Snow and Ice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #15

Name: Jay
Trailer: 2009 16' Scamp
Texas
We live in Texas, spend summers traveling the mountains and points north, where it's cooler. Winters we travel the south, our little Scamp has traveled where ever our fancy takes us. The home in Texas is to hold the stuff we can't stand to part with.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
My problem is this....our home is a 200+ year old federal period colonial house that has been completely remodeled (over a 15 year period). I am reluctant to leave it unattended for extended periods in the winter. If the heating system should fail then the water pipes will freeze and destroy the house. My son lives in South Carolina and my daughter lives over an hour away. I have explored the idea of having the local heating oil company monitor the house with electronic alarms to detect heating system failures. This could work however if we have a power failure the system is useless. This area also has many telephone service failures. The monitoring system uses both electric and telephone. I would not be comfortable leaving the house for long periods in the winter.

This sounds like the very reason I have no dog, cat, etc., I don't wish to be tied to it should I decide to ramble off somewhere. I believe I'd downsize to a more manageable home were I you. In fact, perhaps I should do so as well.

I live in Florida and simply love it during the three seasons of spring, winter, fall. In summer I wander off to other places.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
For a different 'view' - We love the winter in our snug home in the lakes and forest region of central Ontario, with the nearest neighbour a mile away. We share it with deer, moose, bear, fox, squirrels, coons, and a plethora of winter birds, including a resident flock of wild turkeys. But, we do have oil heat, electric baseboards, with a 16kw propane generator for back-up, as well as alternate propane heat and a large stone fireplace, with our 35 acre forest for firewood. Winter is quiet and peaceful, with a heated wood-working shop, and an indoor railroad layout. Our RVing is from April to October, from Pacific to Atlantic, Yukon to Gulf coast, and includes 'geocaching' in 49 US states and nine provinces. Couldn't be happier !
Old 12-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We had a cabin in the mountains, just drain the the HWH and put a little anti-freeze in toilet and p traps. You probably have a basement in the old house, which makes things easier. Shut off at electric box water pumps and other large draws of power and leave a small lights on at the box so you can find your way in should it be dark. Carl
Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
just drain the the HWH and put a little anti-freeze in toilet and p traps.
You might want to turn on the 'heat-line' you wrapped around your buried water line from the well to your home. And, be careful about what 'anti-freeze' you use, as some are not congenital with the future operation of your septic system. Automotive antifreeze is a no-no !
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
hot water baseboard heat systems can be filled with a antifreeze solution but still require water pressure to them. A check valve or back flow preventer valve is then required. I think it is now required to have that check valve whether the system has antifreeze or not in new installations.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
hot water baseboard heat systems can be filled with a antifreeze solution but still require water pressure to them. A check valve or back flow preventer valve is then required. I think it is now required to have that check valve whether the system has antifreeze or not in new installations.
A backdoor prevented is required in the fresh water boiler fill line to prevent siphoning of the boiler water back into the potable water system .In many jurisdictions a check valve is not approved for this purpose . Boiler antifreeze is expensive and does not have the same heat transfer rate as plain water. If one shuts off the domestic water supply and drains the system ,the pressure in the boiler is higher than the domestic water system which could cause the potable water system to be contaminated . We have a well and the underground water
supply piping is buried 8 to 10 ft below ground level to prevent freezeup . We built a small underground room around the area (6 ft underground) where the water piping from the well enters the house ,super insulated the room and installed 2 electric baseboard heaters on separate circuits plus self regulating heat tape on the piping. We lost power for over 48 hours at 20 below deg F and had no freezeups of our domestic water supply . Septic systems will often freeze if they sit idle for extended periods of time or if the drain field does not have snow cover . Covering the septic system with a thick covering of straw usually helps. When we head South in the winter ,we give a set of keys to the neighbor ,who stops by and checks on our house .
Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Good Life

We both feel we have had a great life. Some of it was good fortune and some taking advantage of opportunity. At 16 I met Ginny by chance and waited/worked for 3 years to get a date.

We knew nothing of RVing until we happened upon Bahai Honda State Park and instantly recognized we should quit our jobs and travel; less than a year later we were on the road and have been for 14 years.

As to places to live, an RV makes anything possible as to choosing a place to live. People now ask us where we would live after traveling for 14 years. I respond in our RV. In reality we could easily live in at least a 1000 communities. There are so many wonderful places and nice people. We tend to pick quieter places. Though FL just passed NY in population, there are plenty of rural parts, not unlike NY state.

If I had to pick a fixed location, discounting weather and politics, it would be Newfoundland in Canada and coastal Oregon in the USA. In reality every state and province has marvelous locations.

Ginny is a roots person, truly into family but we love the road and all it's mystery.

In closing there are few warm winter locations in the USA, FL, parts of AZ and southern CA (we just find CA crazy on many levels).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote