Solo travelers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
Of course I'm not travelling yet.... but in the next couple years, when I do, it will be as a solo traveler. I see that there are a lot of solo women travellers - such as this site's own RVSue (hi Sue!).

I'm looking forward to it! I believe a 17' Casita will be just plenty of room for me.. and yes, I might just have a couple dogs on hand that would love to join me. LOL.
They are McNabs. The McNab breed is not well defined though, because they were developed for herding, not for show. They are basically a cross between a Border Collie and a Smooth Collie. Both of Scottish origin. Badger is the truest to the breed. Since these dogs are always bred on ranches, they tend to get a little interbred with other breeds. Kiwi has a little something extra in the mix, but who knows what? Badger is 10 and Kiwi 7. Both are very energetic, extremely intelligent, and have great dispositions. They are the most couragous dogs I've ever seen that didn't tend toward aggression. I've seen Badger stand down a 1200 pound bull, but he has never harmed anything. They are not a beginners dog though. They need dog savvy owners or they will out manuever you at every turn. They need to be engaged and challenged. Some breeders won't even sell them as pets, but for me they are the ideal companion. I got both as pups off of working cattle ranches.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #22

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
They are McNabs. The McNab breed is not well defined though, because they were developed for herding, not for show. They are basically a cross between a Border Collie and a Smooth Collie. Both of Scottish origin. Badger is the truest to the breed. Since these dogs are always bred on ranches, they tend to get a little interbred with other breeds. Kiwi has a little something extra in the mix, but who knows what? Badger is 10 and Kiwi 7. Both are very energetic, extremely intelligent, and have great dispositions. They are the most couragous dogs I've ever seen that didn't tend toward aggression. I've seen Badger stand down a 1200 pound bull, but he has never harmed anything. They are not a beginners dog though. They need dog savvy owners or they will out manuever you at every turn. They need to be engaged and challenged. Some breeders won't even sell them as pets, but for me they are the ideal companion. I got both as pups off of working cattle ranches.

David
Fascinating, David! I have never heard of this breed. I can see they are incredible dogs. They do sound like wonderful travelling companions.
I think I'll start a 'travelling with pets' thread so you can post more about them there!