solar porch light - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
This whole thread has become absolutely stupid.
Yup, from total darkness to a welding ark light blast with chopping wood and a few drunks thrown in the mix. Maybe the answer is understanding the type of folks that might be "camping" at your choice of a CG.....reviews can be your friend .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #42

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It's been said a darkness emitting device if often needed (pellet gun)
I have definitely taken out an alleyway light with a pellet gun. It was "ok" in the summer, but when the only tree in my yard lost its leaves, that light lit up my whole yard.

I think many cities and towns will remove individual street lights if you get a neighborhood petition. But as you can probably guess, there will be people who aren't on board.

One interesting thing I saw on the dark skies website, including only using lights when necessary, was recommending things like porch and street lights to be dim, soft, and have a shaded top so that light is focused down, where it's needed, rather than up or out. Bob's porch light may fit that "dim, soft" criteria, even though they mean it for towns, not camping.

I also have very soft solar lights I sometimes set up around camp when I'm completely alone or in settings where people are hanging out, being social, and not expecting a wilderness experience. Just enough light to point out where the trailer tongue and my steps are, and from inside laying down, you can't tell they're on. And I'm guessing if Bobs light is no brighter than them, none of us would have any problem with it.

His kinda defensive, poke you in the eye attitude about it aside, we're probably being unfair. My comments came from past experiences with campers and porch lights, shining in my windows at night, ruining my night vision when I'm walking around. If Bob's is as dim as he claims, it's honestly probably nothing that would bother any of us.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #43

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If it makes you feel better I also am not a fan of smoky campfires , bon fires , chopping wood at 4:00 in the morning , loud music or radios anytime of the day , drunks , screaming children , barking dogs , beer can littered camp sites. etc , etc.
In the spirit of the season , Enjoy you solar light .
It's all about being conscientious and courteous, and though we all have our blind spots where we do things that annoy people and we don't realize it (and going through life trying super hard not to annoy anyone is a crappy way to live), some people are just worse than others.

Many of the people who do loud, annoying stuff don't really get annoyed, or even notice loud, annoying stuff other people are doing. So it's kind of hard to blame them...Where I love silence and dark, and get bothered easily by light and noise. So I'm very aware when I'm creating light or making noise and try my best not to bother people.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Some Oregon State campgrounds upgraded their electrical systems and installed new electrical post wiring boxes that have a built-in light with no off switch at each campsite. Having a blanket or tarp to cover the light doesn't help with the lights at the adjacent camp sites, tho.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #45

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
...where we go trouting we put up with smoke campfires all night and people tending them all hours. I for one do not or have ever understood this! ...

bob
The right way to smoke a fish is slow and low. Maybe the folks who up all hours tending the fire are making tomorrow's lunch. (Not that I am so ambitious, but I saw my older brother do this on one fishing trip.)

As for those folks who shoot lights out with pellet guns... shame, shame!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #46

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I took that as a joke. The majority of my friends have concealed carry licenses and wouldn't take kindly to being shot at. The return fire would be punishing.
Attached Thumbnails
incomingbaby_2.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #47

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Some Oregon State campgrounds upgraded their electrical systems and installed new electrical post wiring boxes that have a built-in light with no off switch at each campsite. Having a blanket or tarp to cover the light doesn't help with the lights at the adjacent camp sites, tho.
I've avoided Oregon State Parks for about 30 years now.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The right way to smoke a fish is slow and low. Maybe the folks who up all hours tending the fire are making tomorrow's lunch. (Not that I am so ambitious, but I saw my older brother do this on one fishing trip.)

How do you keep a fish lite when you're smoking it?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I've avoided Oregon State Parks for about 30 years now.
We've found that Oregon State Parks to be fairly priced with nice sites and clean restrooms .We have only been to Oregon once but God willing we will return . Extremely nice people and they pump your gas for you !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #50

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I took that as a joke. The majority of my friends have concealed carry licenses and wouldn't take kindly to being shot at. The return fire would be punishing.
Some of the nice thing about pellet guns is that you don't need a silencer and it's easy to conceal the muzzle flash.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We've found that Oregon State Parks to be fairly priced with nice sites and clean restrooms .We have only been to Oregon once but God willing we will return . Extremely nice people and they pump your gas for you !!
When you're used averaging less than $10 per night Oregon State Parks are very pricey and they're very crowded.

As people pumping your gas for you, you have no choice. State law requires that a "traiined" attendant pump your gas. You're not allowed to pump it yourself. You can try to pump it yourself but the fine is around $500.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #52

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
As for people pumping your gas for you, you have no choice. State law requires that a "trained" attendant pump your gas. You're not allowed to pump it yourself. You can try to pump it yourself but the fine is around $500.
Well, they had to justify the requirement somehow. Funny though that no special training seems to be required in the rest of the country - except maybe in New Jersey. [emoji23] There are other justifications of course, but the "jobs" one doesn't really hold water. Another canard: 'getting all that smelly gas on my hands or clothing'. I guess I'm doing it wrong because that's never happened to me.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here in BC the government is spending education money on teaching children "coding". Sounds like Oregon is encouraging them to pump gas.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here in BC the government is spending education money on teaching children "coding". Sounds like Oregon is encouraging them to pump gas.
Forward thinking, I say. Someone has to provide jobs other than selling drugs for the high school drop-outs!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #55

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
When you're used averaging less than $10 per night Oregon State Parks are very pricey and they're very crowded.

As people pumping your gas for you, you have no choice. State law requires that a "traiined" attendant pump your gas. You're not allowed to pump it yourself. You can try to pump it yourself but the fine is around $500.
I will concede we are on opposite ends of the spectrum , I have never paid less than $10 for a night of camping unless I camped in my own back yard.
As far as dispensing gas in Oregon, if you boys want to turn something said in jest into a political diatribe , be my guest.
My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to Oregon, great scenery , parks and extremely friendly people with REAL down home hospitality.

Tags
light, porch light, solar