads out of old magazines on eBay. Some of the quickest selling are those from the 50's that included "Dr. Someone", white coat and all, advertising for which cigarette brand was the best one for your "T" zone etc.

Gotta say that there is some sense in having to tell some parents that it's not really their choice to endanger their children's health with 2nd hand smoke.

At 15, when I started my first job working in a service station, I had the task of cleaning the inside windows on all that days lube jobs. That disgusting, smelly, coating on the inside front window was enough to get anyone to never start smoking. BTW: By that time I had already quit, but that's another story.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #35

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Funny how so many people let the Government run their lives. Isn't the Government too big now? Be careful what you wish for people. I for one don't want the Government telling me what I can do or not do!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Oops

I meant for this to be a discussion on the existence of laws, not their advisability. We don't want to wander into political discussions here. There are plenty of other blogs where that can be done.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
While there can be some debate about laws that are foolish, silly or reasonable it is not debatable that different places have different laws and enforce them differently.

I did some looking and most of what I found with google was either firearm related (hunters travel) or residency related. Some states can be very unaccepting of not having a legal residence if you full time in your RV. Irony is have a $20,0000 RV behind a $30,000 TV and being given a ticket for vagrancy.

In the past I would try to check on some things in advance, fishing, alcohol, traffic laws. Maybe firearms/hunting laws.

I added cigarettes because prices can have as much as $5 in taxes in some parts of the country, better to bring than to buy in some states, better to stock up in others.

More and more though it seems that there are really wide differences between different parts of the country. Both in what the law is and how it will be enforced. Would hate to have a vehicle confiscated because I was a bootlegger by virtue of having too much booze in the camper. Busted because I was having a cold beer by the campfire in violation of some county law.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #38

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
$10.00 a pack in Vancouver, BC.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Funny how so many people let the Government run their lives. Isn't the Government too big now? Be careful what you wish for people. I for one don't want the Government telling me what I can do or not do!
At every point in life someone or something will be telling you what to do or how to behave. It's your choice whether you listen and act on their requests or demands
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I meant for this to be a discussion on the existence of laws, not their advisability. We don't want to wander into political discussions here. There are plenty of other blogs where that can be done.
Suffice it then to conclude that everything is either taxed or against the law?
I was once charged with updating our village ordinance books...
I found out that it was against the law to bathe during daylight hours.
Closed Thread