Solar energy ~ When NOT to use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

I can see a tremendous potential for this product. If it can do as displayed in the video, think of the possibilities for charging your battery, the one on your trailer, not the ones in your camera or mp3 player, with a low potential quazi traditional generator style, only not using fossil fuels.

I see a dynamo type generator, not human powered, that slowly generates power back into your battery. I doubt if this could be adapted to actually *Run* any items with any kind of current demands.

However.. as much as this potential fascinates me... all I can see is a FOREST FIRE. I don't trust humans to be responsible, (except for our board members, of course) and accidents do happen, despite the best preventative measures one can take.

What do our scientists think of this? Is there a fool proof way to prevent the sun from hitting this item when not in use or in proper position? How does one keep it focused as the sun moves? Is there anyway to have it create "Bulk" heat that can be transfered to the shaft instead of having it directly focused on it?

This is both exciting and disheartening.. like the cure for cancer is plain old household bleach, but the cure also kills the patient. Sigh.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Focus as the sun moves is easy, just use one of the mounts that stargazers use to keep their telescopes and cameras pointed at a solar object.

BTW, for those who've never seen a Fresnel Lens, they have been around a long time. In a reverse of this application (focus sun's rays to a point) they are also used in reverse, using an oil lantern with a wick to make a lighthouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

I have one in my wallet to magnify stuf and in case I forget my reading glasses.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power