Snow in August - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Snow in August

At the Birthday party today I was asked what the prospect was for a bad winter. I responded that the Farmer's Almanac was predicting a bad winter and I was as well.

The Sunspot count is low. Arctic Ice minimums have increased for the last 3 years, multiyear Arctic ice has increased, Antarctic Ice has been at record highs, the North Atlantic has been cold, this and last summer it's been cold in New England and finally the Southern hemisphere, particularly South America has had a cold winter this year. I'm predicting another bad winter for the east and particularly New England.

I got home to read it snowed in Calgary in August.

Calgary is stunned by SNOWFALL in the middle of summer | Daily Mail Online

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Surprised that Jim B has not yet replied yet Norm. Maybe he's snowed in!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
I just spent two weeks in Gros Morne and on the northern peninsula. There is still snow in the mountains in Gros Morne and up the coast.
And, the whale bones are coming ashore from the whales we lost in 2013-14.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

Name: Hugh
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Calgary weather

Yes it was snowing in Calgary on Friday at the higher elevations of the city for a couple of hours. And today sunny and 25C.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Calgary had snow beginning of September last year and we got caught in that system outside of Labrador City, when it moved east. Another sign of global warming, right, Al?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #6

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I predict that it will get cold enough in North Dakota to freeze all the lakes with ice so thick I will be able to drive on them when I go ice fishing...Again! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Snow in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I predict that it will get cold enough in North Dakota to freeze all the lakes with ice so thick I will be able to drive on them when I go ice fishing...Again! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app

And I predict I won't be anywhere near North Dakota when that happens Gene. A few years ago I did some tech work in Grand Forks - in March. First day driving to the job site, the dashboard in the rental car said the outside temperature was 44 below zero. Ungodly cold. Don't know how you do it.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
And I predict I won't be anywhere near North Dakota when that happens Gene. A few years ago I did some tech work in Grand Forks - in March. First day driving to the job site, the dashboard in the rental car said the outside temperature was 44 below zero. Ungodly cold. Don't know how you do it.

We've been to the southern USA and don't know how you do it ? I'll take 20 below any day over 100+ . Some of the leaves are starting to turn in our area. Predicted high today is 60 deg . My kind of weather !! Deer and ice fishing season will soon be upon us.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Snow in Calgary or other parts of Alberta in August is a bit unusual but not terribly so. About a dozen years ago, we drove through a prairie snowstorm on our way from Cypress Hills Provincial Park in southern Alberta to our home near Edmonton, AB; it was end of July. In the mountains, snow in August is quite common at higher elevations. My son (who works in Banff National Park) just sent me a picture of some of the local peaks all covered by the snow they got this week. It is possible to experience snow during every month of the year in Alberta (not that we want to, ).

Like others, I also suspect that this coming winter may be another severe one.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We've been to the southern USA and don't know how you do it ? I'll take 20 below any day over 100+ . Some of the leaves are starting to turn in our area. Predicted high today is 60 deg . My kind of weather !! Deer and ice fishing season will soon be upon us.

I hear you Steve, but yours is way more of an adaptation than mine. We get 4 months of hot followed by 8 months of "your kind of weather".

It's no accident that man doesn't come with a fur coat. :

Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
Vancouver Island
What I'd like to know is where is the snow line normally in the mid states in mid December (heading from Vancouver Island to Florida). I know higher elevations are always in snow (normally), so how is it along the interstates at that time of year??
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Peter,

WE drive south most years. The real answer is you never know. Last year it did not really snow in the east until January and then it came with a vengeance, basically a 100 inches in 30 days.

We've had years where we left NH in late October and were just ahead of the snow line, chasing us through to South Carolina, where we held up for a couple of days until it stopped. For us coming from Washington state our safest route has been the coastal route through WA, OR and CA then swinging diagonally west of San Francisco and cutting through the Southwest.

To us it's keep an eye on the sky. Hold up if necessary and proceed when safe. We tend to leave early, we never wait until after the holidays.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
What I'd like to know is where is the snow line normally in the mid states in mid December (heading from Vancouver Island to Florida). I know higher elevations are always in snow (normally), so how is it along the interstates at that time of year??
Heading south in winter the one spot you need to watch carefully in regards to road conditions is Grants Pass. Once over that you should be pretty well worry free.

Of course as you know snow does & can fall from time to time on the Washington and Oregon I5 as well, as it does on Vancouver Island.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Snow in Calgary or other parts of Alberta in August is a bit unusual but not terribly so. About a dozen years ago, we drove through a prairie snowstorm on our way from Cypress Hills Provincial Park in southern Alberta to our home near Edmonton, AB; it was end of July. In the mountains, snow in August is quite common at higher elevations. My son (who works in Banff National Park) just sent me a picture of some of the local peaks all covered by the snow they got this week. It is possible to experience snow during every month of the year in Alberta (not that we want to, ).

Like others, I also suspect that this coming winter may be another severe one.
Last winter there was actually very little snow in the Rocky's in particular Banff National Park. We were doing snow dances in late November as Lake Louise had so little snow we were worried we may have to cancel a World Cup ski race held each year there in early December. Thankfully Mother Nature came through at the very last minute but like it was in the rest of North West she gave up little of the fresh white stuff for the balance of the ski season forcing many ski resorts to either never open or open for only a very short time or with very limited skiable areas open.

I did two winter trips to the Rocky's this year and I could have done both with nothing more than summer tires on my truck as the roads were bare all the way and very little snow on the sides of the roads even going through Glacier park where normally one would expect to see snow banks 12' high or more. I recall there was no more than 1' of snow piled on the side of the road through Glacier both in December and again in February.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote