Solar Panels For My Home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
I know this is off the Fiber glass mode, but I have decided to add solar panels to our house. I am looking at a approx. 5000 Kw system. So I was wondering if any people in our group has any ideas about what to use and places to buy them.
Will post spec sheets if people show interest in this post.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I assume a typo, and that you are in fact looking at a 5Kw or 5000 watt system, as 5000 Kw (5 Mw) is enough to run a large factory. There seems to be a lot of people trying solar in this area, but mostly for cottages and summer houses, a severe lack of daylight and high snowfalls make solar a dicey proposition up here.

Good luck

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Washington State University has been involved in renewable energy projects for a long time. You might find some good advice there on local conditions and resources: http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/renewa...dersOct2009.pdf , and someone you can speak to as a consultant on staff.

You might also want to look for a local chapter of the USGBC (US Green Building Council), and visit solarwashington.org

Solar Washington posts a list of ongoing workshops and meetings. There is one listed for May 1 in Olympia titled something like "Five things you should know about adding Solar to your Home."
Are you planning to grid-tie your system?

I've noticed a lot more folks selling systems both locally and on the web, and exhibiting at the home shows. I feel that's both a good and bad thing: more competition usually means the prices drop some, but there are more chances for fly-by-nights, as well.

The federal tax credits don't expire until 2016, so I'd take my time to find someone relatively local, knowledgeable, and experienced as an installer. It's a big investment for a 5kw system, even after the tax credits, and there are a lot of options out there.

I'm particularly interested in the solar products integrated into roofing, and the new cylindrical pvs we saw at the Solar Decathlon in D.C. last year, which are rated for winds in excess of 100 mph, a factor for us here in the hurricane zones....
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
You've probably already investigated this site, but I'll post it anyway, as it's useful for anyone interested in renewable energy rebates and incentives:
http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.c...=1&state=WA

Dsireusa lists programs for all the states, showing possible incentives available to those who are thinking about adding renewable energy to their homes, or making their homes more energy efficient.

Another forum where you might want to look for advice, or just look around, is greenbuildingtalk.com
Here's a link to a discussion on solar payback, posted by someone in a different region:
http://greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/...ic/Default.aspx

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power