So no more Casita 13ft 😔 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #15

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
A window A/C and a through the wall A/C are built differently because the installation is different . The window unit has venting on the sides and back . A through the wall unit vents through the back . A window unit is designed to have the majority of the unit extend beyond the window to the outside. A through the wall is designed for a majority of the unit to be enclosed. The cost of a through the wall unit is 3 to 4 times the cost of a window unit and costs approx the same as a roof top unit.
From a strictly mechanical cooling aspect , the roof top unit is the best choice . The assumption that a window unit is more efficient than a roof top unit based on published numbers only holds true if the window unit is installed according to the manufacturers installation instructions. Shoving a window unit into a confined space / closet and expecting it to cool properly / efficently is a false expectation.
We have a 11,000 btu through the wall A/C in our cabin because our wall are over 9" thick and it works well . It also cost close to
$ 1000.
I am a form following function person , so I don't care in the roof top A/C is visually pleasing to the eye or that it screws up the trailer's feng shui. All I want my A/C to do is cool the trailer to a comfortable level

Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
When we ordered our 2013 17SD, there was a line of 13s sitting in front of the factory. They looked like they had been there awhile. When we went back to pick it up they were still there. Must not have been much demand, though I see they had some nice features like 15 inch wheels/tires and the above mentioned AC. Probably not too hard to resume production if they want to,
All of the Casitas are manufactured as they are ordered. There aren't any on the lot for sale. Those were there to be picked up by the new owners.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
My first trailer was a Deluxe Patriot. It was well loved and the reason it was sold was the desire to take a grandchild on trips. But it seems they just were not selling anymore. I've had several friends ask me to keep an eye open for used Patriots. I even managed to find one for a friend a couple of years ago, but they don't come up often.
I guess this will improve the saleability of used Patriots and maybe drive up the price, but only a little. Meantime it's bound to benefit Scamp some.
I wonder if eventually the 16' Casita will suffer the same fate. They don't sell a lot of them either. That would really be a blow to those who don't want a large tow vehicle.

Walt
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
There are currently 2 Patriots for sale on the Fiberglass4sale site. A 2010 deluxe and a 1998 standard.
Casita Fiberglass Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Dunavant View Post
All of the Casitas are manufactured as they are ordered. There aren't any on the lot for sale. Those were there to be picked up by the new owners.
When we picked up our Casita in June of 2013 there were several trailers sitting on the lot that were available for immediate purchase
They were customer orders that were cancelled during or after the build stage . We ran into the same scenario at Scamp . They had several 16 ft Scamp Deluxe trailers for sale because customers had cancelled there order or failed to pick up their trailers .
Escape has also advertised trailers for sale because of similar issues.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #20

Name: Abraham
Trailer: in the market
Texas
The ones close to me have been sold. The others are too far from me.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicham View Post
I have always said... Its a travel trailer, if you don't like to travel, you don't really need a trailer!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #22

Texas
I understand but I am not going to travel half of the U.S just to find out the camper I wanted was undersold, nor do I want to take the risk of traveling so far just so its not what was advertised. Its happened to me before, thats why Ive been looking for something local. I don't mind waiting some more for the right one.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I understand but I am not going to travel half of the U.S just to find out the camper I wanted was undersold, nor do I want to take the risk of traveling so far just so its not what was advertised. Its happened to me before, thats why Ive been looking for something local. I don't mind waiting some more for the right one.
In order to find something locally, if you're not picky about brand, you need to join ALL the all-molded towable forums. Not ALL trailers that are put up for sale are posted across all the forums. Fiberglass-rv-4sale does a pretty good job of scooping for sale ads. But often by time those are posted, the trailer is already sold or has a buyer in the wings.

You snooze, you lose.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #24

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I guess only you can define "Close " & "Far "
It is about 1100 miles from Texas to Scamp in Backus Mn
It is approx 2250 miles from Texas to Escape in Chilliwack BC
We traveled from Northern Wisconsin to Rice Texas to pickup our Casita , a trip of approx 1100 miles
We drove 600 miles to view an Escape 21 and over 200 miles to view a Casita . To us the search was half the fun
I think Floyd stated it perfectly , "It's a travel trailer ".
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In order to find something locally, if you're not picky about brand, you need to join ALL the all-molded towable forums. Not ALL trailers that are put up for sale are posted across all the forums. Fiberglass-rv-4sale does a pretty good job of scooping for sale ads. But often by time those are posted, the trailer is already sold or has a buyer in the wings.

You snooze, you lose.
You are correct, I've tried different sites. Ive been looking daily.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
One thing that sometimes helps when you see one advertised you think might have your name on it is to ask if someone on the forums who lives nearby can take a look at it for you. That also verifies it's a bona fide ad and not a scam.

Oh yes, and I've seen Casitas advertised that were not posted on either Casita forum, another reason to check all forums, and also Craig's List. I sold my Patriot on CL overnight, before I even had time to post it on any forums.

Walt
Old 01-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #27

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
One thing that sometimes helps when you see one advertised you think might have your name on it is to ask if someone on the forums who lives nearby can take a look at it for you. That also verifies it's a bona fide ad and not a scam.

Oh yes, and I've seen Casitas advertised that were not posted on either Casita forum, another reason to check all forums, and also Craig's List. I sold my Patriot on CL overnight, before I even had time to post it on any forums.

Walt

Very good information Walt. Too many scams out there nowadays.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have always said... Its a travel trailer, if you don't like to travel, you don't really need a trailer!
I know you meant that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but for some a "travel" trailer is an ersatz mountain cabin, lake cottage, or beach bungalow- kept for shorter trips nearer home. Owning a trailer does not necessarily mean you desire to wander the continent. I believe you yourself recently poo-poo'd the new National Parks Senior Pass in part because most of them are in the West. Too far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...I would not bother to buy one at the new rate for a couple of reasons.
I live east of the Mississippi where there are only ten parks compared to 49 west of it…
We can seldom afford the time or expense of an RV trip to the far West, where the vast majority of National Parks reside, so it would take many years to financially justify the purchase of the Pass….
In addition, for folks who are still working, jumping on a 1000 mile round trip on a few hours' notice to inspect a used trailer that may or not be as represented is just not practical. I've been in that position. Before I purchased our Scamp several small pop-ups sold before I could get to them, and they were only a few hours away. It all worked out splendidly in the end because the Scamp eventually appeared right in my backyard, and it turned out to be exactly what we needed.

Establish your needs, set your boundaries (price, condition, distance), be somewhat flexible, be very patient. And be realistic… if you want a 5 year old or newer Casita Patriot Deluxe for under $5K and within 50 miles of home, you'd better be very patient, indeed! As the search prolongs, you may have to refine your expectations, and that's okay.

Tags
casita