Solo travelers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Solo travelers?

Just wondering how many solo travelers are out there? I've always enjoyed traveling solo, and found it a much different experience to traveling with others. We are a rarer breed though for sure. I work my way along and occasionally get temporary housing in the bargain. Much of the year is spent in the egg though. I have two very well traveled dogs as companions. I've traveled about 21,000 miles in the last 2 years, mostly in the egg. I've been a lifelong traveler though in between work.

So who else is out there? Retired? Working as you go? Long distance travelers or short? Just curious

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Well count me in.

I travel for out of state work frequently and started bringing my own house with me about 10 years ago.

If my residential clients are in town I bring the Egg and if not I stay in the house I am working in.

I have had an Egg in South Florida for the last 4 years on and off I guess and in storage there when I am not there until next time.

I have a lot more fun than just staying in a Hotel although my expenses are covered either way I prefer my own place most of the time.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I have been travelling solo for many years. First, riding a motorcycle with a tent strapped on the back, all across Canada and the US. I moved up to a 13' Trillium a few years ago, after retiring, and now travel with my bob-tailed cat for a companion.

I agree, being solo is a whole different experience. Every place I go, I meet friendly folks.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'm also a solo traveler & although it was more fun when my wife was alive, I still enjoy getting out on the road.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I traveled solo a lot when I was working - would often add a few days of vacation time in at places I had not been to before so I could explore on my own once the actual work part of the trip was over. Liked it as I could explore the local area for things that intreasted me and not have the worry that another party may find what I want to see boring & not of intreast to them. Going half way around the world to look inside an old church or going through an antique shop or spending the day in a museum is not to everyone taste! ;-) Traveling solo also made it a lot easier to change flight plans etc at the last minute. Currently I do camp solo once in awhile but I also tend to camp in places that I know someone else I know is going to be at.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I did engineering consulting work for a couple of small electronic companies in S. California for several years after I retired from a real job. That was the reason I bought the Scamp, to provide a domicile and mobile office for a week or two each month. It worked great for that as I could park it right on the premises and work as long into the night as I needed to get the job done.

Later my wife and I decided to 'just try' the Scamp on a week long trip. We didn't make any changes to the mobile office, but just used it 'as it was'. We were quite surprised how well it went and have made a bunch of changes to make it more habitable for a couple. It is amazing some of the places we've taken it with our 4wd diesel Blazer.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
So far I've been a short distance camper. I just got my boler and will start using it this spring. I've been tent camping for about twenty years and I'd say about half my trips are solo. I've gotten good at finding the out of the way hidden spots were I can be undisturbed in nature. This past summer I spent a week on a small lake in the mountains of interior BC and only saw a ranger once and two ATVers once. Pure bliss. I don't think I'll ever camp at a venue where my neighbours are within twenty feet. Unless it's with kids are an egg meet I've travelled parts of world solo as well but that's a different story. I have to say though sharing that tranquility with the right person is great too.

If anyones is ever in BC and looking for great boondocking sites PM me. I guard them pretty well but i'd rather share with "eggers" than folks that sit around and shoot beer cans with shot guns all night or rip up the area with ATV for hours in the day. Just waiting for them to combine the two sports Different strokes for different….
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
I'm curious about STORING an EGG in Florida!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Well count me in.

I travel for out of state work frequently and started bringing my own house with me about 10 years ago.

If my residential clients are in town I bring the Egg and if not I stay in the house I am working in.

I have had an Egg in South Florida for the last 4 years on and off I guess and in storage there when I am not there until next time.

I have a lot more fun than just staying in a Hotel although my expenses are covered either way I prefer my own place most of the time.

Ed

Ed,
Sounds interesting to me. I think I'd like to snowbird in Florida for 2 or 3 months a year. Where do you camp and where do you store your EGGIE? Is it spendy...how much does a years' storage for a 13' Egg cost?
Thanks, I appreciate all the info I can get before I start looking myself!
BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida Storage

Last winter we were in our son's Casita 16 in Florida when we bought the Scamp 16. We stored the Scamp at Camper Corral near Avon Park on US 27. They have a fenced in storage lot. Camper Corral sells Rvs and has a rather complete parts store.

The price was $100 for 6 months. It was a special for first time renters. I believe the normal price was $30-40 a month.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Ed,
Sounds interesting to me. I think I'd like to snowbird in Florida for 2 or 3 months a year. Where do you camp and where do you store your EGGIE? Is it spendy...how much does a years' storage for a 13' Egg cost?
Thanks, I appreciate all the info I can get before I start looking myself!
BB
I am mainly in the West Palm Beach area so that may affect what I have experienced as everything is pricier there it seems.

I started off keeping a trailer in a clients driveway on the intercoastal waterway in WPB amongst huge homes and lots of people. This worked fine during "The Season" when there were always people around but then in the "Off Season" when that part of town becomes a Ghost Town I was promptly broken into.

So I searched for storage and ended up at a typical storage center in an outside spot for $75.00 a month.
Not cheap but seemed safe?
I found one with a onsite manager living on the property inside the fence.

Then I had a friend down there who upon learning of all this offered to let me stick it in his fenced industrial factory side lot next to his 40' 5th wheel and gave me a key to the gate.
It is a terrible area but is heavily policed and in fact they often sit overnight in the drive where the egg is.

So far no problems except that time in the driveway where I also camped frequently.

I camp wherever I can find a spot.
Again "IN Season" it can be a lot trickier than out of season but I have always managed to find space and in fact during the season is when my clients are there so I will camp or be in a Hotel then where in the off season I will be in there house as they are somewhere else.

Most Florida parks have a 14 day in a row rule but they also offer monthly rates? So it can be easy to work with others to move around as needed but end up back in the park too.

I have camped many times in places people are surprised about and terrified for me because of the area and that can be a problem when you don't know the area and don't know to be scared?
I have never had any issues with locals unless you count the 6' Iguana incident!

The main place I camp is said to be a nasty area but it is quiet in the back of the giant park where the CG is and I am not sure the locals even know the CG is back there?
I stay with 10' of a lakes edge right in the middle of PB County and they have nice showers and free WiFi. There are full hookup sites but I have not used them.

That one is John Prince Park.

I have also rented a space in a Mobile Home park a few times and it can be very reasonable though the Egg looks absolutely silly sitting between the other Mobiles there. If I were doing this on a more regular basis that is probably what I would lean towards if I could find the right spot.

I have gotten so used to being down there that as it gets colder here in the Mid West I am longing to be where it is warm already.

Now if I only spoke Spanish!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #11

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
Park Ranger Plug: if you have a National Park Service "Senior Pass" (aged 62 or up) you can get into most National Parks for free, and camp in any national park site's campground for half the price. It easily pays for itself the first night you use it. (Here for example in South Florida, our campground with electric hookup is 21/night or $10 for seniors.) That's a hard price to beat! It is a 2-week max stay, but for example there's two National Parks in South Florida (Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve) within a few hours drive of each other so there's a one month stay!

Back on topic...

I travel solo often... I work in various places throughout the country (places other people go to on vacation: National Park Sites) and have found it much more convenient to bring my home along with me than try to set up housing at each location for 3 to 6 months.
Just me and my birdie, and my little home on wheels.

Some people think that's quite gutsy of me, being a female "of breeding age" shall we say.... but I've never had any trouble, anywhere along any journey. Then again I don't take unnecessary risks: you won't find me parading about in a bikini. I don't stay overnight at parking lots or truck stops. If I can't find a reasonable price on a campground with electric I tend to go to a basic motel like Motel 6 (which is usually and ironically cheaper) for the night instead, and then get out of that costly area ASAP.

I also tend to allow a slight patina of grime and bugs to collect on the trailer and tow vehicle prior to travel and that grunge tends to tip folks off to this is not a new trailer, I probably don't have much money, and the puny little weird egg is quite unimpressive next to the 200,000 dollar RVs it's dwarfed by nearby. So.... who would bother robbing me?!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For the first time in more than 20+ years, I can honestly say I'm a totally solo traveler. My daughter (and the last dependent person left in my house) was married on November 3. Those that know me, know I was "typically" alone. Now it will be ALWAYS Gotta love a Scamp that slept three, now is absolutely perfect for ONE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Thanks for all the replies! I've read them all and enjoyed. Like some of you, I have traveled by many means. Motorcycle, car, truck/camper. I drove to the east coast with detours 2 summers back and slept in a camper shell. That was a hot one! The Scamp is by far the most palatial traveling I have had.

These are my constant companions: Badger and Kiwi. Badger on the left
Attached Thumbnails
boys on a bench 4.jpg  
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i have enjoyed reading all the other posts about travelling solo....but ed, i would LOVE to hear the 6' iguana story!!!!! PLEASE!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
i have enjoyed reading all the other posts about travelling solo....but ed, i would LOVE to hear the 6' iguana story!!!!! PLEASE!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ght-40402.html

Here is the post I made right after it happened.
I figure the link may tell it more accurately as I have already evidently embellished somewhat from my cloudy memory.

I think you can get the idea though.

They said it was so cold there then that reptiles who sleep in trees went dormant overnight and would lose their grip and just drop.

I am a believer.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #16

On another interesting note I just remembered.
Often when I try to find a camping spot in Florida the park is said to be full.
I always ask again saying I have a small rig ad maybe can get into a tent spot or something another RV may not fit in.

When I say I am in a Casita they never have any idea what I am talking about, if I say I have a Scamp there is instant recognition and often I do get placed somewhere small.

Just kind of interesting the Scamp awareness seems more Generic like the Kleenex of the Egg world?

Also they often think I mean a Teardrop and then they can't wait to see it,Go figure?

Ed
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My vacations are mostly solo, now that my wife doesn't go (at first didn't feel well enough, but now just prefers sitting at home with the computer). At first I felt really odd, even guilty, going off alone. Now I enjoy it. I have only myself to please, can set my own pace, and hike trails she would never have set foot on. I call her every day, and by the time I get back after a long trip we are very glad to see each other. We are each enjoying doing what we like to do.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I've read them all and enjoyed. Like some of you, I have traveled by many means. Motorcycle, car, truck/camper. I drove to the east coast with detours 2 summers back and slept in a camper shell. That was a hot one! The Scamp is by far the most palatial traveling I have had.

Badger and Kiwi are so cute.

Safe travels.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post

Great photo, David! I love seeing pet pictures (perhaps this needs to be another thread! Yes!) I take it Badger is a border collie mix? Great travelling companions no doubt.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #20

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Solo Travel

Of course I'm not travelling yet.... but in the next couple years, when I do, it will be as a solo traveler. I see that there are a lot of solo women travellers - such as this site's own RVSue (hi Sue!).

I'm looking forward to it! I believe a 17' Casita will be just plenty of room for me.. and yes, I might just have a couple dogs on hand that would love to join me. LOL.