Software for RVers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Software for RVers

Hi,

In addition to being a fiberglass RV enthusiast, I dabble in technology.

I am currently studying new programming skills and was wondering if there is an application of some sort that would be extremely useful to RVers?

I imagine there are already a bunch of "campground finder" type sites/apps but wondering what else may be useful.

As part of my learning I would like to build something beneficial to others.

Kindly let me know if you have any ideas & if it would be more useful as a website or smart phone app.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
software

Hi,

While RVPARKY and AllStays have "where to park/camp" for the night etc. it seems none include "Rest Stops" along a chosen route from point A to Point B. Copilots and dogs may need more "rest stops" that a suborn TV driver who just wants to "GET THERE" full stop as the Brits say.

AAA after many many years provides of trip planning now includes a "Bubble/circle polygon" on their maps for every X-hours of travel to plan driving distances and allows one to plan where to camp/stop for the night. This does not include rest stop on the Interstate system. DW/copilot has just found an app that provides rest stop info based on ones current location.

Might be nice to have this with an RV travel app for routing that is interactive and actively tracks ones progress from RV stop 1 to RV stop 2 once a route is selected. In some states rest stops also have dump stations and that would be great to have integrated.

May take quite a bit of flow charting to define the process before coding.
Having taken a systems design class eons ago and worked on programming for statistics for research I understand the coding of an app may not be straight forward. I am clueless on what it takes to have apps on Google Play (Android based) and/or what ever I-phone OS devices might use.

Good luck with your endeavor. For sure the time spent would keep you off the streets at night LOL.
Cheer,

Bat Dude
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website MapFor non-commercial camp grounds I use

As far as rest areas there's tons of information on the internet. Here's just one https://www.interstaterestareas.com/rest-areas/

Having traveled for about 14 years now I have never had any trouble finding a place to park and sleep for a night. Also with my Golden Age Passport, the maximum I've paid per night is $10.00 Over full 14 years average is less than $7.50 per night.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The thing about all these “locator” apps, such as campground and rest stop area finders, is that they are only as good as the underlying data. The database must be large, accurate and up to date for the app or web site to succeed. That usually means collaboration with data supplying partners. Apps that don’t rely on a lot of data have mostly already been done. Its quite the challenge to come up with a new idea in the field.

Assuming you dont want to compete with the likes of AllStays or RVParky, then I would look at what problems RV owners need solved that don’t require access to a large database (unless its public). Even though I am a prolific reader of this forum, nothing stands out as a universal problem to me. Perhaps someone else can think of something. One thing that does come up from time to time is the worry about the camper being stolen. Some people use existing apps to locate a cell phone secreted in their camper if it gets taken. Perhaps an app specifically for this might be of interest. Of course it would take a sending device and a receiving device so its not so good for solo travelers worrying about the camper being gone when they return from a hike.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Why don't you check into apps for helping to level RVs. The kind of thing where you set the smart phone down in the middle of the trailer and it tells you how many inches distance you need to adjust a stack of blocks under a wheel or raise the tongue or rear stabilizer jacks.

I know there are a few of those apps around for large motorhomes but I don't know if there are any suitable for travel trailers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Kinda like this?
Has multiple levels.
Attached Thumbnails
Level App.jpg  
Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Kinda like this?
Has multiple levels.
That might be one componenent of the app. But it takes into account things like the distance between the wheels and the distance between forward and aft stabilizer jacks. and then calculates in inches or centimeters which one or ones need to move up or down to level the trailer.

With such an app doing the math based on information you input about your trailer if you had a stack of leveling blocks or a given thickness you would know how many of those blocks to put under which tire or how many turns you might need to make on a particular screw jack. Of course you have to set your phone or tablet on a particular spot on the floor to get consistent results. Most likely that position would be dead center over the axle.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Kinda like this?
Has multiple levels.
Not quite.. something like it but with additional feature(s), like maybe the idea that KC has (above), or audio feedback..
Steady low tone = rear low
Steady high tone = front low
Pulsed low tone = starboard low
Pulsed high tone = port low
(Alternating)

Or better yet, voice feedback... "raise front more, raise front a little, stop."

That way the device could be placed where level matches the fridge level even if out of sight while you are getting level. Often the best way is to improve the wheel and not reinvent it.

But I gave up using my phone for routine leveling.. the back is not flat and it fell in the mud when on the tongue.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Name: corvetteguy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Propane tank filling

Not a biggy but I looked all over the play store for app that would show propane filling stations along my route. I can't imagine where you would get the data for this.
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhall View Post
Not a biggy but I looked all over the play store for app that would show propane filling stations along my route. I can't imagine where you would get the data for this.

That's something I've never had to worry about. I have been able to find propane in several places, many gas stations have propane. I use so little that I don't worry about prices. I'm about to head out and I won't have to get any propane for a couple weeks of camping. And I only have a single 20 lb cylinder.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:

Just Google.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
There is such an app. Where did the data come from? The supreme being of data collection...the federal government, they are the ones who created this app. Not a clue if it is any good or reliable or if it is kept up to date.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alte...718577947?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cator&hl=en_US

Don't forget, a lot of country stores...the farmer's coops also feed/farm and tractor type of supply stores often do fill propane tanks. That is one of the more reliable sources for it when on highways with just small towns strung along it. Of course they do not keep late hours but they do tend to open early.

There is also a world map website but again I don't know how accurate it is.
https://lpgstations.com/

At the bottom of this Uhaul website page there is a finder for locating stations with propane. https://www.uhaul.com/Propane/?utm_c...herecanirefill

It could be part of gas buddy or that type of fueling station app ...if enough people started asking for that feature. Figure out the email address to write to for getting new features added and start a letter writing campaign in the RV forums.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:43 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
as far as remote leveling goes, "Remote Level" is pretty cool. you can link two cell/tablet/etc devices via bluetooth, then leave one flat on a level surface in the RV, and the other will show you the level...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rt.remotelevel
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
How about places that SPECIALIZE in RV repairs? I imagine a lot of places WILL do it, but how many specifically do it?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
How about places that SPECIALIZE in RV repairs? I imagine a lot of places WILL do it, but how many specifically do it?

Mon

All that is available by typing in 'RV repairs near (wherever you are )".
Old 01-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
How about a way ( unless others have an app) to determine road / weather conditions.... you can find conditions at starting points and destinations but something for in between
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I think an app that tracked how rough the roads are, using the accelerometers in the phone would be great. I have taken some shortcuts that looked fine at the start but 5 miles in got rougher than I wanted. Best if you could aggregate the data from everyone’s phone the way Google does for traffic.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
as far as remote leveling goes, "Remote Level" is pretty cool. you can link two cell/tablet/etc devices via bluetooth, then leave one flat on a level surface in the RV, and the other will show you the level...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rt.remotelevel
Interesting and I do have two Android tablets
The app does not have a lot of reviews but the ones it does have are good.

Now if only my floor was flat and level
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

Registry
Sense of Adventure Maybe.

Maybe the answer is simply a sense of adventure.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #20

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
How about a troubleshooting app for Electrical and Propane?

With step by step problem solving. Perfect for if/then programming.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote