Solo travelling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Solo travelling

If you travel alone what do you have in place in case of a medical emergency? As many of you know, my wife passed in May. I've been out twice alone but both times no more than 100 miles from home. I'm concerned because of my age....77. I'm in pretty good health but anything can happen to anybody of any age. I can see that a medical emergency could cause problems for family. I didn't worry about it before because my wife was there to drive, call for help, etc.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob. Sorry to read about your wife. Events like that are difficult to comprehend.

We're 70 and end up in some truly far out places. To protect us we signed up for SkyMed. They'll fly you out of just about anywhere to the hospital of your choice. They also will take your RV home.

It cost around $35 a month and is a good security blanket for Ginny. It's obviouly not inexpensive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Currently I travel with my husband so we have each other to count on if we need to get emergency assistance for one another. Your question got me to thinking, though. I would suggest that you contact the camp host upon arrival and alert them that you are camping alone. Tell them who to contact in case of emergency AND always carry an ICE card (In Case of Emergency). In my experience the camp host or another park representative "makes the rounds" in the early morning and evening to check that "guests" have paid their fees and that all is well in the campground. I'll bet they would be happy to check on you each evening (or early morning if you prefer). This would give you some peace of mind and might provide an opening for you to meet new friends.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Along similar lines, another thing I've given some thought to was whether to lock the door at bedtime. As a single traveller some thought about the amount of damage that might have to be done to get into the trailer if I'm incapacitated.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob I carry an ICE card as well but I also have on my mobile phone a contact entry listed as ICE as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Important things in life

I think one of the important things in life is to enjoy your life. Take some precautions? Yes, but don't obsess over "what could happen". Those the obsess are just as likely, or maybe more likely, to have problems that have very negative results as those that don't obsess.

I look at it this way, precautions within reason, then enjoy what ever you enjoy. You've got to die sometime and I would rather die doing what I really enjoy.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good Sam now has a similar service as to what Norm is referring to. Help with medical issues, flight home, arrange for you trailer to be returned home, plus some other benefits. Check it out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bob. Sorry to read about your wife. Events like that are difficult to comprehend.

We're 70 and end up in some truly far out places. To protect us we signed up for SkyMed. They'll fly you out of just about anywhere to the hospital of your choice. They also will take your RV home.

It cost around $35 a month and is a good security blanket for Ginny. It's obviouly not inexpensive.
MedJet is another to look into. I know some motorcycle riders that are members of it, and I know one that actually had to use it after an accident. Worked well, and got him home to Michigan from Washington.

While I'm on the road, I try to check in with one of my girls at home by text every day or two, to let them know where I am, and if I happen to know where I am heading, I give them that as well. A flight plan, so to speak. And as always, "close your flight plan" when you arrive.

Since I travel in the camper alone with just my dog, I have a card in a holder on the frig door that has contact info, and asking for care for my dog, and spelling out that all costs of taking care and getting her back home to my daughter will be fully reimbursed.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob, when we drove the Trans Labrador Highway we carried a SPOT, SPOT uses satellites and does not depend on cell towers. Pushing a button sends a help message to people you select or to SPOT giving your position anywhere on earth, worse case assume you were out on a hike.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bob, when we drove the Trans Labrador Highway we carried a SPOT, SPOT uses satellites and does not depend on cell towers. Pushing a button sends a help message to people you select or to SPOT giving your position anywhere on earth, worse case assume you were out on a hike.
ok, and while we're on the subject of that, another way of getting emergency help is a PLB ( personal locator beacon ) but one needs to understand that is a last ditch effort to be used only in case of dire emergency, as the signal from them initiates the SAR process from the top level down.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps providing an itinerary with a loved one and a promise to call/text at a specific time every day or whatever works best for you. Remember, not only do you worry about yourself, but those that love you worry about you as well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote