Some folks will steal anything LOL! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
A couple weeks ago, I removed the large and bulky stock rear dinette table from my Burro. I set it on edge outside, leaning against the tongue.

THAT nite, it snowed. Table edge sits in a few inches of snow, sucking up water. Well, thats a gonner.. oh well.

I have left it there, planning on measuring it then moving it to the trash.

I was away on a bidnez trip all week. When I got home on thursday.. it was gone

Who would want a soggy heavy partical board table???

Some folks will take anything.

Proves the theory that if you don't want something, set it outside and someone will steal it. Saves me a trip to the dump.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
did you get the measurements you needed Gina?

I have a friend that told me if I ever needed to get rid of anything, to haul it out to the front yard and put a "For Sale" sign on it....someone will think because I THINK it's valuable...it must be worth stealing

He got rid of an old toilet that way
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina,
How true. But only if it's free. At the utility company where I worked, a mater reader took what he thought was a discarded lawnmower from the alley. Turns out the homeowner set it there to change the oil. It was all resolved satisfactorily with a quick phone call to the local police ! Now are you going to replace it with a lighter weight table?
Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I can't remember whether someone told me this or I read it somewhere (maybe here!), but a reputed way to get rid of your trash is to wrap it carefully in a cardboard box and put it in the open bed of your pickup. Supposedly someone will take it pretty quickly. I know that wouldn't work out here cuz EVERYBODY has a pickup loaded with tools, etc., and nothing ever gets stolen.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #5

Registry
Nah, I didn't get the measurements, but it is easy enuff to do from the inside of the trailer. Measure the catch rails for it. I don't plan on using that as a dinette anyway, so it's not an "In a hurry" thing.

They left the old battery sitting under the tongue. Thats 5 bucks in core charge!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I can't remember whether someone told me this or I read it somewhere (maybe here!), but a reputed way to get rid of your trash is to wrap it carefully in a cardboard box and put it in the open bed of your pickup. Supposedly someone will take it pretty quickly. I know that wouldn't work out here cuz EVERYBODY has a pickup loaded with tools, etc., and nothing ever gets stolen.
And you can leave your house unlocked and the keys in the truck! Life is good everywhere, but some places are better than others.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Life IS good, Vivian and I really like it here! Even when buffalo eat my phone line and mountain lions leave tracks in my driveway.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina:

That's strange!! I've got one sitting in my garage that could be the spitting image of the one you need. Taking up valuable space, it is. Shipping and handling only $739.99. I've no use for it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
People will take anything. Someone I know put a nice looking room size carpet out for the garbage, and someone came by and took it thinking they were getting a nice piece of carpet. I am sure they were very surprised if they went to install it (a mentally challanged person had peed on it many times and it really reaked).
Yep, people will take anything.
Sorry you lost your table. Those tables just are no good in the rain or snow. I warped one just leaving it out over night and it was dewey outside.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #10

Registry
It really is no big loss. I hated it. Weighs a ton!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Out here in California, theft is common. Private security is becoming common place in many neighborhoods. If someone steals your tools or whatever, go to the local swap meet and you may find it for sale along with everyone else's stolen property. I have never seen so many construction power tools for sale by people who do not even know exactly what they are! Welcome to the new century!
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
We live on a busy country road and often put stuff out with a "Free" sign or a For Sale sign, depending on what we want. We make bets to see how long before it goes, either sold or or the free stuff taken.

One day last summer we put an old lawn mover out, that had died months ago. We put it at the end of of the driveway and went to work. We forgot to put the "free" sign on it.
Someone stopped and was putting it into his truck when my 13 year old son went outside. The fellow asked how much it was, my son knew nothing about is, so just said $30, got the money and went back inside.

Sometimes it is best to put a price on it...Then people think they are actually getting a deal!

Let me know what you do to replace your table...I hate those heavy clunkers.
Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #13

Registry
well, I have unjustly accused!

I found the table, flat on it's back, under a foot of snow! The snowplow buried it. The wind must have blown it over and the plow finished the hiding job.

Dang! NOW I have to go to the dump!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #14

Just put it out front with a FOR SALE sign!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Hi all, just talking to a neighbor and fellow maple syrup producer, he went into the back of his sugarhouse a few weeks ago and found half of his firewoood had been stolen durning the winter. Feels like things are getting worse not better. Looking forward to spring and getting the "EGG" OUT!
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
DJD

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
They will take anything

There is a metal salvage yard about two miles from here and I’ve not needed a trip to the dump in years. I put things just off the shoulder early and it’s gone by nightfall.
- On a lighter note, I worked for a milk marketing co-op for many years and at one point, baby calves brought in less than $2 at local auctions. There was a story (or a joke) floating at meetings about a farmer who stopped at the local barber shop with a calf tied in the pickup bed. It was still another four miles out to the auction and when finished at the barber, he came out to find two calves in the bed of the truck.
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shook View Post
Hi all, just talking to a neighbor and fellow maple syrup producer, he went into the back of his sugarhouse a few weeks ago and found half of his firewoood had been stolen durning the winter. Feels like things are getting worse not better. Looking forward to spring and getting the "EGG" OUT!
That is just nasty! There is so much work in chopping wood and then how are you going to replace it with seasoned wood?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #18

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I feel like I should post this anonymously, but that's too much trouble, so here goes.

Many decades ago I lived next to a home where there were two kids who did a little drug dealing. They had jobs that kept their dealing to a bare minimum, so it wasn't too much trouble to us.

At some point, their car broke down and they both lost their jobs and the drug dealing started getting annoying. I talked to them and offered to sell them one of my crappy cars for US$25 if they would promise to get jobs. and cut back on the dealing. They agreed and within a couple of weeks it was much less of a problem.

A few months later, they seemed to get tired of the working man's life and went back to the life of luxury afforded by drug dealing. (Not much of a life for them.)

Then my state decided to implement a new plan: If you get caught buying drugs, you IMMEDIATELY forfeit your car until you are deemed innocent, then you get your car back. So guess what? Now, every 30 minutes, USING MY CAR, these dips drove away, picked up a client, drove back, did the deal, drove away, and returned home. Bah, humbug.

Eventually, the muffler gave out and now, i had to be woken up all night long with them driving clients all over hell and back. Nope, this is not going to last.

There was no way I was going to help them get the muffler repaired, so I went down to the hardware store, bought a nice new 2 Gallon fuel tank, filled it half-way with Karo syrup, the other half with gas, gave it a good swish and accidentally left it in the alleyway across from their driveway (In a location between some garages, not in my driveway.)

Next day, the gas was stolen and the car never returned.

I have no idea what might have happened.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote