Solar - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Solar

Have ruled out getting a generator due to cost. $1100 plus whatever a propane conversion would cost. I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost. I wonder about solar sufficient to charge my battery. No idea of size needed or cost. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Do a search and you'll find solar is a subject covered to utter exhaustion on this form.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Do a search and you'll find solar is a subject covered to utter exhaustion on this form.
And not only on this forum, but all over the net. The advice you get on the forum is likely to be very basic and incomplete due to the nature of the medium.

So here is my first suggested read:
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

And be sure to check out the other links at the top of the page.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If you are not running a DC fridge or using the furnace a lot, a 75W-100W panel probably would keep your battery topped up. I had good results with my 75W panel and Morningstar (SG-4, I think?) solar controller from Solarblvd.com. It cost me about $150 for everything. I kept it portable and plugged it into the trailer cord that otherwise goes to the vehicle (7 pin plug). But if you mount yours permanently, it can provide charge even while you're driving.

If you have a DC-only fridge, or if you typically run the furnace all night, you may need 200W or maybe more.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
With out really knowing your camping style or durations it's pretty hard to give meaningful advice.
If you're a weekend camper the chances are you wont need any recharging while camping at all or if only stay in one place for two days you still won't need solar or generator. Your tow vehicle should take care of it.
The best way to extend your battery power is reduce you battery needs. Change lights to LED is easiest and simplest way to increase battery charge life.

I've been doing this for over 10 years. The first couple of years camping was week-end and a week or two in the summer. Never had to worry about recharging. After retirement we camp for about 3 months at a time, last winter was 40 days in one spot, then I needed the solar.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
rgrugg camps for months at a time, like you, Byron.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar