Solved my Problem this Summer Without AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I have been knocking myself out trying to figure out the best way to stay cool this summer in our new '09 Trillium. I have done the research on window AC units, portable floor model AC units and generators. Everything was either going to cost me more than I have right now or clutter the 13 footer with hoses or appliances. I should have realized that there would be an electric fan out there that could run independent of my trailer battery, especially on warm, humid nights at the beach in North Carolina. For $30 we can cool ourselves with an electric fan that runs for 72 hours on 8 "D" batteries.

Have any of you tried this alternative? Seems like a nice, cheap alternative to my problem of staying cool at night and still hear the waves crashing with the windows open. An AC would require the windows closed and the sounds of nature silenced. I can't wait to try it.

Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've used a little version of that when car camping in Florida for a week (October but still very stuffy due to not a lot of screened windows in a car). I bought it at WalMart in desperation. I say "little" version because I think mine was about $15 and took maybe six batteries.

It worked pretty well! I think you could even get an optional 12v, cigarette lighter style plug for it.

Probably not a great solution for long term heavy use, but it did the trick for me for a week

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have a couple that can run on Ac or Dc and only take four batteries but if plugged in, it will charge the batteries. I bought them to use for our disabled dog, who gets overheated and this was a great solution for keeping the air moving. We did a week long camp out at a campground that doesn't have hook ups so I knew he would get frazzeled if he was hot. Found these at wallie world and they worked perfect. I don't think it would cool down the egg if it was really hot out, but certainly would help keep the air moving. Hope you found a solution that works for you...Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Any links to these "exact" products?

Is it something like this?

Thanks.
David Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Any links to these "exact" products?

Is it something like this?

Thanks.
David, I can't find a link to mine or should I say one that looks like mine. But this is the same thing basically but mine only uses 4 D batteries, Rechargable Fan Ac Dc I bought mine last year on sale at Wallie World for like $8. I bought 2 of them and I think they work great for what I needed them for. I don't think that they would cool a trailer down once it got hot but mine are pretty small. And I am at that point in life that if it's hot, I wanna be cooooooooooooooooooool! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Have you considered the Endless Breeze? Runs off you 12V battery. $55 at Camping World. It hangs off the window frame of our windows, and stands alone.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #7

I just wish the endless breeze were a little less power hungry, because they look nice. I did call them to confirm (it was a bit confusing on their site) and they said it draws 1.2 amps. I would love one, but my 12 volt marine (Hella brand) fans draw .2 on low [edit, I guess it's .3, see below], and a bit more (I forget how much at the moment but much less than 1.2 as I remember it) on high.

Not that they are the exact same fan -- I'm sure the EB must move more air - but OTOH the Hella is compact and very aimable.

I can't do photos from this computer, but I will come back and add some of the Hella and of the fan I mentioned earlier (camping section, Wal-Mart, if you can't wait )
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #8

Lloyd,

I went to Wal-Mart's website to see if I could find a photo of the fan I bought, but I don't see it there now. You know how they change products by the week...

Anyway, if you search "O2 cool" fans, you will see a number of similar ones. Mine might even be that brand.

Also, here is a photo of a 12volt Hella Turbo boat fan. It draws .3 amps on low (usually perfecty adequate) and .5 amp on high. You can aim them in pretty much any direction and then tighten the knob to hold it there.

Name:   hella_turbo_fan.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  36.6 KB

Caframo makes a similar fan (except it is frameless and stops if you touch it) that draws .6 amps.

Name:   caframo.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  3.7 KB

If you wanted to use a lighter socket for the Hella, you'd have to wire an end on; the Caframo comes either way. I prefer the Hellas, but they are both good fans.

www.defender.com is a good place to buy the Hella (they may have the Caframos also). It's a large mail order place but family owned. Good prices and the owner will do right by you as well, so it's kind of the best of both worlds.

Raya
Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I just wish the endless breeze were a little less power hungry, because they look nice. I did call them to confirm (it was a bit confusing on their site) and they said it draws 1.2 amps.
One of those $10 mini solar panels meant to give a trickle charge to a battery should pretty much cover that.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #10

Would one of those trickle panels (they are usually 5 watts or so, right) really cover, say 12 amps of draw overnight? (1.2 multiplied by 10 hours, since it's dark at night)

I guess I'm just used to boat living, where we recoil in horror at that kind of amperage draw just for one fan.

OTOH, I know I can be comfortable with a fan that draws .3 amps, which might come in handy if it's cloudy, or I need power for other things.

I'm not dissing the Fantastic fan - they look great. I just wish they were a bit more miserly with power. And even so, they may be just perfect for some people's uses. I may get one myself in the future. I was just surprised that on low they draw four times the power of my Hellas. I don't know how they compare in amount of air moved for that draw though.

Raya