So how many miles have to traveled or plan to travel this camping season? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not fair! The only destination I know of where what happens doesn't get shared is Vegas! And I know you weren't glamping in Vegas! Spill........
Actually I did camp in Vegas last December but you need to add Whistler to the list of places that where what happens stays
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually I did camp in Vegas last December but you need to add Whistler to the list of places that where what happens stays

Not fair! Just sayin! Remember I started this post so I could live vicariously thru those of you who are out camping this year! Your not playing fair!

And I am thinking you are not one of the innocent parties here?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #23

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
How did you like Sebring? Are you going this year?
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
18,721.4 miles in 2011, and 16,255.4 in 2012. Will be less next year since I need to stay in the east...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Since July of 2011 we visited 33 states, 2 provinces and 3 fiberglass rallies, about 25,000 miles.

Nov 2012 thru July 2013 we'll cover 13-20 states, 3 provinces (including Newfoundland) and 2 fiberglass rallies, probably about 10,000 miles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Since we bought our Scamp 5er in the middle of Nov., in the middle of Washington State, we have traveled about 2,100 miles. We have camped in the trailer with a small heater, purchased at WalMart, down to 29F. Since I don't know when you mean by this season, we also have a number of shorter trips planned before Christmas, Feb. to Quartzside, and in March to a gathering in Congress, AZ. Right now we have rented a small house in Prescott, AZ., to spend some time close to my mother-in-law. the spring we will probably head east, then north. I expect to put about 6-8,000 miles on in 2013. We have lived in Scamp for about 2 weeks since we purchased it and even though both my wife and I are 6'1" we have enough plenty of head room and find the forward bed big enough for us as well as the dog when we sleep.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
trips

We made a trip of 1200 miles this spring (May) through Wisconsin ,Illinois and Iowa .We made a 2500 mile trip in September through Wisconsin , Michigan "our last", Canada and New York . Plus 4 or 5 short trips this summer (300 miles or less per trip) A total of 5 to 6 thousand miles this summer. There is 16 " of snow on the ground here so we're waiting for spring to start again
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #28

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I don't know how many miles we traveled but all of our camping is within a 5 to 6 hour drive from where we live. I am not retired so work limits me to 3 day weekends. That being said there is a lot to see within a 5 hour drive from where we live in southern tear of NY. Lots of history, world class sight seeing and camping, Niagara Falls, NY City, and even at least up until hurricane sandy hit a world class beach.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #29

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Bunches. Every ear I leave Vegas and head for Spokane 1150 mi. Sometimes we head over to Yellowstone on the way, add another 200 mi. While in Spokane I hit Priest Lake a few times, Lake Roosevelt a few times, my property at Ocean shores once or twice. The Olympic penninsula and head south along the Wa/Ore/Cali coast. I then head over to Tahoe and back down to Vegas. It's a much more affordable trip with my Scamp than with my old 4500 lb Aljo.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Wow - I feel like such a lightweight compared to some of you road warriors
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Don't worry, Anne, the fun is in the camping, not how far you drive
I haven't wandered more than 250 miles from home with my little camper. I just enjoy setting up, sitting back, and settling down to a nice restful weekend. I don't usually have a full week to go anywhere, so I camp closer to home.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #32

Trailer: Boler 1984
Possibly from Here in Ontario Canada, down through the Smoky Mts to visit relatives in Williamsburg Va and then up the Eastern Seaboard. Not sure yet how to miss New York. It seems to be on every route we check out. We visited Maine years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the area. This time the kids are grown and on their own.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Don't have the exact milage but we figure about 8000 miles including a round trip through Northern B.C., Yukon and Alaska. We also traveled to Glacer Park, 2 Boler events and many 3-4 day trips to the mountain parks. In total we spent 40 nights in our little Boler, we had an awesome time and are sure looking forward to this coming summer.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #34

Anne, I agree with Pam. It's not about the miles, it's about the fun you have doing it.

When I was a kid, there was a large lake that was within 15 min of home. We actually camped there a lot over the years for living so close to it. Get out and enjoy!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I don't keep track of total mileage either. For me it is not a real factor in this type of camping. The number of days spent out is a much better indicator for me. So much of my camping for a bunch of days sees me drive only 200 km or so. I tend to head out boondocking, and set up camp for the entire time.

Even on multi-week trips, I much prefer to limit my driving, and spend more time in one place.

I will never get to see everything, so I try to take in as much of what I do see as possible, and get to know that area for what it has to offer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think the main issue is days camping as well. The longer one is away the more one falls in to the relaxing life of the lifestyle, more fully escaping the 'regular' world.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I will never get to see everything, so I try to take in as much of what I do see as possible, and get to know that area for what it has to offer.

So sad that people don't understand that!

When my Dh and I bought our Rv park, the first month we had it a guy called for a reservation for a 2 day stay. So when they pulled in they have a brand new 5th wheel that they had purchased a month before. They bought it and hit the road 3 days later to experience life as fulltimers. In the month they had been on the road, I learned they had drove a bazillion miles and had not stayed anywhere longer than 3 days (and only because of a warranty work that needed to be done).

As he was checking in I learned they were headed to Calgery for the Stampede which was almost a month away but only a few hours drive from where our park was. So later that day he was in the game room on the computer and we got to talking. He told me his wife didn't like the fulltime lifestyle. I thought how sad, brand new rv, sold their home and belongings etc. But had an idea of why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the conversation went on, I realized just how much driving they really had been doing. Because when he was telling me their plans between Glacier National Park and the Stampede I knew they hadn't had time to enjoy a darn thing to this point.

I asked him if I could be honest with him, he said sure! I said, how the hell do you expect to enjoy the fulltiming lifestyle if your not living it? He said what do you mean? I was like, all you have done in a month is drive! Asphalt isn't enjoyable! It was a light bulb moment for him, so he added 5 days to their stay in hopes that his wife would begin to enjoy their new normal .

Well within the week, they got to know other guest, had done a bunch of fun things in Glacier and decided to stay the rest of the month with us instead of driving around till the Stampede. Though Dh and I sold our park in 05 we still stay in touch with them through email, holiday cards etc. They are still on the road loving every minute! It just took them a month to figure out how to slow down and enjoy.................
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Smile

Quote:
So sad that people don't understand that!

When my Dh and I bought our Rv park, the first month we had it a guy called for a reservation for a 2 day stay. So when they pulled in they have a brand new 5th wheel that they had purchased a month before. They bought it and hit the road 3 days later to experience life as fulltimers. In the month they had been on the road, I learned they had drove a bazillion miles and had not stayed anywhere longer than 3 days (and only because of a warranty work that needed to be done).

As he was checking in I learned they were headed to Calgery for the Stampede which was almost a month away but only a few hours drive from where our park was. So later that day he was in the game room on the computer and we got to talking. He told me his wife didn't like the fulltime lifestyle. I thought how sad, brand new rv, sold their home and belongings etc. But had an idea of why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the conversation went on, I realized just how much driving they really had been doing. Because when he was telling me their plans between Glacier National Park and the Stampede I knew they hadn't had time to enjoy a darn thing to this point.

I asked him if I could be honest with him, he said sure! I said, how the hell do you expect to enjoy the fulltiming lifestyle if your not living it? He said what do you mean? I was like, all you have done in a month is drive! Asphalt isn't enjoyable! It was a light bulb moment for him, so he added 5 days to their stay in hopes that his wife would begin to enjoy their new normal .

Well within the week, they got to know other guest, had done a bunch of fun things in Glacier and decided to stay the rest of the month with us instead of driving around till the Stampede. Though Dh and I sold our park in 05 we still stay in touch with them through email, holiday cards etc. They are still on the road loving every minute! It just took them a month to figure out how to slow down and enjoy.................
Wonderful story
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #39

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I do keep a spreadsheet on all my trips. It's good reference for a multitude of reasons.

Last week was My Little Marshmallow's 12 birthday and this 12 year was the first one where we did not going camping at all. I did not even sleep in it in the driveway. I did take it a mile or two and back a couple of times, simply to turn the wheels and put it in a slightly different spot.

I averaged the mileage put on over the 11 years and it comes out to 8,000+ miles per year.

Don't know if we'll put that many on but are planning several campouts this coming year.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
....... figure out how to slow down and enjoy.................
I think many have been guilty of having to figure that out, even myself at one time. I used to try to squeeze too much in on trips, and never really felt rested after a holiday.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote