'Sno surprise - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Idaho
'Sno surprise

On my way to a Greenland kayak workshop on Orcas Island (Puget Sound) I decided to "free camp" on Snowqualamie Pass in the Cascade Mt. range. It was raining when I stopped, but had 3" of new snow by morning. I was very glad I was towing with my 4Runner and had the axle raised this last summer.

Since it was a heavy snow quite a few Cottonwoods fell across the road! They were too big to drive over, so I had to use my new dainty Japanese saw to cut my way out.

This is how it looked when I headed out in the morning.

So now on my list...carry bow saw...install heater.

PilotPica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Hi Kathy. It looks to me like you had a great adventure.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
quess I shouldn't complain about our flurries yesterday
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPica View Post
So now on my list...carry bow saw...install heater.
Great adventure!
Both of those are great ideas. Cooking breakfast always warms up our Scamp nicely, but be careful using the stove as a heater. I have a bow saw and to be able to store it without scratching myself and other things, I release the tension, slip a plastic pipe (either plumbing, or electrical conduit) over the blade and tension it again. And, a hatchet and an axe come along as well.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Idaho
It was great fun beginning to end!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #6

Idaho
Any other "ultra" boon docking suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
wow

I am glad it was you not me. no equipment like you carry!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Very cool!
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is an option for emergencies and even general camp build a fire use, a hand operated chainsaw that stores in a pouch. Might think about adding it to your Christmas wish list for your, house, car or your travel trailer. There are lots of brands of these on the market, here is a link to one of them. A nice minimalist get you out of trouble option that is compact and lightweight to store.
https://www.rei.com/product/775079/u...s-sabercut-saw

I like folding bow saws and also folding pruning saws, the blade is enclosed by the frame when it is closed. Much more compact to store in a small space than the traditional bow saw with one piece frame. But do read reviews on the various models as some are stronger and have easier to grip handles than others.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
'Sno surprise

I guess you need to be ready for the elements at all times! It rained here in California for an half hour and got down to 60 degrees! LOL, just kidding Kathy! I'm glad you got out OK!
All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Hope you are enjoying Orcas. Interested in where you are camped up there and how much the ferry cost for your combination. We are just south of there on Whidbey and would like to spend some time up there.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Idaho
The workshop was held at a place called Mt. Baker Farm. It has recently changed hands and the new owners have done a fantastic job of renovating and creating a campground. They are super nice and bend over backward to make sure everything is great!
There is a small railroad and museum also. i didnt actually stay in the campground. They let me park next to the barn and plug in so I could have heat!!
With my 4Runner and 13" Scamp I came in under the 30" lenghth so my round trip from Anacortes was about $62. The fares are on the Washington Ferries site.They recommend your make a reservation, especially for an oversize vehicle. Hope that is informative
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPica View Post
The workshop was held at a place called Mt. Baker Farm. It has recently changed hands and the new owners have done a fantastic job of renovating and creating a campground. They are super nice and bend over backward to make sure everything is great!
There is a small railroad and museum also. i didnt actually stay in the campground. They let me park next to the barn and plug in so I could have heat!!
With my 4Runner and 13" Scamp I came in under the 30" lenghth so my round trip from Anacortes was about $62. The fares are on the Washington Ferries site.They recommend your make a reservation, especially for an oversize vehicle. Hope that is informative
Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm glad you're under 30 feet. Our combination is 32 feet because the Campster had the tongue extended making it 15 feet. Sometime we get the lower rate but usually not. They are really picky up there. As I recall, that rate is round trip.

Enjoy the kayaking too. We've covered a few miles in our canoe and kayaks.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #14

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Your post has me intrigued. First sounds like you are travelling alone, kudos to you for being adventurous and boondocking by yourself. Actually peeked at your profile and see you list occupation as "fire lookout". Imagine you have done your share of boondocking in off the beaten path places.
I find it so interesting because I am planning to retire in a couple years, and plan to have my fiberglass RV with boondocking capabilities, and my first adventure will be the Pacific Northwest, which I have never see, and 2-3 months thru CO, WY, MT, ID, and then the HWY 101.
Reading your post made me think of how important it will be to have something as simple as a saw in a survival kit.
Sounds like you are an adventurous gal, and new to the site. I would be interested in reading about your adventures.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

Idaho
Missouri Mike-
That sounds like a great trip! I would have a hard time waiting a couple years to do it. But to have it well planned should make it more fun. There always seems to be the 'learn as you go' factor, but this site sure helps!
I love my little Scamp because i can take it just about anywhere. Before Orcas Is. I was able to park it at a trailhead. I can turn it around on a dirt road and still be snug with dinner on the stove at night.
will try to remember to post "adventures"-I expect to be learning a lot by *experience*