Some last minute changes... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some last minute changes...

My unit is now in production and there have been some last minute changes. I have decided upon installing the Dometic 3 way 3' refer in lieu of the 5' 2 way Dometic. My decision was based upon conversations with Escape and research in the various forums re: Dometic. The smaller unit has been more or less unchanged for almost 20 years and it's track record has been proven and is stellar. The larger unit is becoming harder to obtain by Reace. With the smaller unit, Escape will lower the microwave and install a pantry above for additional storage. Although it will draw about 12 ah on 12v, between the solar and my tow vehicle Reace feels it is a viable choice. The freezer is the same size, just one shelf less in the refer section. I have 2 practically new Coleman coolers that would have been relegated to the attic that can now be placed in service for liquid refreshment and keep only food stuff in the refer. Compared to the 1.7' that I had in the Egg Camper, 3.0 will be huge. My T@da had 2x 1.7 refers and I had plenty of room so I feel the 3.0 is a wise choice and I like the 12v option if needed.
I also verified that the Atwood Everest Star 8012 is the furnace and it's draw is less than 2 ah while in operation, something I really wanted.
Also the unit will be shipped to North Carolina as we now have another 19' coming East and this will save on shipping costs to the point where it will be the same as me driving out and back to Chilliwack. Gee, my passport came yesterday. Looks like my next trip out west will not be as rushed as this one would have been.

It's interesting that the person in North Carolina ordered a new Escape 19' sight unseen. I have had the advantage of seeing one in person. Either way, I think this forum and it's members have nothing but positive comments regarding Escape and that people are trying to make their decisions based upon what we say and discuss on the forums. Something to think about!!
Your comments are always welcome...
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Jim, you've blown your chance at the Supermensch Award. Towing back from N Caro likely to be more fun with less pain!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Jim, you've blown your chance at the Supermensch Award. Towing back from N Caro likely to be more fun with less pain!

jack
I guess I was somewhat of a mashugana
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I guess I was somewhat of a mashugana
Better that than a schlemiel!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
You two sound like "Kosher Hams"!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
My unit is now in production and there have been some last minute changes. I have decided upon installing the Dometic 3 way 3' refer in lieu of the 5' 2 way Dometic. My decision was based upon conversations with Escape and research in the various forums re: Dometic. The smaller unit has been more or less unchanged for almost 20 years and it's track record has been proven and is stellar. The larger unit is becoming harder to obtain by Reace. With the smaller unit, Escape will lower the microwave and install a pantry above for additional storage. Although it will draw about 12 ah on 12v, between the solar and my tow vehicle Reace feels it is a viable choice. The freezer is the same size, just one shelf less in the refer section. I have 2 practically new Coleman coolers that would have been relegated to the attic that can now be placed in service for liquid refreshment and keep only food stuff in the refer. Compared to the 1.7' that I had in the Egg Camper, 3.0 will be huge. My T@da had 2x 1.7 refers and I had plenty of room so I feel the 3.0 is a wise choice and I like the 12v option if needed.
I also verified that the Atwood Everest Star 8012 is the furnace and it's draw is less than 2 ah while in operation, something I really wanted.
Also the unit will be shipped to North Carolina as we now have another 19' coming East and this will save on shipping costs to the point where it will be the same as me driving out and back to Chilliwack. Gee, my passport came yesterday. Looks like my next trip out west will not be as rushed as this one would have been.

It's interesting that the person in North Carolina ordered a new Escape 19' sight unseen. I have had the advantage of seeing one in person. Either way, I think this forum and it's members have nothing but positive comments regarding Escape and that people are trying to make their decisions based upon what we say and discuss on the forums. Something to think about!!
Your comments are always welcome...
Do you mean AMPS??

Ah is short for Amp Hours. There's no time element in current draw.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I think the smaller fridge is an excellent choice, Jim. It'll be better to have a small fridge that's full than a big one that's half full. And, as you said drinks can always go in a cooler, if needed. (I'm glad to know the freezer compartment is the same.) Personally, I'd love having the extra "pantry" space.

Remember the pics, when you get it!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
It's interesting that the person in North Carolina ordered a new Escape 19' sight unseen.
I did too. Of course mine was the 6th made, so there was not one to be looked at anyway. I had not seen any other model in person, but talked to a few owners, and to Reace a bunch as well. Made the decision it was worth it, and am real glad I went for it.

You have put lots of thought into yours, it too should serve you well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote