So how many miles have to traveled or plan to travel this camping season? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
So how many miles have to traveled or plan to travel this camping season?

So just wondering how many miles you have traveled or plan to travel this year/camping season with your trailer. Any big trips? Or do you stay close to home in your camping adventures. Thanks!

Just living vicariously thru all over your adventures due to Dh's health issues I don't get to travel as much this summer.

In past summers 3 to 6 months of camping I have put anywhere between 8 and 10 thousand miles on the trailer and that is with Dh's health issues, even more when he was well enough to travel. Miss it, but again someday.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Traveled so far - about 800 total. (to the NOG & back, plus one run to Seattle & back) For the rest of the year: - maybe another 200 or so. (one more Seattle area and back run - 2 more nights in it)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #3

Dang Dave I can't live vicariously through your travels , even I will do about that much this camping season. Perhaps a little more if I get more respite breaks. But thanks for posting your totals......
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Starting January 9, 2012 we left for a 3 month 9500 mile trip.
Since then 250 miles one way 3 night trip to a carving event
300 miles one way to visit Oregon Caves, 4 nights.

Leaving soon for a 2 week trip, guessing about 500 miles round trip.
That's as far as we've planned. Probably are trip in August and maybe September.
Northern Oregon Gathering in October 3 nights, about 50 miles one way. Depends on the weather we might got a bit farther and few more nights after the NOG.
Then January off to sunny south west again.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
we did go to backus minn. to pick our scamp up,,,but normaly, since we are lucky enough to live in michigan,,,we don't have to drive very far to see and do amaising things. i did 1 800 mile round trip,, but most of our stuff is withing 2 or 3 hours of home so far
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Last year it was well over 11,000 miles - would have to get the log book out to figure it out but probable including a large number of short 200/300 mile trips the total was closer to 15,000 miles for 2011. LOL it may have been way more.

Since April 1 this year I have only done 5 trips of about 1500 miles total and I dont have any epic ones planned so far although I have been to Oregon once already. Have another US coast trip planned, as well as some Vancouver Island time and a few shorter trips for this year, so will probable only end up in the 5 to 6000 miles total this year. That could change though, its the great thing of having a trailer, you can leave on a moments notice. :-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Well Robin, I did 4700 miles while picking up our Scamp to include the North Shore of Lake Superior where we hiked to all the waterfalls in their 8 State Parks, toured the oldest lighthouse on the lake and visited a replica Fur Trading Outpost. Also did the Mississippi Headwaters at Itasca SP in MN, the Largest still operating Open Pit Ore Mine in Hibbing, MN, Paul Bunyan and Babe his Ox in Bimidji, the Smoky Mountains where we visited Forbidden Caverns under the mountains and various other "touristy" stuff. Suppose to have temps in the upper 90's with Real Feel of over 100 so will stay put till the weather cools down. Will camp the entire week of T'giving and over Christmas break and I'm sure some other shorter 3 day weekends before that. If you want to see LOTS of pix here is the link:

Collection: Summer Vacation 2012
Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
About 4000 miles this year (so far) on two trips, Sebring Fl. and Bemidji Mn. both originating here in Illannoy.
Our goal is to increase the time to distance ratios this year, and visit more places on the way to and from our destinations.
We love ScampCamps and fiberglass rallies, but we hope to also increase our regular tourism time as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I haven't traveled a single mile yet, and it's looking like I am not going to get to this year again as well. I really just chimed in to say I hope your hubby will be ok!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Carol H, seems like you have been on a lot of camping/glamping adventures this season. Though we didn't see any glamping pic's! I was looking forward to those.

Melissa, I think it's wonderful that you documented your adventure. Enjoyed peeking at all you guys did.

John M, Thank you! No he won't get better (EOAD) But something I learned years ago is, it is, what it is.
It's how we handle it that counts!

Well, it looks by your trailer status that you need to find one! Hope that happens for you real soon! I know it can be so crazy when your searching for your perfect trailer, but it can be fun as well. Hang in there! The right trailer will come along. Enjoy the journey! Even though you don't have one, I hope you can get out and enjoy the great outdoors!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
It's how we handle it that counts!

That is an understatement Robin! Enjoy each other as long as you can, that will always be better than camping.
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #12

British Columbia
Of course, if you are talking about "During the last year" as in during the past 12 months - we did some 12,000 miles - don't keep a logbook like Carol does so I have no firm numbers - but we hit 11 states. 8 US National parks 2 Canadian Provinces, 2 Canadian Nat parks, and uncounted provincial parks and state parks, staying nearly "always" at commercial campgrounds for the amenities they provide.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #13

Trailer: Aliner
I don't keep track of our camping mileage. We just go.

Since January of this year we have spent several weeks camping in Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi.

We will probably stay home in July and August while it's too hot to camp. We are planning to do the snowbird thing this winter and see how we handle weeks of traveling in Florida, the Gulf states, and Texas in the Casita.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
at least 20000 hope to do more than that, passport America ,state parks , corp of Eng , . if resort is in the name of the rv park it is usually in only price not amenities.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
I don't keep track of our camping mileage. We just go.

That's how I am about mpg, don't keep track! If there is someplace I wanna go, I go.....................

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
if resort is in the name of the rv park it is usually in only price not amenities.

I agree completely that "resort" is generally a term applied to "Over priced". It assumes that you will arrive and STAY there, to swim in their pool, sit on their lounge chairs, play golf at their course, etc.

That is just not going to be happening. We'd be as bored to death there as we usually are at State Parks, BLM, Corps of Engineers etc.

Just want a place that is close to whatever attractions we want to visit, and has sewer, water, 30A power, internet and a decent selection of restaurants located reasonably nearby.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
In 2012 about 3000 miles so far. Planning on Colorado in August unless the whole place has burned up. Easily another 1500 after that. Gotta spend the money so the kids don't get it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Planning on Colorado in August unless the whole place has burned up.

The way it's going, it just might happen! Geesh! Wish mother nature would throw a little rain our way........
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Carol H, seems like you have been on a lot of camping/glamping adventures this season. Though we didn't see any glamping pic's! I was looking forward to those.
Nope no National Glamping Week-end photos to share - protecting the innocent - but I promise it was fun.....

I actually dont keep a log of actual miles traveled or MPG either - except if it was a very notable day for mileage- ie went more than 400 miles in a day which I dont like to do to often. I keep in the log book where I went and with whom and makes notes of where I might or might not stay if I was to go back to the same area again. My car has a computer that keeps track of total miles and MPG for each trip so I have a pretty good idea what the totals where. I also note in the log any maintenance I did - such as new battery, tires or wheels repacked etc. time flies and it hard to remember sometimes when maintenance items where last addressed without keeping notes on it. With the log book I can come up with a rough mileage bases on where I went to determine if the bearings need repacking or how long the battery has been in use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #20

[QUOTE=Carol H;317927]Nope no National Glamping Week-end photos to share - protecting the innocent - but I promise it was fun.....

QUOTE]

Not fair! The only destination I know of where what happens doesn't get shared is Vegas! And I know you weren't glamping in Vegas! Spill........